Queens park game at Airdrie

Rid Skwerr

Thought Cardle and Gordon had  a quiet night, Robson's  performance was encouraging, Williamson done well but needs to get forward more often, McGinty and O'Ware need to move the ball forward quicker, Bannigan was solid, Palmer did ok, Millar was getting frustrated and came back into the midfield area to often, think he went off injured rather than a tactical decision. Mansell worked hard when he came on and Jones looked a player.

Onward and upward, 2 wins on the board.

Big game at Hamilton on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Surprised to see people pleased with Miller and Palmer. Miller took his goal well but seems to play most of the game on the half way line - leaving nobody up front. And Palmer was invisible for the majority of the game.

A win is indeed a win, but it was a win against a League Two side who were very poor. Enormous improvements needed - and a number of quality signings - if we want to challenge this year. 

Can’t believe the way Caldwell sets up , one player up front against Queens Park !

Impressed with Tommy Robson , think Penrice is going to have a job getting his place there but maybe as someone said Penrice could even do a job as a holding midfielder .

Need a least another 3 or 4 players to make any sort of challenge.

The 3-5-2 is going to make for some pretty dull long ball football. Our main attacking tactic seemed to consist of long balls in behind the Queens left back for Williamson or Gordon to try and get on to. We bypassed the midfield for most of the night which is a bit daft when you have players like Bannigan and Cardle. Both goals came from quick passing moves through midfield with Robson provding the width which was about the only time we got the ball down in the first half.

Palmer looked out of his depth and I was surprised he lasted the whole game. Williamson look reasonable in forward areas but not great defensively. We've still not figured out where to play Gordon. The 3 at the back playing out from within their own box will cause us problems if we continue with it.

Saunders defended well but distribution was terrible, McGinty's distribution was really good but he was weak in the air. O'Ware strolled it. Penrice in midfield brought a bit of balance and compsoure so hopefully we'll see him in midfield with Robson at left-back. Mansell looked lost when he came on and it looked like he missed McDonald to talk him through the game.

We have a group of players that would better fit a 4-4-2 so the last few signings need to be first team players who can make a 3-5-2 work. I think we'll need at least another centre back, another right back, a commanding central defensive midfielder, a winger and a striker with pace (difficult to judge Jones but he doesn't look that much faster than Miller or Mansell)

We look well short of a team that will challenge at the top both in terms of personel and style of play.

A couple of folk I talked to thought the formation and team selection was simply Caldwell wanting to go thru the paces. I'll reluctantly go along with that as I don't believe any manager would play three centrebacks and two defensive mids to compete against a team two divisions below.

Cardle and Gordon did a fair amount of running trying to support the wingbacks and at the same time not leave Miller isolated. Joe particularly looked completely knackered a good bit before he was subbed. Gordon maybe didn't have a great game but he had quite a thankless task tonight. Williamson as most of us probably knew is an out and out wingback. Robson to me doesn't look a typical wingback, more a wide midfielder. Could almost play him like a left sided Fitzpatrick.

Have to say wasn't a great game by any standards but what worries me is how we switch off so easily, especially when we let the other team have so much possession (part of the tactics from what I can see)

Also, when are we going to get someone that actually does the dirty work. Every single team we play bully us because they have one or two players not afraid to be a dirty player.  Meanwhile half the time we look afraid to tackle or challenge people. Queens bullied us the second half because they made it a physical game, and our guys just took it without a single retaliation. 

Hard to judge do early on, but it looks like the same problems as last year, not enough going forward and not enough in defence. Time will tell I suppose and ill happily admit to being wrong if they can prove me wrong!

I think it's too early to make any secure judgements about how we'll perform this season on the basis of the two games so far. I think we can be sure we'll be playing with three at the back in most games (although we went to a back four when Penrice came on last night).

I don't get why there's an assumption that this is a defensive formation. Williamson and Robson were playing more like wingers last night than full backs. I am concerned about Saunders playing on the right of a back three, though, as I don't think he's got the pace for the role and he's guilty of some fairly hairy mistakes. I think we need at least two more defenders in before the end of the window. (Any chance Celtic would loan us Jack Henry to attempt to resurrect his career?)

We also need more creativity from midfield. Cardle is good, but he can't do it all on his own. A replacement for Spittal is a priority.

Saturday should give us a clearer idea of where we are. Hopefully, Accies won't have the same 'Corinthian spirit' as Queen's Park of booting the opposition every chance they get...

It’s glorified pre season I know but...

Don’t like 3 at the back with players we have. It needs someone to communicate in middle. O’Ware too quiet. Get him right side & bring in an organiser in middle.

