What was your first football strip?

Jaggernaut

Mine was when I was nine or ten years old, in the mid-sixties before sponsors logos etc. And it was....... a Motherwell top! By then I was Thistle daft, but either my parents just couldn't find a Jags top, or ran out of time to get one before Christmas day.... or more likely to old boy was drunk and forgot. Pretty sure I must have been the only boy in Drumchapel sporting a Motherwell top that Christmas day. Actually, I was fond of it, maybe for that reason.

I eventually did get a Thistle top...... now I've got more than is reasonable. Favourite is the old R&Y hoops with the black rugby type collar, from the late 50s. It still gets aired on very big occasions..... last time was final game of the season at Inverness when we got gubbed although we were already champions.

Mine was a Thistle top from the mid 70's, used to love wearing it around Drumchapel playing football and running rings round a bloke who wore a terrible Motherwell top!! (Couldn't resist - I grew up in the Drum too, a few years after you tho I think?)

It had a massive badge (I thought it was anyway) and thick R&Y stripes, I wish I still had it but it got nicked from the washing line back in the 70's.

I also had a Man City top as my only other strip as a young kid, back when they were pretty mince and I'm glad I don't still follow them as my other team.

There's a few references above to Drumchapel and Motherwell. I played for the school team (St Pius) and our top was the same as Motherwell's..so there may have been a few out on the streets.

Money was tight in those days and my first strip was a Wolves outfit. I loved it!. Happy as Larry running out in the snow on Christmas morning.

Still have a soft spot for both teams because of their strips.

2 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Thistle top from the early 1960's. Proper big red and yellow hoops, Thistle badge, white shorts, red yellow and black socks.

Probably cost about 12/6! Them were t'days.

Same as me SN. I am sure you got the full strip i.e. the top ,shorts and socks. None of this rip off having to buy top,shorts and socks separately.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Same as me SN. I am sure you got the full strip i.e. the top ,shorts and socks. None of this rip off having to buy top,shorts and socks separately.

Correct as usual, AJ!

Oddly enough my second strip was a Scotland strip which for some reason I hated - I swapped it for (it's all coming out now!) for … a Rangers strip which I preferred!

18 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Correct as usual, AJ!

Oddly enough my second strip was a Scotland strip which for some reason I hated - I swapped it for (it's all coming out now!) for … a Rangers strip which I preferred!

Write out a 1000 times. I must never like a Rangers strip again.:fan:

I had the hoops whute shorts and socks from c.1968. I was 7 or 8, however only socks that were available were adult ones so my dad bought them! Still have them to this day, wear them sometimes when out walking and they're indestructible.

Edited by JeanieD

9 hours ago, sb1876 said:

Mine was a Thistle top from the mid 70's, used to love wearing it around Drumchapel playing football and running rings round a bloke who wore a terrible Motherwell top!! (Couldn't resist - I grew up in the Drum too, a few years after you tho I think?)

It had a massive badge (I thought it was anyway) and thick R&Y stripes, I wish I still had it but it got nicked from the washing line back in the 70's.

I also had a Man City top as my only other strip as a young kid, back when they were pretty mince and I'm glad I don't still follow them as my other team.

Had this same strip in the mid 70's. Totally loved it and remember it being of a pimpled cotton type material with the big badge.

We'd moved to England by then and I really liked the West Ham of that era and got their away top. White with tiny blue and claret pin stripes I think.

Having said all that, my first ever kit may have been a Cambridge United copy with no badge. It had orange / amber and black stripes.  

My Dad tried to convince me it was just like the Thistle kit, lol.

I wore it but can never remember being that fond of it.

• Like 1

Yellow Chelsea away top from mid 80’s that my mum had picked up from Drumchapel market as I wanted a football top, next was a hand me down Rangers top with big collar, Spurs top,  then a Scotland away top. Never managed to get a Thistle top till Watson Towers top came out. All the previous ones (Morton’s Rolls, Ashoka Colonel Gees) were never available in my size when my folks had money available. 

On 7/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, sb1876 said:

It wasn't my first football top, but I too had an MCFC top, cos my dad couldn't get the Thistle away top of the same colour, and couldn't be butchered going anywhere other than greaves where Roughie worked, lots of Thistle fans went in just for a natter. Musta been late 70's.

First strip was althetico Bilbao (no idea why, possibly cost)

Before the firat strip I got a hellish Thistle tracksuit one Christmas, the brightest Red trousers, with yellow umbro flashes. My mum and dad went for it instead of the strip cos as a 10 year old I was as fat as feck with the biggest ever man/boyboobs and they thought a zip up tracky top would hide the bulges. Always thinking ahead :frantic:

Edited by Guest

This actually is my first football strip. Before I emigrated in the early 80s I couldn't find a thistle  shirt in the shops, so I wrote to the club on the off chance I could buy an old one.  I was lucky enough to have one put aside for me by Donnie McKinnon which I picked up from Firhill a few days before I left. It's one of my prized possessions! (I also think this is one of the best club badges)

1970156267_1982PTFCshirt.thumb.jpg.d03d65bee1775cc4e4ff4bc6ad28db4e.jpg

Edited by Exiled AusJag
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Paddy Thistle said:

first one I can remember was a plain royal blue one , My second was the 1971 top which I got for my xmas  after we won the cup, along with the black 71 league cup winners scarf  ( best xmas presents ever )

Snap! I also got the 1971 strip and the black league cup winners scarf with the red & yellow pinstripes for my Christmas. I still have both :thumbsup2:

I also have the 1971 league cup winning scarf. I haven't bought a top for years. Robert always liked buying a new Thistle top when they came out. His birthday was in July and any money he got always went on buying a Jags top. Since he died I always have one of his tops on when at a Thistle match.

• Like 5