Partick Thistle Vs Airdrieonians -League Cup

jagfox

40 minutes ago, sandy said:

Give Mr Tiddles time to adjust to life at Firhill; for the first few home matches, he’ll need to get a feline for how we play. 

Thought you had taken a break from punting on Thistle?  :wacko:

Edited by scotty

A few comments based on the 20-min highlights on Jagzone:

I kind of feel for the Airdrie keeper; played a blinder, then loses an unlucky og.

Cardle is great at getting around and past defenders; he'll be a handful.

Bannigan looked the business.

Early days yet for Miller, but if that had been Doolan yesterday some people would already be saying he's done, finished...

Definitely looked a better team than at just about any point last season.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

A few comments based on the 20-min highlights on Jagzone:

I kind of feel for the Airdrie keeper; played a blinder, then loses an unlucky og.

Cardle is great at getting around and past defenders; he'll be a handful.

Bannigan looked the business.

Early days yet for Miller, but if that had been Doolan yesterday some people would already be saying he's done, finished...

Definitely looked a better team than at just about any point last season.

Good to see with the highlights that they have added a camera behind the goal to give a different angle for goals.

16 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Just a question …. today's program was a bizarre effort … do you think they produced a normal cup program written by Ms Low and friends, then had to dump the lot of them when the sheriff officers were sent in?

BTW Gary C was in the JH stand with Gerry B half a hour before the match, so those rumours in P&B about Gerry being part of the clear-out were totally wrong

Yes,,wished them both a successful  season.

16 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

I thought the 3 at the back did not work. Airdrie played with 3 upfront but two of them were dropping deep into the space between defense and midfield and causing us problems.  They shut down Banzo and tried to force us to play from the backline similar to what happened in the last Alloa game at home. 

Thought we would have gone 4 at the back in the second half but Caldwell choose to bring on Palmer and he steadied the ship. Cammy looked good in the 45 mins he was on the pitch and is technically very good. The question is how he will do in the rough and tumble of the league. 

Ryan Williamson did okay on his first game. Still to me looks a bit raw and still a work in progress. He really needs to get closer to the touchline where the space is. 

Overall good to get the win but looked like we don't as of yet have the same quality we had in the second half of the season. 

Hamilton game will tell us more. 

I thought McGinty looked particularly vulnerable when isolated against their 9 or 7.  They made him look slow and clumsy.  I think last season Penrice was under instructions to hang back a little at times and offer extra protection down that wing.  Today he was looking to get forward a lot more.   Not sure if he'll maybe get better as the season progresses with O'Ware's influence, can only hope as 3 at the back seems the manager's preference.

38 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

I thought McGinty looked particularly vulnerable when isolated against their 9 or 7.  They made him look slow and clumsy.  I think last season Penrice was under instructions to hang back a little at times and offer extra protection down that wing.  Today he was looking to get forward a lot more.   Not sure if he'll maybe get better as the season progresses with O'Ware's influence, can only hope as 3 at the back seems the manager's preference.

I think over the last few years under Archie’s and Caldwell’s remit the 3 or 5 at the back hasn’t really worked , IMO you need athletic wing backs to give you width and possibly a ball playing centre back to possibly give you an extra man in midfield at times . Over the last few years , not sure we’ve had the personnel to play that system.

The last time I remember that system working well for us was when O’Donnell and ATS were the wing backs.

On 7/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, sandy said:

Yep...if only we had an experienced striker like Doolan.

If your taking a year off you would be able to follow Ayr.  Forgot you lied about that.

never ever seen anyone feel the need to post to everyone that they were taking a year off anyway.  Extraordinary behaviour sort of thing a spoiled 5 year old brat would do.  Then make an announcement your back, honestly with your behaviour you really can’t have one of your petty digs at others ever again 

people probably take breaks from the forum all the time but don’t feel the need to make announcements about it. Must be some ego you have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

On 7/13/2019 at 5:36 PM, jlsarmy said:

So cutting to the chase TL , we’re going to get owners who don’t give a toss about our Club

Time will tell jls.  I don’t think if it is that pair given they are billionaires with worldwide companies which would obviously generate far more money, I certainly don’t think we will be near their top priority unfortunately, but who knows, would certainly prefer it if the likes of Beattie stayed- don’t honestly know if he will or not TBH

21 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If your taking a year off you would be able to follow Ayr.  Forgot you lied about that.

never ever seen anyone feel the need to post to everyone that they were taking a year off anyway.  Extraordinary behaviour sort of thing a spoiled 5 year old brat would do.  Then make an announcement your back, honestly with your behaviour you really can’t have one of your petty digs at others ever again 

people probably take breaks from the forum all the time but don’t feel the need to make announcements about it. Must be some ego you have. 

I'm fairly sure Sandy had said something about going to watch Forres Mechanics rather than a team in our division. Having watched the intensity with which we played the game yesterday I wouldn't criticise, and in fact would sympathise, with anyone who opted to watch their local non league club. 

I think tho', TL, you're taking the forum far too seriously. 

• Like 1

Third Lanark has a point. Sandy has an insufferable smugness about him. Sort of opinionated prick who thinks he’s right about everything. Probably the sort of bore who sits in the local golf club ripping some pro on the tele who’s bogeyed two in a row while unable to break 100 himself 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Third Lanark has a point. Sandy has an insufferable smugness about him. Sort of opinionated prick who thinks he’s right about everything. Probably the sort of bore who sits in the local golf club ripping some pro on the tele who’s bogeyed two in a row while unable to break 100 himself 

Get some fresh air. Enjoy our next win.

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Big Col said:

Were you out in the sun too long with TL and are seeing words that aren’t there? In my one comment about today’s game I never said anything about not being happy with the manager nor did I mention anything about wanting him sacked. Jeezo.

So I repeat -are you  happy with the manager? Yes or No?

6 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

That is because he is slow and clumsy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Emsca said:

So I repeat -are you  happy with the manager? Yes or No?

Not sure what difference it makes , Caldwell polarises opinion amongst supporters as did Archie in his final days .     Same goes with Lennon at Celtic 

Its all about opinions , there is no right or wrong answer,  Gary Caldwell will be judged ultimately on his decisions and results.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I think over the last few years under Archie’s and Caldwell’s remit the 3 or 5 at the back hasn’t really worked , IMO you need athletic wing backs to give you width and possibly a ball playing centre back to possibly give you an extra man in midfield at times . Over the last few years , not sure we’ve had the personnel to play that system.

The last time I remember that system working well for us was when O’Donnell and ATS were the wing backs.

I absolutely loved watching us back then.

17 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

SOD and ATS played like that while we were only playing with two central defenders. It's no wonder we were so entertaining back then. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

Both McGinty and Mansell look as if they're not being played in their best positions. McGinty at the back is error-prone, but he strides purposefully forward through the midfield. Mansell has nifty footwork, is tall and looks strong but doesn't look like scoring very often. Maybe Mansell should be a centre-back and McGinty a striker. :D

• Like 1