Dundee United Friday 9th August

Bobbyhouston

For me, the difference between the two teams last night was epitomised in the way they took bye-kicks.

Both sides tried to take advantage of the new rule, but only one could do it successfully.

United's keeper played the ball to a defender and their defence passed it around until they were in a position to start an attack. When Sneddon tried to do the same, our defenders looked like they were crapping themselves that they were going to lose possession, so we wound up booting it up the park anyway.

Why can't we retain the ball? Other teams do it as a matter of course. Alloa did it last Saturday. What's wrong with Thistle players that their default position when being closed down is to assume they're going to lose the ball?

And, yes, I can hear the answers to that question - because they so often do. What they need to work out - and the manager too - is why is that? Other teams routinely show an ability to retain the ball and deny it to the opposition. Thistle only seem capable of that rarely.

At one point in the first half, Sneddon rolled the ball out to Bannigan who immediately lost control of it and almost gifted United a scoring chance. No wonder he then chose to boot the ball up the park for the rest of the game. A tactic which resulted in us gifting possession to United from every bye-kick from then on.

If you cede control of the midfield in a game of football you will inevitably concede goals. That's what happened last night. Until we can put out a team that can retain possession of the ball and at least ensure they compete in midfield, we'll continue to fail to win games.

35 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

For me, the difference between the two teams last night was epitomised in the way they took bye-kicks.

Both sides tried to take advantage of the new rule, but only one could do it successfully.

Can't really agree with this point. I think that the new rule has given teams another option for getting the ball out a bye-kicks but I've yet to see any team which is comfortable doing it. I thought at times the United keeper didn't really have a clue what to do and thought Sneddon was a bit more confident playing the ball out short but our defenders were all over the place. When forwards press up the second and third balls out are the important ones for starting an attack. Those are the balls we struggle with all over the park.

Edited by scotty

18 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, except this. The team is negative and ultra defensive enough. The last thing we need is yet another defensive minded player. We lack creativity and goals. We need an attacking midfielder, one who is capable of going forward, creating and scoring. Like Blair Spittal (but with more consistent good performances).

We need that too! (I’m not going to disagree with you but we don’t have anyone capable of doing that Osman when he was good role  

59 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

United's keeper played the ball to a defender and their defence passed it around until they were in a position to start an attack. When Sneddon tried to do the same, our defenders looked like they were crapping themselves that they were going to lose possession, so we wound up booting it up the park anyway.

Why can't we retain the ball? Other teams do it as a matter of course. Alloa did it last Saturday. What's wrong with Thistle players that their default position when being closed down is to assume they're going to lose the ball?

And, yes, I can hear the answers to that question - because they so often do. What they need to work out - and the manager too - is why is that? Other teams routinely show an ability to retain the ball and deny it to the opposition. Thistle only seem capable of that rarely.

At one point in the first half, Sneddon rolled the ball out to Bannigan who immediately lost control of it and almost gifted United a scoring chance. No wonder he then chose to boot the ball up the park for the rest of the game. A tactic which resulted in us gifting possession to United from every bye-kick from then on.

If you cede control of the midfield in a game of football you will inevitably concede goals. That's what happened last night. Until we can put out a team that can retain possession of the ball and at least ensure they compete in midfield, we'll continue to fail to win games.

That ball to banzo was very dangerous. I help coach boys football and drill the goalies to play it wide. Btw - I thought the Utd keeper looked like a weak link. I know he made a super save from Sean but he couldn’t catch a cold. Unfortunately we did not put enough pressure on him.

4 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Banzo’s free kick just outside the United box towards the end of the game just summed up our second half performance ....desperate ,clueless and quite frankly worrying at this stage in the season .

Especially with a DUFC wall about 3 feet away from him. Collum really is hopeless.

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

This in bucket fills. Personally I'm gutted we didn't keep the performance from the 1st half going into the 2nd half. Would live to know why, yes stamina, but perhaps DU were just the better team. They were certainly the best team I've seen from the championship since we were relegated. They have a spark and resilience about them and on that showing they'll be the team to beat.

