Partick Thistle Vs Airdrieonians -League Cup

jagfox

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

The Club was sending out mixed messages, so it’s not surprising it’s got bumped.

GC was treating it as part of the pre season whilst the Club was pushing it as normal £75/ £50  Curry Hospitality day .

Not really surprised there wasn’t more of an uptake .

Plus, we are in the middle of the holidays.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

The Club was sending out mixed messages, so it’s not surprising it’s got bumped.

GC was treating it as part of the pre season whilst the Club was pushing it as normal £75/ £50  Curry Hospitality day .

Not really surprised there wasn’t more of an uptake .

In what way is he treating it as pre season I’m pretty sure he wants to win every game 

10 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Thistle at 1/2 at home against a lower league team is a decent price. There doesn’t seem to be any goalscorer odds on offer though. 

I think that's a terrible price for what is little more than  a pre season crapshoot.

5/1 Airdrie is  a much better bet given they are realistically more like 3/1

Rarely gamble these days but if I did I'd be looking at lower league teams to get results against teams in higher divisions. Clubs with smaller squads are more likely to play more as a team. Plus from what I've seen there's less of a gap in match fitness in July but above all the lower tier team is less likely to be using the mini league fixtures as some sort of enhanced friendly.

Our game tomorrow may well be no exception. With the strong likelihood we'll play a fair chunk of the game without a proven goalscorer, I wouldn't be taking us on short odds for a win. 

Anyone remember turning up for 1st game of the season vs Clydebank and we had 2 or 3 new players who had been signed Friday night? Callum Campbell was one. Perhaps Ally Love another? It was ‘who the f are these guys?’

We pumped them 3.0 I think. Maybe this will miraculously happen tomorrow!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Anyone remember turning up for 1st game of the season vs Clydebank and we had 2 or 3 new players who had been signed Friday night? Callum Campbell was one. Perhaps Ally Love another? It was ‘who the f are these guys?’

That’s the season we went to Perth and had the first all ticket sell out 1st division game (we got beat) then Lambie left, we got Clark we got poor and sad, then Lambie came back we got better and happy again 

Reading the manager's preview it looks like he's thinking of starting Palmer.  Gordon appears to have got over his knock while Harkins has a non-serious injury.  So midfield is probably Palmer Bannigan with Gordon pushing up to attack.  You can fill in the rest yourselves.

Would like to see us with a 4-4-2 and Cardle and Robson on the wings (apparently Robson can play left midfield as well as full back) though with that I think Gordon should be in and Palmer on the bench.  No doubt we'll see something I didn't think of, like one up front.

Not sure he can play anything else other than 4-4-2. Lack of personnel is limiting options. 

Pretty sure we will see Penrice at some stage in the Betfred cup games in midfield. 

Real lack of options of the bench and looks like he will have to blood some of the development squad. 

I’d like to see us go:

Sneddon

Saunders O’ware Mcginty

Willamsion                                                           Robson

Palmer          Bannigan     

Slater

Miller         Mansell 

8 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

2-1 win I'm sure. Big Callum scored I'm certain of that!

Who was Ally Love?

1 hour ago, That 1 jags fan said:

I’d like to see us go:

Sneddon

Saunders O’ware Mcginty

Palmer          Bannigan     

Slater

Miller         Mansell 

Slater won't be playing. Just back training from injury.

Harkins missing too.

If as has been hinted we're treating these games as some sort of hybrid friendly then I wouldn't be surprised to see us change formation during the game. We can't play trialists and make six or seven subs so changing formation is about the one thing common in friendlies we can do. That said of our three full backs Penrice is the most capable at defending, which I wouldn't say is exactly his strong point either. So that kinda leans towards 3-5-2 (3-5-1-1) as the default formation. To get the best out of Cardle, and assuming Miller plays no where near 90 mins, we'll have to go to a less narrow set up at some point.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If as has been hinted we're treating these games as some sort of hybrid friendly then I wouldn't be surprised to see us change formation during the game. We can't play trialists and make six or seven subs so changing formation is about the one thing common in friendlies we can do. That said of our three full backs Penrice is the most capable at defending, which I wouldn't say is exactly his strong point either. So that kinda leans towards 3-5-2 (3-5-1-1) as the default formation. To get the best out of Cardle, and assuming Miller plays no where near 90 mins, we'll have to go to a less narrow set up at some point.

Have the hints come from players, the manager or fans?

6 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

I’d like to see us go:

Sneddon

Saunders O’ware Mcginty

Palmer          Bannigan     

Slater

Miller         Mansell 

Much as I think that this is how GC would like to start, with another game on Tuesday, I don't see him starting both Miller and Mansell. More likely we will play one up front today with the other coming on after an hour, and the reverse on Tuesday 

As said, Slater is injured, so maybe Penrice starting in midfield, and Cardel somewhere

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

How does last night's game have an impact on our game?

Premier team v championship team. 

No direct impact on our gameof course, i wasn't suggesting it was. Simply a reminder that this stage of the competition being right at the start of the season is simply a reminder to my simplistic of brains that smaller clubs have no fear and will show little regard for any perceived status of bigger clubs is all. 

Still, you manage to get jagfox to laugh.

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Premier team v championship team. 

No direct impact on our gameof course, i wasn't suggesting it was. Simply a reminder that this stage of the competition being right at the start of the season is simply a reminder to my simplistic of brains that smaller clubs have no fear and will show little regard for any perceived status of bigger clubs is all. 

Still, you manage to get jagfox to laugh.

Always makes me happy :)