Queens park game at Airdrie

Rid Skwerr

6 hours ago, allyo said:

I think teams have to be able to play on plastic these days, it hppens so often. So there's no point using it as an excuse.

It's like blaming the sunshine or the moonlight.

7 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

To be fair, the ball wasn’t moving that slowly when our centre backs were hoofing it up the park every chance they got. There wasn’t a great deal of evidence of the possession-based, attractive style of football that Caldwell professes to believe in. 

Neither last nights game or saturdays will live long in the memory as being great games but far more important we got the win rahter than how we played on a rubbish pitch which hopefully gives a bit more confidence to some of the players

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Neither last nights game or saturdays will live long in the memory as being great games but far more important we got the win rahter than how we played on a rubbish pitch which hopefully gives a bit more confidence to some of the players

Bit worried TL , same system as last year which let  Queens Park pin us back for spells last night , why Gary Caldwell favours this safety first system I’m not sure , at points last night we had 5 at the back , 2 holding midfielders ( Palmer and Bannigan) and nobody upfront as Kenny Miller had drifted back into midfield.  We’ve scraped by in the 2 games bit concerned we’re reverted back to a hard to beat / win system as we did for the majority of last season, don’t think that’s going to get us into the promotion race .

21 hours ago, laukat said:

The 3-5-2 is going to make for some pretty dull long ball football. Our main attacking tactic seemed to consist of long balls in behind the Queens left back for Williamson or Gordon to try and get on to. We bypassed the midfield for most of the night which is a bit daft when you have players like Bannigan and Cardle. Both goals came from quick passing moves through midfield with Robson provding the width which was about the only time we got the ball down in the first half.

Palmer looked out of his depth and I was surprised he lasted the whole game. Williamson look reasonable in forward areas but not great defensively. We've still not figured out where to play Gordon. The 3 at the back playing out from within their own box will cause us problems if we continue with it.

Saunders defended well but distribution was terrible, McGinty's distribution was really good but he was weak in the air. O'Ware strolled it. Penrice in midfield brought a bit of balance and compsoure so hopefully we'll see him in midfield with Robson at left-back. Mansell looked lost when he came on and it looked like he missed McDonald to talk him through the game.

We have a group of players that would better fit a 4-4-2 so the last few signings need to be first team players who can make a 3-5-2 work. I think we'll need at least another centre back, another right back, a commanding central defensive midfielder, a winger and a striker with pace (difficult to judge Jones but he doesn't look that much faster than Miller or Mansell)

We look well short of a team that will challenge at the top both in terms of personel and style of play.

Good summation of the game and our[position.

Some encouraging signs but also concerns.

One thing I noticed sitting close to the dugouts was how much talking " coaching" of players Caldwell does during a match.

I felt like telling him to shut up and just let them play football. He was like an over eager coach at a kids game.

Yes I know its early in the season , there are several new players and he is trying to get them used to playing in a certain style etc etc.

These guys are professional footballers who have been playing the game for years. If they did not know how to play - they would not be here.

He should tell them what system he wants to play and give individual players specific roles , if appropriate.Have set piece routines/ duties.This should all be done during the week in training.

On match days he should generally shut up and let them get on with it. He has a half time to make any critical / significant points about tactics/ style of play.

The constant shouting/ instructing from the side is , in my view, counter-productive.  I think it makes the players over anxious and more likely to take the easy option for fear of making a mistake/ giving the ball away.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Emsca said:

One thing I noticed sitting close to the dugouts was how much talking " coaching" of players Caldwell does during a match.

I felt like telling him to shut up and just let them play football. He was like an over eager coach at a kids game.

Yes I know its early in the season , there are several new players and he is trying to get them used to playing in a certain style etc etc.

These guys are professional footballers who have been playing the game for years. If they did not know how to play - they would not be here.

He should tell them what system he wants to play and give individual players specific roles , if appropriate.Have set piece routines/ duties.This should all be done during the week in training.

On match days he should generally shut up and let them get on with it. He has a half time to make any critical / significant points about tactics/ style of play.

The constant shouting/ instructing from the side is , in my view, counter-productive.  I think it makes the players over anxious and more likely to take the easy option for fear of making a mistake/ giving the ball away.

From where I was sitting All I could hear all the time was JOE... One of our most experienced players being shouted at like a 10 year old school boy...

1 minute ago, Alan Murray said:

Archibald used to shout a lot as well - it's the norm! 

Well "the norm" hasn't exactly been  a roaring success.

Over-coaching is a sign of  lack of confidence both in yourself and your team. IMO.!

I'd like to think that most of the time crowd noise will drown out ever the more vocal of managers so a bit of a non point really. Considering the abuse some fans give some players I suspect a few instructions from their manager is hardly upsetting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

The problem with this is that some are new and not been playing for years.  

To give him his due I noticed Caldwell shouting encouragement most of the time at the players.  Thumbs up to some of them.  Not sure we can moan much at a manager giving encouragement that way.

managers can’t win in many ways for instance some people accused Archie of being completely motionless at the side others that dick Campbell looked like a windmill in a storm the way he was moving his arms about during games 

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

The problem with this is that some are new and not been playing for years.  

To give him his due I noticed Caldwell shouting encouragement most of the time at the players.  Thumbs up to some of them.  Not sure we can moan much at a manager giving encouragement that way.

managers can’t win in many ways for instance some people accused Archie of being completely motionless at the side others that dick Campbell looked like a windmill in a storm the way he was moving his arms about during games 

Agree agree agree. Well said.

Not sure being critical of GC for this, at this stage of the season is good for our collective moral. Happy medium? IMHO the 2 most successful managers in my life time, Lambie and Auld were shouters. Then we had AA who, in terms of league positioning is up there with them, who most of the time stood motionless. I guess what I'm saying is, whatever works, go with it.

Personally l like to be encouraged by a manager, and if that is being shouted at to encourage me then I'd be all for it. Being shouted at during a game for being a D1CK would be counter productive though. I just don't think we should be negative over such p1sh at this stage of the season.