Dundee United Friday 9th August

Bobbyhouston

Gary Caldwell gave a brief chat regarding his line-up last night in the Alan Rough Suite. 

He stated that Kenny Miller is likely to play deeper now, more as a #10 In order to dictate play.

Jones and him were okay first half but it all went off the rails when Jones went off and all the subs made little if any impact.

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Gary Caldwell gave a brief chat regarding his line-up last night in the Alan Rough Suite. 

He stated that Kenny Miller is likely to play deeper now, more as a #10 In order to dictate play.

Jones and him were okay first half but it all went off the rails when Jones went off and all the subs made little if any impact.

Thanks for the feedback Jagfox, it's appreciated.

Nothing against him, but the evidence shows Kenny Miller is not an answer to any question we are asking.

4 minutes ago, scotty said:

Another thing Gary Caldwell did said was that there isn't a natural leader in the squad. He was then asked why he didn't sign one and replied that there's no-one available who fits the bill.

If he genuinely said that - that's a sacking offence on its own.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

I wish you'd gone to tell him that to his face.

I'll do that with pleasure. For the simple reason that he isn't matching up to Robbie Neilson.

Mr Caldwell got a pass from me in May because he (in the form of Scott McDonald) got us out of jail last season. Kudos for that because frankly we were toast under Archie.

41 minutes ago, scotty said:

Another thing Gary Caldwell did said was that there isn't a natural leader in the squad. He was then asked why he didn't sign one and replied that there's no-one available who fits the bill.

Would have said Tam O’ware , Kenny Miller and Bannigan are all natural leaders, trouble we’ve got is the players don’t and aren’t encouraged to play on the front foot , they’re stifled by tactics .

To win a league at our level, you’ve got to go for it , sometimes take the gamble and attack with 4 or 5 players.

Ross County won 21 games in our League last year, if we win 10- 11 games this year I’ll be surprised.

Caldwell talks a good game , the reality is very different.

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The most worrying thing for me is that he stated that the Players were fit enough to Cover the distance ie Running on the Park - but the Drive to do so has to come from them ? 

And that we  need to cover more Ground ?

Think there is a lot more to football than running about like headless chickens.

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Would have said Tam O’ware , Kenny Miller and Bannigan are all natural leaders, trouble we’ve got is the players don’t and aren’t encouraged to play on the front foot , they’ve stifled by tactics .

To win a league at our level, you’ve got to go for it , sometimes take the gamble and attack with 4 or 5 players.

Ross County won 21 games in our League last year, if we win 10- 11 games this year I’ll be surprised.

Caldwell talks a good game , the reality is very different.

Not seen enough of O'Ware to judge but I tend to agree with Caldwell that Kenny Miller and Stuart Bannigan are not. Miller does a lot of complaining after the fact and Bannigan is too quiet on the park. Caldwell gave an example of the lack of leadership from La Manga when they cancelled the busses to the traing ground and it took the squad 45 minutes to get to traing despite it being a 10 minute walk!

Edited by scotty
spelling

2 minutes ago, scotty said:

Not seen enough of O'Ware to judge but I tend to agree with Caldwell that Kenny Miller and Stuart Bannigan are not. Miller does a lot of complaining after the fact and Bannigan is too quiet on the park. Caldwell gave an example of the lack of leadership from La Manga when they cancelled the busses to the traing ground and it took the squad 45 minutes to get to traing despite it being a 10 minute walk!

No idea what Caldwell’s example is all about , sounds like the David Brent school of management to me .

Tam O’ware was captain at Morton and Kenny Miller also captained Sevco at different points .

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

No idea what Caldwell’s example is all about , sounds like the David Brent school of management to me .

Tam O’ware was captain at Morton and Kenny Miller also captained Sevco at different points .

All it would have taken was for one of them, maybe the team captain, to say "right lads, let's walk".

3 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Agreed - but the fact he stated this is concerning - he wants more Ground covered and if your going to play a pressing Game then Covering Ground is Crucial - but players arent doing it ?  

Was given tickets for the Liverpool v Norwich game last night , granted it was a totally different level , but it was an absolute education , if you want to play a pressing game , the whole team needs to press, not just 3 or 4 players and it’s got to be done for 90 mins , not just the first 20 mins .

The defence has got to be further up the park , to pen the other team in , I don’t think we’ve got the players to play that style , distinct lack of pace within the team especially the defence .

Just an opinion but we’ve got to get a system that suits the players we’ve got at our disposal.

31 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The most worrying thing for me is that he stated that the Players were fit enough to Cover the distance ie Running on the Park - but the Drive to do so has to come from them ? 

And that we  need to cover more Ground ?

Seems that the players are being asked to do a lot of driving this season when they should be able to rely on a decent coach.