Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Fawlty Towers

New Rules

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Camallain said:

Reading through that I seriously doubt if any of these rule changes are actually going to improve the game .

I like the new rule about drop ball where the team gets the ball back where they last had it when play was stopped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that this had been proposed but thought it would've been disregarded 

Quote

When a defending team has three or more players in a wall, the attacking team can no longer place a player in or next to it.

I didn't think the word "wall" was terminology within the rulebook. What then constitutes a "wall"? How far apart do the defenders have to be not to be considered a "wall"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players being subbed having to leave the field at nearest point to touch line rather than halfway is positive from time wasting perspective imo.

Would like to see by kicks having to be taken from the side of goal the ball went out of play, same as corners, to cut down on keepers taking the piss too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I've read it right, the change to the goalie handling rule means that the free kick given against Sneddon for handling in the East Fife game wouldn't have occurred under these new rules, so that's an improvement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Hand ball section will take a bit of digesting for me. The cards for coaches doesn't seem proportionate but I would expect managers and coaches would have had some input to these rule changes or is that being naive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This link gives far clearer explanations than the BBC     http://theifab.com/document/for-football-bodies

It should also be remembered that referees don't just read the law changes, but have to attend seminars about them, and workshop the applications and outcomes.  I'll be interested to see the coming "debates" around them, especially handball, but when you look at the changes to that particular law it makes it far easier to interpret. 

Red and yellow cards in the technical area should hopefully temper the behaviour there, especially if the actual offender can't be identified, then the senior coach in the technical area gets the card. So it's up to the coach to keep his officials in check.

Teams having the option of choice of ends of kick off at the coin toss is reverting back to the same as it used to be years ago, when the choice having kick off was removed.

The BBC didn't mention the change to the "back pass" law. From this season if the ball is deliberately kicked to the GK by a team mate, or he receives it directly from a team mates throw in, he can handle it if he CLEARLY kicks or ATTEMPTS to kick the ball to release it into play

 

Edited by Exiled AusJag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The change to the ball having to leave the area before it is in play was designed to stop a player wasting time by going into the box to receive the ball thus forcing the bye-kick to be retaken. But if the attacking players are not allowed in the box whats to stop the keeper taking a short kick and him/her and the defender watching the ball for some time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scotty said:

The change to the ball having to leave the area before it is in play was designed to stop a player wasting time by going into the box to receive the ball thus forcing the bye-kick to be retaken. But if the attacking players are not allowed in the box whats to stop the keeper taking a short kick and him/her and the defender watching the ball for some time?

Attacking player can enter box as soon as ball is struck.  It is one of these law changes that is fair enough for adults, but actually makes things harder for kids, especially in their first year at 11s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I heard that this had been proposed but thought it would've been disregarded 

I didn't think the word "wall" was terminology within the rulebook. What then constitutes a "wall"? How far apart do the defenders have to be not to be considered a "wall"? 

My own immediate thoughts too, I didn't think 'wall' was  official terminology - indeed,  how do you interpret/enforce this rule?

One of my long term moans has been about throw ins. This is football, not handball, not gaelic football, not rugby etc etc. I think the ball should be played in from the touchline with the feet.

Maybe, that's just because we've always seem so sheyte at throw ins right enough ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
33 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

My own immediate thoughts too, I didn't think 'wall' was  official terminology - indeed,  how do you interpret/enforce this rule?

One of my long term moans has been about throw ins. This is football, not handball, not gaelic football, not rugby etc etc. I think the ball should be played in from the touchline with the feet.

Maybe, that's just because we've always seem so sheyte at throw ins right enough ...

This is a very interesting point Semi. I  played some games many many years ago where the throw ins were replaced by kick ins. It was just a summer league, nothing if note and I have no idea who or whose idea it was, what body was responsible for experimenting.

The main rule was that the team taking the throw/kick in had only a short set period in which to take it thus avoiding them being used like a free kick. It was something like 5 or 10 seconds once the ball was retrieved. The main idea was to keep the game flowing which as I remember, it did. Because of the short time you had to take the kick the focus was on keeping possession and short kicks were the norm. If you were right up the pitch attacking and the opposition were chasing to get back there would be benefit of hoofing it into the area but cos you only had 5 to 10 seconds accuracy was in short supply. Great fun though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a subbed player leaving by the quickest route. However I feel it would be unfair if a player being subbed because he's injured having to limp round the perimeter and expect refs will maybe just apply the status quo in such cases. If that be the case I'd expect to see a subbed player suddenly discovering an injury when about to leave the pitch. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Re players sent off having to leave the field at the nearest touchline, going to be fun at a old firm game at Ibrox and parkhead when a visitor player gets a red.

 

The Law change allows for refs to let players leave at halfway as before in “hostile situations “.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

This is a very interesting point Semi. I  played some games many many years ago where the throw ins were replaced by kick ins. It was just a summer league, nothing if note and I have no idea who or whose idea it was, what body was responsible for experimenting.

The main rule was that the team taking the throw/kick in had only a short set period in which to take it thus avoiding them being used like a free kick. It was something like 5 or 10 seconds once the ball was retrieved. The main idea was to keep the game flowing which as I remember, it did. Because of the short time you had to take the kick the focus was on keeping possession and short kicks were the norm. If you were right up the pitch attacking and the opposition were chasing to get back there would be benefit of hoofing it into the area but cos you only had 5 to 10 seconds accuracy was in short supply. Great fun though

Compromise position - to avoid deliberate time wasting (e.g. excessive time taken to place the ball on the touchline etc.) - free kick must be  taken within x seconds from hand, or lose possession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the free kick and wall, it says that an attacking player can’t be within 1 yard of the wall when the ball is kicked. What is to stop a couple of players disrupting the wall, then running out as the kicker starts their run up ? Could cause all sorts of disruption if you get it right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

On the free kick and wall, it says that an attacking player can’t be within 1 yard of the wall when the ball is kicked. What is to stop a couple of players disrupting the wall, then running out as the kicker starts their run up ? Could cause all sorts of disruption if you get it right

Don't think your scenario is possible.

"When a defending team has three or more players in a wall, the attacking team can no longer place a player in or next to itIf an attacker is standing within one yard (1m) of the wall when the kick is taken, they will be penalised with an indirect free-kick."

A good defence for a free kick would be to have a two man wall. As the kicker runs up, a third player joins the wall and, as the ball is hit, any nearby attacker is penalised.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure what was wrong from a footballing point of view with having an attacker in the wall. I get the impression that Fifa looked upon that tactic as gamesmanship and hence the rule change. I can't say I ever thought it so and can't see the footballing benefit of the new rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that a new rule in force last night when ref got in the way of an attack of ours and after 30secs or so awarded a free kick in same spot once the move broke down?  From my vantage point away the length of the pitch I did not see any other reason for the awarding of the free kick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Was that a new rule in force last night when ref got in the way of an attack of ours and after 30secs or so awarded a free kick in same spot once the move broke down?  From my vantage point away the length of the pitch I did not see any other reason for the awarding of the free kick.

Aye but he still got it wrong!  He gave a bounce ball but it should have been a free kick as the ref's interference caused possession to be lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, scotty said:

Aye but he still got it wrong!  He gave a bounce ball but it should have been a free kick as the ref's interference caused possession to be lost.

A drop ball (uncontested) where the player last touched it was the correct decision according to the new rules.

The 30 seconds play before awarding it I’m less sure about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, Jago1953 said:

Rules are for the guidance of the wise & obedience of fools . Scottish referees please take note.

Who said that? I like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×