Partick Thistle Vs Airdrieonians -League Cup

jagfox

I thought Palmer played very well, he bossed the Airdrie players and has some excellent balls kills, was a bit unlucky to hit a very fine shot right at the Airdrie GK. Galasso looked good, put himself about and through sheer persistence managed to create an excellent chance. 

Makes me wonder what would have happened if Penrice had scored at 3 minutes into the match!

PT were okay, a bit too lax, and a better team would / could have embarrassed us, but fair play to Airdrie, they are fit and well organised and can play a bit [their #7 in particular]

Although we had plenty of shots on target, they were always far too near the GK 

Mansell and Millar did not look as good as they should have, and over the course of the season to Xmas, I am not sure that combination will be our best 'forward line'

Work in progress, but phases of our play were enjoyable to watch

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

Just a question …. today's program was a bizarre effort … do you think they produced a normal cup program written by Ms Low and friends, then had to dump the lot of them when the sheriff officers were sent in?

BTW Gary C was in the JH stand with Gerry B half a hour before the match, so those rumours in P&B about Gerry being part of the clear-out were totally wrong

8 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Just a question …. today's program was a bizarre effort … do you think they produced a normal cup program written by Ms Low and friends, then had to dump the lot of them when the sheriff officers were sent in?

BTW Gary C was in the JH stand with Gerry B half a hour before the match, so those rumours in P&B about Gerry being part of the clear-out were totally wrong

After match comments from Caldwell Hoping to have two new signings next week 

Great to start the season with a win. I felt we controlled large portions of the match and our back 3 looked solid. Their goalkeeper stopped it being 2 or 3-0 and their number 7 was lively. 

Cardle stood out as being very positive on the ball, looking to make things happen, while everyone else was either okay (Gordon, Penrice, Mansell) or good (the rest). Need to see more of him to be sure but reckon Palmer could be a great signing. 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Not too sure about Kenny Miller, early days but seems a downgrade on what he had

I thought he played intelligently and was constantly talking to other players which  assume is what GC wants from him.

Makes good runs and you can see he knows what he is doing. 

I thought the 3 at the back did not work. Airdrie played with 3 upfront but two of them were dropping deep into the space between defense and midfield and causing us problems.  They shut down Banzo and tried to force us to play from the backline similar to what happened in the last Alloa game at home. 

Thought we would have gone 4 at the back in the second half but Caldwell choose to bring on Palmer and he steadied the ship. Cammy looked good in the 45 mins he was on the pitch and is technically very good. The question is how he will do in the rough and tumble of the league. 

Ryan Williamson did okay on his first game. Still to me looks a bit raw and still a work in progress. He really needs to get closer to the touchline where the space is. 

Overall good to get the win but looked like we don't as of yet have the same quality we had in the second half of the season. 

Hamilton game will tell us more. 

41 minutes ago, Emsca said:

So just to be clear, you are happy with the manager?

Were you out in the sun too long with TL and are seeing words that aren’t there? In my one comment about today’s game I never said anything about not being happy with the manager nor did I mention anything about wanting him sacked. Jeezo.

Very preseason in first half . stepped it up in 2nd for a while. Plenty of shots on goal from outside the box which we didn't do last season. Good to see oware back.  Cardle was good and Palmer looked like a player.  On another day miller would've scored 2. Not bad considering we've not played any proper games til today.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I thought Palmer played very well, he bossed the Airdrie players and has some excellent balls kills, was a bit unlucky to hit a very fine shot right at the Airdrie GK. Galasso looked good, put himself about and through sheer persistence managed to create an excellent chance. 

Makes me wonder what would have happened if Penrice had scored at 3 minutes into the match!

PT were okay, a bit too lax, and a better team would / could have embarrassed us, but fair play to Airdrie, they are fit and well organised and can play a bit [their #7 in particular]

Although we had plenty of shots on target, they were always far too near the GK 

Mansell and Millar did not look as good as they should have, and over the course of the season to Xmas, I am not sure that combination will be our best 'forward line'

Work in progress, but phases of our play were enjoyable to watch

Ran out of likes.

Their number 7, Craig Thomson, had an excellent 1st half. Ran out of steam 2nd half. Reminded me of paddy Kelly.

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

That's no good. If their neutered they wont have the balls for a fight.

Give Mr Tiddles time to adjust to life at Firhill; for the first few home matches, he’ll need to get a feline for how we play. 

• Haha 1