Alloa Away (championship opener)

Paukea

Bizarre game. Thistle players making stupid mistakes all over the place, struggling to put moves together, but Alloa's goalie made a couple of brilliant saves while Sneddon had nothing to do - their goal took a huge deflection to get by him. Nothing to suggest we're going to be challenging this season, though.

• Like 2

Looking at the two teams that scored 4 today (and Nesbit's performance last night) I'm slightly worried that though the overall team performance is bound to get better we don't have forwards with enough goals in them.  It's going to be tough against United next week and they do have a natural goalscorer.  Much, much better performance needed or we'll struggle to get even a draw.

50 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

1-1 away to Alloa, whom everyone on this site has down as one of the bottom two for the season?

Get Caldwell fired into the sea.

Think most people had them in the bottom 2 last season as well-how wrong we were. Think they definitely thrive on being the underdog and fair play to them 

I went in expectation for a change......more fool me.

Wrong formation. Everytime I have seen us 3 at the back we get overrun in midfield. Same happened today. GC's proud proclamation that we would be playing a pressing game as a unit fell on it's face today. Zero evidence of that in this lacklustre performance. It was clear right from the start we were set up wrong. 

I'm wondering if the behind the scenes shenanigans might have affected our players. Lots of conjecture amongst the support today about financial mismanagement and downright felonies appropriation which has left us in a financial pickle would, if true, be unnerving to our players. 

Had we won today by say 3 goals I'd be exercising caution so a 1-1 against alloa, let's give it a few games.

Underwhelmed so far.

What was most disappointing about today was that we just didn't do the basics well at all.  In the first half especially our pressing was awful. The players were closing down Alloa players but rarely putting a tackle in to win the ball. When we were pressing high we didn't do it as a team, so there was always an out-ball for Alloa. Our passing was woeful. Penrice, Bannagan and Gordon were all rank. The defence was sluggish, taking too many touches and the team wasn't working as a collective.  The formation looked wrong and the team picked to play it looked and felt wrong. Alloa should have been 2 or 3 up by the end of the first half. 

Why we didn't change the team at half time or even before half time? Everyone could see that it was going badly.

The second half was more even. Alloa were on top when we scored and we had a good 10 to 15 minutes after that when Miller came on. But Alloa countered our changes and the game played out fairly evenly with a couple of chances at either end. 

Alloa will feel as though that was two points dropped. 

What was really worrying was the lack of aggression and cohesiveness as a team. We looked disjointed, sluggish and meek. We're a quiet team on the park - where are the leaders?

On a positive note, wee Joe Cardle did well and the Alex Jones' song was entertaining! 

Sometimes its best to play out from the back and sometimes it just better to lump the ball up the park. Today in the heat and a small park. we decided to play out from the back and with no space on the park it caused constant errors. I don't think its time to rubbish the team though as I would expect Alloa will cause other teams problems.

That was absolutely brutal. No discernible game plan, and a formation that clearly wasn’t working about 15 minutes into the game but wasn’t changed until deep into the second half.

This is all on Caldwell now. His team and his tactics. But based on today and the League Cup performances there’s zero chance we will be troubling the top of the table.  

• Like 1

Really disappointed with that show today.  Mansell and Penrice looked as thought they were leaden footed for me and were

second best most of the time to part time footballers.   Parry did have some excellent saves to earn Alloa a point, but equally we were

fortunate that some poor finishing from Alloa when they had a clear sight of goal kept us in it.

26 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I went in expectation for a change......more fool me.

Wrong formation. Everytime I have seen us 3 at the back we get overrun in midfield. Same happened today. GC's proud proclamation that we would be playing a pressing game as a unit fell on it's face today. Zero evidence of that in this lacklustre performance. It was clear right from the start we were set up wrong. 

I'm wondering if the behind the scenes shenanigans might have affected our players. Lots of conjecture amongst the support today about financial mismanagement and downright felonies appropriation which has left us in a financial pickle would, if true, be unnerving to our players. 

Had we won today by say 3 goals I'd be exercising caution so a 1-1 against alloa, let's give it a few games.

Underwhelmed so far.

Got to say for the length of time Caldwell that has been there , I’m seeing very little difference in terms of improvement and quality, a good comparison was watching Dunfermline last night , they changed it after last season because it wasn’t working, signed a bunch of young players supplemented with some experience and you could see even in a short space of time what they were trying to do , getting full backs high up the park , closing down and getting the ball forward quickly to  Nisbet . 

All I see from Caldwell’s team is one paced sterile football, possession football with no end product, no chance you’re going to win promotion with that philosophy.

• Like 1