Still Plenty Time or Time to be concerned

Paukea

While there’s no doubt we still have plenty time for signings I can’t help but feel slightly concerned at present. We have been promised 2-3 players coming in for the last 3 weeks now and we finally get an 18year old Rangers Kid who has never made a first team appearance. (Shades of a panic buy to me as I know he seen the boy for the first time the night before at a bounce game at Murray park)

lack of signings -17 currently signed but this could be argued as 16 as I don’t believe Callum Wilson will be a first team pick. I believe we are currently 3rd bottom in terms of signed players. Our squad depth is non existent.

lack of quality - this for me is The biggest concern. Only my opinion but Gk slots, big Tam, Stuart Bannigan, Joe Cardle (if he plays him) and Maybe Senior Citizen Miller have the quality needed to be part of a league winning side. We have zero pace and only Cardle who has any Attacking creativity. We are way off a Championship winning team and need to add real quality to even think about challenging. GC has said we have a very strong first 11 but I couldn’t disagree more unfortunately.

Add to this the failure to sell hospitality for  the Airdrie match and failing to generate much interest in the second meet the manager night. Are things really ok.

Time to be concerned?

Edited by Paukea
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paukea said:

While there’s no doubt we still have plenty time for signings I can’t help but feel slightly concerned at present. We have been promised 2-3 players coming in for the last 3 weeks now and we finally get an 18year old Rangers Kid who has never made a first team appearance. (Shades of a panic by to me as I know he seen the boy for the first time the night before at a bounce game at Murray park)

lack of signings -17 currently signed but this could be argued as 16 as I don’t believe Callum Wilson will be a first team pick. I believe we are currently 3rd bottom in terms of signed players. Our squad depth is non existent.

lack of quality - this for me is The biggest concern. Only my opinion but Gk slots, big Tam, Stuart Bannigan, Joe Cardle (if he plays them) and Maybe Senior Citizen Miller have the quality needed to be part of a league winning side. We have zero pace and only Cardle who has any Attacking creativity. We are way off a Championship winning team and need to add real quality to even think about challenging. GC has said we have a very strong first 11 but I couldn’t disagree more unfortunately.

Add to this the failure to sell hospitality for  the Airdrie match and failing to generate much interest in the second meet the manager night. Are things really ok.

Time to be concerned?

Yip 

I think our starting 11 isn't too bad, as soon as injuries / suspensions happen we are in trouble!

Your point about lack of pace and creativity are correct IMO though I think our starting 11 does look a bit tougher than previous seasons. We have looked a bit weak over the last few years!

2 hours ago, Paukea said:

I believe we are currently 3rd bottom in terms of signed players.

Four teams have bigger first team squads.  Three have the same number of players. Three have less. Your comments concerning quality might turn out to be prescient, but numbers don't concern me currently. 

On the point of quality, what's your assessment of the bigger squads? I mean, Ayr are one of those sides, but they've lost Shankland, Rose and Smith and signed two Premiership loanees, one of whom has a single first-team appearance to his name - a "panic" signing in your terms.

To be truthful I'm more disinterested than worried at the moment. I value a squad on a sustainability and growth factors more than just what it could do for the coming season. Getting promoted when you're not prepared and little in place for the top division could prove to be more harmful than just missing out.

Till there's more pace and longer term potential in the squad I'll possibly remain a bit so so. Certainly not that worried. 

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

To be truthful I'm more disinterested than worried at the moment. I value a squad on a sustainability and growth factors more than just what it could do for the coming season. Getting promoted when you're not prepared and little in place for the top division could prove to be more harmful than just missing out.

Till there's more pace and longer term potential in the squad I'll possibly remain a bit so so. Certainly not that worried. 

Agree with this assessment.

I'm taking more of a long term view. GC last season, his priority, despite the initial statements from the club as promotion, was avoiding relegation. Last season was not the first stage of any long term plan. That starts this season. 

On the basis that this is the first season in a three years strategy, I'm looking for progress in terms of players improving and a successful formation with  a gateway for young players to the first team as evidence of a long term strategy by the manager. So progress would include not being involved in a scrap at the bottom of the league and being, at the very least in the mix for play offs at the end of the season. 

Can I just add, I am assuming a 3 to 5 years strategy, as that is the norm but am aware there's been no statement of intent by anyone, that I'm aware of. So I'm not panicking yet, lifes way too short.

Short term, certainly in terms of this transfer window, I’ve moved from slightly concerned to very worried. I think it is clear that until the off field shenanigans are resolved, the recruitment is going to suffer. Does GC even know if he will have a job ? While the first 11 looks fine, the squad as a whole looks weaker than I’d like and I can’t see Miller/Mansell getting us promoted without some help