Buzzing for Clyde game

Bobbyhouston

Was enough for me to be positive about. We were very good at moving the ball. Think we could do with a player with some dig in the middle we were a bit light when it went to 3-2. Overall though, it was decent. Their goals came from mistakes, much easier to sort out as opposed to teams genuinely carving us open.

Was sat not far from the Clyde fans, and it was 90 minutes of anti Thistle songs. Including several about John Lambie. How desperate must they be to get noticed. Between the scumbags they sign and the songs they song, what a pathetic wee club. 

• Like 3

On another day, I suppose it would have been 5-1.

And we'd lost TOW and Penrice (at the eleventh hour).

As a side issue, I like the format of this competition (but then we would say, wouldn't we!).

As another side issue, some of the younger Clyde fans wouldn't be out of place at the Tattie Bowl or Castle Sevco.

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I've been surprised to read some negative comments about da vita, I thought he was very effective in his role, deffo pass mark's, far too early to start judging individual players imho . Great performance all round for most of the game and I'm so impressed with the level of fitness/stamina. Especially compared to last few seasons. Future is looking good and if we continue to improve and progress as most teams do as the season progresses we'll be up challenging at the top end of the table.

WHY?

At what stage in the season is it appropriate to start judging individual players ?

13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I really feel now we are getting more width in the squad that playing 3-5-2 is counter productive. Problem is we don't have defensive quality in the full back area. Williamson & Robson are impressive going forward and both appear to be able to put in very decent quick cross balls. Neither can defend. Penrice is less of a liability as an orthodox full back but still more suited to getting down the flanks. Ideally Saunders could just move across to right back but by most accounts he's not too clever in that role. Perhaps a remedy would be two holding midfielders covering wider than normal but that's verging on the negative side of things, tho' not much different than playing three centrebacks who rarely cross the halfway line. 

Any views on that? I think we saw some real decent football at times tonight mostly going forward but even against lower league opponents the signs of frailty in defence were clearly evident. 

I think we lack a true defensive midfielder who knows how to cover the fullbacks when we attack.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlgarveJag said:

I hate to disagree with a legend like Badger but I'm afraid it wasn't a goal.

I thought it did look over the line. Not as bad as Dools ghost goal last season. But I did think it was a goal. Anyway we won , so no harm done. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.:fan:

29 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

‘I was behind the goal were is your in the Algarve 

Quite right, you had the better view on the night and for that I'm jealous.

But firstly, to be pedantic, if the ref didn't give it then it's not a goal (and the linesman was well placed too).

Secondly, with the benefit of slow motion action replays from multiple angles David Mitchell makes save but confuses everyone by touching the side netting while the ball is still in front of the goal when viewed from behind.  It does indeed, on first watching, look deceptively like a goal.  

I guess without the dreaded VAR we can continue to debate but I think the players and the club have agreed it wasn't and the ref didn't give it.

On to the last 16... 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Nice to win the group but one goal victories over lower league teams underlines how much work lies ahead in terms of Championship ambitions.

We won the games I thought we should. I wasn't sure how we would do at Hamilton. I think getting a point was a good result. As you say we have won the group. So job done. A few other clubs wouldn't mind being in our position. Big test when the league gets underway.

1 hour ago, Bobbyhouston said:

‘I was behind the goal were is your in the Algarve 

I was behind the goal as well, and whilst it looked like a goal from our angle, being behind the goal isn't a great place to be able to determine things like that. Much better view of balls crossing the line, offsides, etc from the side.

7 hours ago, Emsca said:

WHY?

At what stage in the season is it appropriate to start judging individual players ?

Stating the obvious but new players take time to settle for various reasons, fitness, formation, tactics, gelling with team mates. Surely that's just common sense?

The same is true of most (not all) teams at the start of each season. Not every club has the financial muscle to keep a full team together every season and so new players are common for most clubs and can take time to bed in. It's the same for most jobs. As I said just my opinion that it's too early to judge

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Stating the obvious but new players take time to settle for various reasons, fitness, formation, tactics, gelling with team mates. Surely that's just common sense?

The same is true of most (not all) teams at the start of each season. Not every club has the financial muscle to keep a full team together every season and so new players are common for most clubs and can take time to bed in. It's the same for most jobs. As I said just my opinion that it's too early to judge

Yeah I get that and don't disagree. 

8 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Nice to win the group but one goal victories over lower league teams underlines how much work lies ahead in terms of Championship ambitions.

I'm not saying we're going to win the league, but I'd like to point out that the first competitive match of the 2012/13 season was a 1-0 win against...Clyde.

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

I'm not saying we're going to win the league, but I'd like to point out that the first competitive match of the 2012/13 season was a 1-0 win against...Clyde.

Rather random but I got that winning buzz thru a combination of the season before's runaway win down at Palmerston and the attitude and application in winning the ARR Craib Cup. I guess I was letting heart rule the heid to a certain extent in so much that Dunfermline looked too strong but I was convinced before a league ball was kicked we'd be in with a shout.

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Rather random but I got that winning buzz thru a combination of the season before's runaway win down at Palmerston and the attitude and application in winning the ARR Craib Cup. I guess I was letting heart rule the heid to a certain extent in so much that Dunfermline looked too strong but I was convinced before a league ball was kicked we'd be in with a shout.

And how do you feel this season, have you got the same feeling as that time?

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

And how do you feel this season, have you got the same feeling as that time?

Nope. Then again we had a very settled squad back then that only required the addition of a bit of experience. Craig and to a lesser extent Murray provided that experience. This season is far more dependent on the new players to be successful to give us a chance, so in a way it's maybe unfair to make a comparison.