Plenty of positives as has been highlighted, but we still are weak at the back. Hope the manager and his staff can sort it before too long.

There WAS an improvement on last week.

We were playing against a far better team, probably the league winners.

However the issue of fitness needs addressing quickly.

Some ridiculous criticism of certain players esp. Williamson, Robson and Jones

Penrice had a smashing game.

Caldwell needs to explain Tam’s absence

5 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Penrice had McMullen in his pocket 1st half. I am not so sure about the 2nd - it is more difficult to see over that side from JHS. I also don’t get the criticism of Williamson. He is better than Elliot in my opinion. He is far more dangerous going forward and defends pretty well, I think. Jones certainly has some physicality about him, but needs a goal. 

Not much had been made of the challenge on Cardle near the end of the 1st half. It looked like a penalty from where I was sitting. Anybody get a better view ?

19 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Yup, O’Ware’s absence from starting 11 was eyebrow raising,however, not bringing him on in second half when we were getting carved up in defence was criminal .

Edited by Anniesland Jag

16 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Agree with you weebaw. Having been to all home cup games and alloa last wee we are progressing. Not quickly enough but progress is being made so I'm not panicing yet. That will come later:wacko:

Having reflected over night, we matched them 1st half apart for first 7 or so minutes. Some of Williamson's runs were exciting, penrice had mcgarry in his pocket, we pressed them all over the park and genuinely looked dangerous going forward. Our final ball is still letting us down. If we'd gone in 2 up at half time it would have been deserved.

We failed spectacularly 2nd half. Lost the pressing the manager promised, and seemed very jaded. The manager Needs to fund out why. There was an inevitability that they were going to score at least twice and we never looked like adding to our goal. 2nd half was very disappointing after a good 1st half.

From last night, as I think @Big Col said we need a creative player more than a defensive one. That said banzo was playing that role and he need to think quicker and use the ball better. Cut out the loose passing. 

As you posted weebaw, lots of good performances, in the main defence stood firm, bar the usual lapses which cost us the goals. Just my opinion, but we are improving and miles better than this time last season. I'm still optimistic.

18 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Penrice had McMullen in his pocket 1st half. I am not so sure about the 2nd - it is more difficult to see over that side from JHS. I also don’t get the criticism of Williamson. He is better than Elliot in my opinion. He is far more dangerous going forward and defends pretty well, I think. Jones certainly has some physicality about him, but needs a goal. 

Not much had been made of the challenge on Cardle near the end of the 1st half. It looked like a penalty from where I was sitting. Anybody get a better view ?

Agree whole heartedly. I also thought it was a penalty from where I was, my mate was at home watching on telly and said no. I plan watching it this afternoon.

Collum is simply the worst ref I have seen in the last 10 years. He gets paid over £900 a game, on top of whatever his full time job is???????? He shouldn't be reffing the kids in the park ffs. It's easy to criticise refs, and I'd never want to do it, and I try to not criticise them, but he is just so inept, and I've a few ex work colleagues who are refs, and know him and are as bamboozled by how he has got on in the game. At least we can see why Andrew Dallas gets on, but as far as I know Collums not connected through his daddy.

48 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Slater to come back will help creativity.

Would love McMillan to come back even just on loan.

Yes and yes.

Bannigan is a question though.

Is he trying too hard? Is his performance impaired because he doesn't have a player of the standard of Osman beside him?

Whatever, he isn't having anywhere near the influence that he had before his injury.

He's in danger of becoming this decade's Roy Aitken at the moment, without the Scotland caps.

3 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Banzo’s free kick just outside the United box towards the end of the game just summed up our second half performance ....desperate ,clueless and quite frankly worrying at this stage in the season .

Have you seen the picture I posted earlier in the thread?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Slater to come back will help creativity.

Would love McMillan to come back even just on loan.

Not sure about the first point. Slater doesn't create much. A couple of goals. 

A bit of a Ryan Edwards sort. On a positive that energy won't go amiss in this excuse of a midfield.