Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jagfox

Partick Thistle Vs Airdrieonians -League Cup

Recommended Posts

I thought Palmer played very well, he bossed the Airdrie players and has some excellent balls kills, was a bit unlucky to hit a very fine shot right at the Airdrie GK. Galasso looked good, put himself about and through sheer persistence managed to create an excellent chance. 

Makes me wonder what would have happened if Penrice had scored at 3 minutes into the match!

PT were okay, a bit too lax, and a better team would / could have embarrassed us, but fair play to Airdrie, they are fit and well organised and can play a bit [their #7 in particular]

Although we had plenty of shots on target, they were always far too near the GK 

Mansell and Millar did not look as good as they should have, and over the course of the season to Xmas, I am not sure that combination will be our best 'forward line'

Work in progress, but phases of our play were enjoyable to watch

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

36in human years , still younger than KM , think he’ll do 

And he’s better looking ....

96BD2087-C0AE-4E92-AC62-82DEE48D6D05.thumb.png.4592714cde677818b3c5b51ec25ba7d4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a question …. today's program was a bizarre effort … do you think they produced a normal cup program written by Ms Low and friends, then had to dump the lot of them when the sheriff officers were sent in?

BTW Gary C was in the JH stand with Gerry B half a hour before the match, so those rumours in P&B about Gerry being part of the clear-out were totally wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Just a question …. today's program was a bizarre effort … do you think they produced a normal cup program written by Ms Low and friends, then had to dump the lot of them when the sheriff officers were sent in?

BTW Gary C was in the JH stand with Gerry B half a hour before the match, so those rumours in P&B about Gerry being part of the clear-out were totally wrong

After match comments from Caldwell Hoping to have two new signings next week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, javeajag said:

My cat could have scored two against Berwick 

I think it was on the scoresheet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to start the season with a win. I felt we controlled large portions of the match and our back 3 looked solid. Their goalkeeper stopped it being 2 or 3-0 and their number 7 was lively. 

Cardle stood out as being very positive on the ball, looking to make things happen, while everyone else was either okay (Gordon, Penrice, Mansell) or good (the rest). Need to see more of him to be sure but reckon Palmer could be a great signing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Kenny Miller couldn’t hit a cows arse with a machine gun 

Could he hit it with James McKinstry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Galasso looked more of a threat and combined better with Miller than Mansell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Also amazing when playing a team 4 leagues below them.

Last time Ayr played a competitive game against a team so many leagues below them, they lost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Col said:

Where did I say that I wanted him sacked? Jeez - you been out in the sun too long?

So just to be clear, you are happy with the manager?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st half we played like it was a training game with very little pace or creativity. Their no 7 was the pick of the players. We came out and played with much more tempo in the 2nd half until we scored. We then played as if the game was already done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Last time Ayr played a competitive game against a team so many leagues below them, they lost.

That’s why I said most of the time in my other post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Not too sure about Kenny Miller, early days but seems a downgrade on what he had

I thought he played intelligently and was constantly talking to other players which  assume is what GC wants from him.

Makes good runs and you can see he knows what he is doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Kenny Miller couldn’t hit a cows arse with a machine gun 

You probably struggle to open the lock to you're door

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the 3 at the back did not work. Airdrie played with 3 upfront but two of them were dropping deep into the space between defense and midfield and causing us problems.  They shut down Banzo and tried to force us to play from the backline similar to what happened in the last Alloa game at home. 

Thought we would have gone 4 at the back in the second half but Caldwell choose to bring on Palmer and he steadied the ship. Cammy looked good in the 45 mins he was on the pitch and is technically very good. The question is how he will do in the rough and tumble of the league. 

Ryan Williamson did okay on his first game. Still to me looks a bit raw and still a work in progress. He really needs to get closer to the touchline where the space is. 

Overall good to get the win but looked like we don't as of yet have the same quality we had in the second half of the season. 

Hamilton game will tell us more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Emsca said:

So just to be clear, you are happy with the manager?

Were you out in the sun too long with TL and are seeing words that aren’t there? In my one comment about today’s game I never said anything about not being happy with the manager nor did I mention anything about wanting him sacked. Jeezo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that it was a nice touch by Ryan Williamson to pay tribute to his predecessor at right wingback Christie Elliott by wearing a plaster cast on his hand/arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very preseason in first half . stepped it up in 2nd for a while. Plenty of shots on goal from outside the box which we didn't do last season. Good to see oware back.  Cardle was good and Palmer looked like a player.  On another day miller would've scored 2. Not bad considering we've not played any proper games til today.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
4 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I thought Palmer played very well, he bossed the Airdrie players and has some excellent balls kills, was a bit unlucky to hit a very fine shot right at the Airdrie GK. Galasso looked good, put himself about and through sheer persistence managed to create an excellent chance. 

Makes me wonder what would have happened if Penrice had scored at 3 minutes into the match!

PT were okay, a bit too lax, and a better team would / could have embarrassed us, but fair play to Airdrie, they are fit and well organised and can play a bit [their #7 in particular]

Although we had plenty of shots on target, they were always far too near the GK 

Mansell and Millar did not look as good as they should have, and over the course of the season to Xmas, I am not sure that combination will be our best 'forward line'

Work in progress, but phases of our play were enjoyable to watch

Ran out of likes.

Their number 7, Craig Thomson, had an excellent 1st half. Ran out of steam 2nd half. Reminded me of paddy Kelly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Heard one of the signings is a neutered tabby named Mr Tiddles.

That's no good. If their neutered they wont have the balls for a fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

That's no good. If their neutered they wont have the balls for a fight.

Give Mr Tiddles time to adjust to life at Firhill; for the first few home matches, he’ll need to get a feline for how we play. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Not too sure about Kenny Miller, early days but seems a downgrade on what he had

A downgrade on Storey 

Racking my brains here.......maybe Mattias Pogba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×