As soon as QP shut down 2 wingbacks 2nd half we were lost!!

Poster who said about Palmer being a million miles of Championship pace spot on. Rather see Penrice in there. Failing that why not see what Callum Wilson can do? I’ll happily be proved wrong but looked like a little boy lost last night especially 2nd half.

Miller not for me. Dropping far too deep. Needs to run the channels in behind, not make the extra man in midfield. 

Gordon, if he stays fit, will score at least 10 goals this season. Busts a gut to get up top on the end of crosses.

Cardle looks a little bit lost just now. Cant fault work rate but seems unsure of his role imo. 

Jones & Penrice to start up front/midfield on Sat. Miller & Palmer to sit out. 

48 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

I think it's too early to make any secure judgements about how we'll perform this season on the basis of the two games so far. I think we can be sure we'll be playing with three at the back in most games (although we went to a back four when Penrice came on last night).

I don't get why there's an assumption that this is a defensive formation. Williamson and Robson were playing more like wingers last night than full backs. I am concerned about Saunders playing on the right of a back three, though, as I don't think he's got the pace for the role and he's guilty of some fairly hairy mistakes. I think we need at least two more defenders in before the end of the window. (Any chance Celtic would loan us Jack Henry to attempt to resurrect his career?)

We also need more creativity from midfield. Cardle is good, but he can't do it all on his own. A replacement for Spittal is a priority.

Saturday should give us a clearer idea of where we are. Hopefully, Accies won't have the same 'Corinthian spirit' as Queen's Park of booting the opposition every chance they get...

Me neither (providing it's done right and with the right people) - personally I am actually a fan of 3-5-2. Hope I wont be eating my words come 16:50 on Saturday!

Everyone a manager 

Give the players and the manager time to get the team playing the way he wants them to play .

Still talk of players coming in so there will be plenty of changes still to come 

Two wins out of two aint bad 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Caldwell mentioned the surface had a lot to do with the slow movement of the ball and also Cardle was carrying a knock. That was two of my concerns so feel a bit more upbeat today. Thankfully we don't have to play on plastic every week.

To be fair, the ball wasn’t moving that slowly when our centre backs were hoofing it up the park every chance they got. There wasn’t a great deal of evidence of the possession-based, attractive style of football that Caldwell professes to believe in. 

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Caldwell mentioned the surface had a lot to do with the slow movement of the ball and also Cardle was carrying a knock. That was two of my concerns so feel a bit more upbeat today. Thankfully we don't have to play on plastic every week.

We don't play on plastic every week. It will just seem like it as our next 2 away games are on plastic.

Not particularly relevant to us but seeing the results from Saturday and last night in particular teams from our league and even the prem have been struggling big team against lesser opposition with st J’stone, Alloa, Inverness, Qots, united winning slimly and Ayr(admittedly against livi). At the weekend too similar results. So it is encouraging that we’re getting the job done and putting points on the board even if not doing it impressively as such, for me a good sign of any team is to win when playing badly regardless of opposition as many results have shown aren’t ever easy is this group stage setup. Few more bodies in of starting quality oppose to squad depth and I think this will be a positive season.

4 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

To be fair, the ball wasn’t moving that slowly when our centre backs were hoofing it up the park every chance they got. There wasn’t a great deal of evidence of the possession-based, attractive style of football that Caldwell professes to believe in. 

Well I suppose because we couldn't move the ball quickly from the back (due to the surface), by playing three centrebacks the punt up the park is all but inevitable.

We might have to wait to the Dundee Utd game to see just how effective and possession based our playing style is. Before that we've two games at the much slated NDP and the ultra narrow Recs. Neither ideal places to judge a team's style. Being the last in the mini league, the Clyde game at Firhill may be a case of  just not getting beat or something. Not for a minute undermining the importance of these three games but feel it fair not to be too judgmental on Caldwell and our style of play during this spell. Mind you, being not a stranger to hypocrisy I'll most likely break my own rule and be slagging Big Heid long before then :).

Just now, allyo said:

I think teams have to be able to play on plastic these days, it happens so often. So there's no point using it as an excuse.

It's like blaming the sunshine or the moonlight.

Fair comment and all the more valid if we didn't win last night. Equally fair to say that teams have to adapt to playing and winning on such surfaces. And in doing so their normal style of play (assuming it's different) will suffer. 

50 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think teams have to be able to play on plastic these days, it hppens so often. So there's no point using it as an excuse.

It's like blaming the sunshine or the moonlight.

4 minutes ago, Paulo said:

or the good times.

I blame it on the boogie.