Jags Trust Meeting with Chair & CEO of PTFC

Jags Trust

Members of the Jags Trust Board met with David Beattie (Chairperson) and Gerry Britton (CEO) at Firhill on 30 July 2019.

DB thanked The Trust for the support given to the proposal to change the composition of the Board of PTFC Ltd.

The JT noted that it seemed to have gone relatively quiet on the new ownership front and that much of the hype has died away ….. for the time being!

We were reassured that the Scottish Football authorities were going through a process of due diligence, exploring issues associated with inter league dual-ownership etc and that to do this properly does take time.

DB & GB confirmed this work was an ongoing and that the potential new ownership is still very much alive.

We discussed the business model proposed by the aspiring new owners, which has been tried and tested elsewhere, and it was felt that it had the potential to be “transformational for Thistle”.

David and Gerry brought us up to date with the other work carried out by the new Board over the last three weeks:

• Discussions had taken place with the administrative staff and Team Management re-roles, responsibilities and targets.
  • The office has seen some familiar faces return. Essential work is being carried out by those with the necessary expertise and a suitable skills mix has been created.
  • The development of Thistle’s training ground continues to be a “work in progress”.
  • Information about the PTFC Charitable Trust was given and of the decision that they are the Clubs “chosen charity for season 2019-2020”.
    The Charitable Trust has access to grants and through these are able to support amputee football; kids framed football; projects for those who face addiction issues or are homeless etc.
    The Beatson had been the previously chosen charity.
  • Fan Engagement was being promoted through meetings with representatives of the two Supporters Trusts.
    It was the Club’s hope that a closer working relationship between the two Supporters Trusts can be developed.
  • General matters – Footfall during the Betfred Cup had increase, though Season ticket and Hospitality uptake were marginally down by comparison with this stage of last season. The Centenary Fund is an ongoing fundraiser for the Club and offers an opportunity for members to win a car (twice a year) & cash prizes each month.
  • Club Open Day Saturday 10 August 2019, 11 – 3:30pm - open training session of both the men’s and women’s teams and stalls.
    More details on the Club website.

The meeting and the nature of the discussions were viewed as positive by The Jags Trust and we look forward to re-establishing a closer working relationship with the new(ish) Board and to ongoing dialogue on matters of mutual interest and concern.

• Like 2

Just my opinion, glad to get the updates, particularly that some old faces within the backroom are back, Ross quail etc?

I've never had any doubt that DB has Thistle in his blood and I've personally no concerns that he is out to make a fast buck. I suspect, like many fans, he was concerned about the direction our club was being taken and I'm relieved he and the others are back.

There are council planning issues with the site for the training ground and ask any one who is a business owner or home owner trying to get plans passed in east dunbartonshire and they will tell you how slow, incompetence and suspiciously difficult they can be. That coupled with the fact the access road is owned by a third party, a landowner, possibly a company like caledonian estates, who might be difficult to deal with. So I'm not blaming our club or 3 black cats based purely on the aformentioned. The site is perfect for many reasons which is possibly the reason we are persevering.

As mentioned the Scottish football authorities are doing their due diligence so who knows what they'll decide re the suitability of the consortium, fingers cross they aren't doing it themselves as over the years have proven how incompetent they can be. All in all a post that provides me at least with confidence the right people are in place.

'We discussed the business model proposed by the aspiring new owners, which has been tried and tested elsewhere, and it was felt that it had the potential to be “transformational for Thistle”.'

Would appreciate more details on this; the new board and now you have information on how the new owners propose to run the club.

You are choosing (or have been told) not to share this info with the fans. Why ?

Will we get any of these details at the Open Day info meetings ?

Would also like to know details of where this business model has been 'tried and tested' previously.

Are you referring solely to the questionable outcomes achieved by the consortium at Barnsley and Nice ? Or were other examples cited ?

• Like 5

I expect we are in a mutual 'discovery' period. This might take a while before any decisions are made, on either side. ( This assumes that a deal has not already been done and that both sides are working towards a common objective, which may be true.)

So, we sit and wait whilst our club is subject to what?

I know not.

It is a bit ridiculous to say that it could be 'transformational' for Thistle without spelling it out. (Ridiculous, I know, but being taken over by  Elon Musk would also be transformational, but, not, necessarily in a good way. The Firhill Space Port? No room for football?)

I, for one, hope it will be positive, but the lack of facts to support that, whether suppressed or not, is a bit worrying.

Fans make clubs.

We ought to be on the inside loop.