League cup - last 16

QXBoy

7 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Despite winning our group, at this time it looks like we won't be seeded meaning the possibility of drawing Ce*%$& or Sevco or Ab$&*^&%.

Who do we want? Maybe Kilmarnock? 

I'd take killie in a heartbeat. A shadow of the team if last year? Perhaps not but they bring a decent away support and would be a great test so I'd take a home tie against them or any other premier team

4 hours ago, allyo said:

Home tie against Killie? I'm not sure we won one in 5 years in the Premier League, often against a rubbish Killie team.

6 draws and 3 defeats in 9 Firhill games against Kilmarnock in our 5 seasons in the top flight.

Compare and contrast with 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats at Rugby Park.

Embarrassing home record against them, which hopefully unlike the away record at Motherwell, doesn't develop into this kind of curse that we can't break.

11 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'd take Hamilton at home for a place in the quarter finals (assuming they qualify they will be seeded). We can beat them at home, then line up the Ugly Sisters for a place in the semis

Think seeds are the 4 Euro teams and the four best group winners.  So Hamilton can’t be seeded.  

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I thought the seedlings were based on league positions irrespective of how they qualified

If it was on group qualifying performance we would be guaranteed a seed

They are based on League Cup group positions, but we're not guaranteed through that method.

Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen will be seeded as the European participants, as will the four group winners with the highest points totals. Currently the group winners and their points totals are:
County 12 pts (+10 GD)
Thistle 10 (+3)
Motherwell 9 (+9)
Hibs 8 (+5)
Hearts 8 (+3)
Livingston 8 (+2)
Inverness 7 (+4)
St Mirren 7 (0)

However, only County, ourselves and St Mirren have played 4 games. Hearts, Hibs, Inverness, Motherwell and Livingston all have a final group game to play, and each one of them who wins will move us down a place. So we need less than 3 of that 5 to win their final games, which I'd say is pretty unlikely.

Edited by Roque

I'd take Hamilton at home for a place in the quarter finals (assuming they qualify they will be seeded). We can beat them at home, then line up the Ugly Sisters for a place in the semis

I thought the seedlings were based on league positions irrespective of how they qualified

If it was on group qualifying performance we would be guaranteed a seed

Haha

10 hours ago, allyo said:

Home tie against Killie? I'm not sure we won one in 5 years in the Premier League, often against a rubbish Killie team.

Time to right a wrong? Repeat of the 2-5 drubbing we gave them at rugby park

2 hours ago, Roque said:

I misunderstood what DD meant by "league positions", assuming it to be about the group positions in the League Cup! Have edited that part of the post to be clearer.

So did I but excellent piece of statto(ing), thanks for the list roque

If I remember correctly, last season we had to wait to the  Sunday and hope Hearts beat ICT by  a few goals so that we qualified for the last 16. So good to be relaxed and watching other teams sweating on whether they go thru or not. When is the draw for the last 16 ?

6 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

The benefit for us this time is that as an unseeded team we can still get a good home tie. I felt cheated a few years ago when as a seeded team we got Dundee Utd away and some second placed teams got better draws. In reality I think all seeds should benefit from a home tie.

Can’t agree there as that would guarantee ugly sisters home tie always and Scottish football is already too bias in their favour.

20 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Can’t agree there as that would guarantee ugly sisters home tie always and Scottish football is already too bias in their favour.

I agree, and not just on the OF point. If all or at least the vast majority of the ties are "higher teams" at home to "lower teams", in terms of league position, financial resources etc, then the possibility of surprises is minimised.

To have a realistic chance of progressing far, we have to hope that some big beasts are taken out.