Championship 2019/20.

Auld Jag

It's simple for me. If we continue in the same form that we showed from January to May, we will be play offs at worse. Has GC improved the squad since May I'm not so sure. Dont think it is too different in many ways. We will know where we are heading after first 11 games. Hopefully we are not subjected to hysteria if we do start slowly.  I'm more optimistic than last August where I witnessed the poorest jags team at ayr....

19 hours ago, Ancipital said:

Think we'll be 3rd or 4th, the only clubs I think will finish above us are the Dundee clubs & maybe Inverness.  Hopkin obviously did very well with Livi but it's easily forgotten he got them relegated first and then had to rebuild a team and the fact Morton have had to re-register a coach that retired a year ago... imagine if that happened to us, would be heads on fire everywhere.

I'd be very disappointed if we finished behind Ayr who have lost pretty much all of their best outfield players from last season (Shankland, Rose, Crawford, Smith) and would have finished bottom if you'd started last season from any point from about December onwards.  I'm sure there's a precedent for an Ian McCall managed team in this league after losing their best players and I don't remember it being pleasant.

Dunfermline finished below us last season (yes they did) and  have signed a bunch of untried kids, Paul Paton who is beyond done, and Kevin Nisbet who might make us rue our decision to let him go- but his performances for Raith vs Queens in the playoffs last year and the % of his goals that were penalties vs part time players suggests otherwise. Queens themselves still look to be overly reliant on one man who is injured for the first few weeks of the season, and while Alloa and Arbroath might cause annoyance in individual games- hopefully not Saturday-  I think they're a safe bet to be 9 & 10 in whatever order you prefer.

Think you’re wrong re Kevin Nisbett, he’ll score 15 - 20 goals this season in an attacking team 

I did say in this thread (or maybe another thread on here) that one of Nisbet's strong points is his positioning. Think that was self evident tonight. What I didn't say then was that if there'd been a choice of who to keep between Nisbet or McLaughlan, beyond any doubt I'd have  plumped for the latter. Even taking the slight age difference into consideration the difference in fortune since both left us is quite amazing. 

Looks like Nisbet will hold his own in this division and we may well be regretting letting him go but then again I've no great faith in my judgment. 

If Nisbet had played as well with us as he has with Raith Rovers and Dunfermline, we wouldn't have released him. He's on record as saying he blew it with us because he thought he'd made it and he stopped working hard enough. He's not so much the one that got away, as the one who screwed up his first chance as a professional footballer, but worked hard to rectify things.

Should we have signed him? Who knows? We're we ever in the running? I suspect we'd have been happier with Rudden over Nisbet - a move that's beginning to look a possibility.

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

If Nisbet had played as well with us as he has with Raith Rovers and Dunfermline, we wouldn't have released him. He's on record as saying he blew it with us because he thought he'd made it and he stopped working hard enough. He's not so much the one that got away, as the one who screwed up his first chance as a professional footballer, but worked hard to rectify things.

Should we have signed him? Who knows? We're we ever in the running? I suspect we'd have been happier with Rudden over Nisbet - a move that's beginning to look a possibility.

What you have said is spot on , Archie etc told him he didn’t work hard enough in games , looks a different player now , fitter and  stronger ,and watching him last night there is definitely a work ethic there now . 

With only 1league game played some are already writing off our chances of getting a top 4 place. I wasn't at Alloa so I cant comment on how we played. I think the league doesn't really start taking shape until every team has played all the other teams. So I think we should know better when we have played 9 games just what sort of season we are going to have. Of course if we haven't won any after say 6 games we would need to look at things. Meanwhile next weeks game V Dundee Utd might also give us an idea of where we are going.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:53 PM, Auld Jag said:

With only 1league game played some are already writing off our chances of getting a top 4 place. I wasn't at Alloa so I cant comment on how we played.... Meanwhile next weeks game V Dundee Utd might also give us an idea of where we are going.

I was at Alloa: no pace, no shape, occasional panic but a bit of luck. Dundee United will dole out a lesson. Will even Uncle Dick be laughing at this team? :no:

15 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

I was at Alloa: no pace, no shape, occasional panic but a bit of luck. Dundee United will dole out a lesson. Will even Uncle Dick be laughing at this team? :no:

As you say Fearchar you were at the game and seen how we played. I just think it is to early to write us off after 1 league game. We will need to improve vastly and I hope to see that improvement at Firhill Friday night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Of course, that analysis only has the negative view of the game. We were “unlucky” with Alloa’s goal. With a bit of luck we could have 3 more goals, but for good saves and the crossbar.

Yes we were slow and cumbersome for much of the game, but there was a spell in the 2nd half when we upped the tempo and could have scored those goals.

Friday night will be a test no doubt, but so will the other 34 games.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:01 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I did say in this thread (or maybe another thread on here) that one of Nisbet's strong points is his positioning. Think that was self evident tonight. What I didn't say then was that if there'd been a choice of who to keep between Nisbet or McLaughlan, beyond any doubt I'd have  plumped for the latter. Even taking the slight age difference into consideration the difference in fortune since both left us is quite amazing. 

Looks like Nisbet will hold his own in this division and we may well be regretting letting him go but then again I've no great faith in my judgment. 

Nisbet looked awful a few times when he got into our first team then he had an absolutely great game up at Perth I'm sure. Shouldve started the next game  but didn't then hardly really involved.

• Like 1