Team Bonding

Big Col

Saw the team (and management) out on Friday night at Hollywood Bowl in Springfield Quay for a good old boozy night out team bonding session.

They were all in good spirits and clearly get on well with each other.

One question - anyone know which one of the them is known as “shagger”?!?

Edited by Big Col

I've been told by my mates son that 'Shagger' is being used now as a general term of endearment for almost everyone they know, a bit like 'mate'?

Seems a bit strange but apparently it's just the current fad as to how folk are referenced?

Good to hear @Big Col. Another improvement and fingers crossed another ingredient to a successful season ahead.

Was listening to sportsound yesterday and we were a mention in dispatches and perhaps some pundits footnote in discussions on who would top our league and who would get the play offs. Pretty much all had DU as run away winners. Personally, and I'm not as qualified as them, I don't see them as table toppers. And I'm quietly confident, just have a feeling about this team. Fitter and with far more dig than in recent years, but what do I know.

Thanks big col

I think United and possibly Dundee, too, will have stronger squads than us.  However, whether their managers can shape them into effective teams is another matter and early results (as well as last year's results) suggest that may not be so easy.  We seem to be developing a good team spirit and winning attitude. If that continues to develop we may not have the best players but we may develop the best team.  Long way to go of course and all sorts of things can happen but I like the phrase the manager - and the players - keep using, to paraphrase, "we're doing well but we can still improve, we'll be looking to improve right through the season."  That's an attitude that can take us a long way. 

5 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Good to hear @Big Col. Another improvement and fingers crossed another ingredient to a successful season ahead.

Was listening to sportsound yesterday and we were a mention in dispatches and perhaps some pundits footnote in discussions on who would top our league and who would get the play offs. Pretty much all had DU as run away winners. Personally, and I'm not as qualified as them, I don't see them as table toppers. And I'm quietly confident, just have a feeling about this team. Fitter and with far more dig than in recent years, but what do I know.

Thanks big col

I have to disagree.

You are every bit as qualified as them.

6 hours ago, sb1876 said:

I've been told by my mates son that 'Shagger' is being used now as a general term of endearment for almost everyone they know, a bit like 'mate'?

Seems a bit strange but apparently it's just the current fad as to how folk are referenced?

I can just see my wife’s face when we’re out and bump into one of my mates who refers to me as “Shagger”.........

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Anyway, the opening league fixtures will tell us more. Let's see how we go.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from our game at the Recs. If the pitch is the same size and condition as last season it's closer to a lottery than any other away ground we will play on.

The acid test will be the game v Dundee Utd.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from our game at the Recs. If the pitch is the same size and condition as last season it's closer to a lottery than any other away ground we will play on.

Not sure on that, get beat at Alloa and pressure will already be on GC.

We should be able to set out our formation and tactics to beat an Alloa team regardless of the pitch, that’s what good managers do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Not sure on that, get beat at Alloa and pressure will already be on GC.

We should be able to set out our formation and tactics to beat an Alloa team regardless of the pitch, that’s what good managers do. 

Don't disagree. What I was saying tho' is that we won't learn much from this game. OK,  apart from whether we can improvise or not. The United game is by far more a yardstick to draw conclusions from.

3 hours ago, allyo said:

I have to disagree.

You are every bit as qualified as them.

Thank you kind sir. I can string words together that most of the time make sense, and never usually end my sentences with "so it is" "that's for sure" "so I am" "by the way", so I guess I might be:lol:

On 7/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The pitch hasn't changed in size, unfortunately.

I do think Alloa will be weaker this year and definitely more beatable at home, but yeah, the Indodrill pitch in its current state is a real leveler.

4 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

And an absolute  nightmare start!

Not half. It will test the bottle of their board. Our own current manager didn't have a good start at all and must have tested that boards resolve behind closed doors. We have had a recent history of sticking to the task and by our managers and if you consider the start jack Ross had when he first arrived at st Mirren and that board stood by their guy, so perhaps Goodwin will get longer than many other clubs would give him.

Interesting to watch from the sidelines as many on here, myself included, would have taken him at firhill.

Edited by Guest

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Dark Passenger said:

I appreciate he's operating in a higher division, but it'll be interesting to see how Goodwin's side bounce back from this given the number of Caldwell's detractors who suggested we'd missed a trick by failing to appoint him boss (who knows if he was actually interested?!).

I was one of those who would have liked to have seen Goodwin as Thistle manager. But so far you would need to say that Caldwell has done better so far, we are in the last 16 of the league cup, St. Mirren are not. I hope Caldwell continues to be the better manager, because that means Thistle will be doing well.