Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Paukea

Alloa Away (championship opener)

Recommended Posts

James Penrice had an absolute shocker today...Thought he was absolute mince in midfield..didn’t track runners, caught out of position and constantly fouling players all over the place.

to be fair many were honking today and the teams shape, energy and build up play was non existent.

must be sorted pronto and I would start with ditching 3-5-2

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
8 minutes ago, Paukea said:

James Penrice had an absolute shocker today...Thought he was absolute mince in midfield..didn’t track runners, caught out of position and constantly fouling players all over the place.

to be fair many were honking today and the teams shape, energy and build up play was non existent.

must be sorted pronto and I would start with ditching 3-5-2

I cant speak for others on here but its been clearly apparent to all that 3 at the back is not working. Last season and the 4 league cup ties showed GC that he doesn't have the right players for this system. 10 minutes in it was clear to all of the people I was beside that it was not working and was not going to work. Is it arrogance that stops him changing it or incompetence? Early days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paukea said:

James Penrice had an absolute shocker today...Thought he was absolute mince in midfield..didn’t track runners, caught out of position and constantly fouling players all over the place.

to be fair many were honking today and the teams shape, energy and build up play was non existent.

must be sorted pronto and I would start with ditching 3-5-2

I agree. Penrice was even worse at LB than midfield.

The 3 CB’s were all over the place.

The midfield 3 were overrun.

Mansell hardly had a kick.

The wing backs 1st half never crossed half way line.

Marginally better when we went to back 4 but we could have lost.

Not good enough.

And as for sweary Moron Mr Angry behind the goal 1st half- You made your point initially but continued with your vile abuse for 20 minutes till the relief of ht whistle. Don’t come back with your bile. It’s frankly disgusting with kids and ladies around. The odd f word slips out from me too but the tirade was just delivered by a low life. 

Go away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree. Penrice was even worse at LB than midfield.

The 3 CB’s were all over the place.

The midfield 3 were overrun.

Mansell hardly had a kick.

The wing backs 1st half never crossed half way line.

Marginally better when we went to back 4 but we could have lost.

Not good enough.

And as for sweary Moron Mr Angry behind the goal 1st half- You made your point initially but continued with your vile abuse for 20 minutes till the relief of ht whistle. Don’t come back with your bile. It’s frankly disgusting with kids and ladies around. The odd f word slips out from me too but the tirade was just delivered by a low life. 

Go away.

Quite a few wasted ********* in our fanbase today embarrassing themselves and the club. Absolute morons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I cant speak for others on here but its been clearly apparent to all that 3 at the back is not working. Last season and the 4 league cup ties showed GC that he doesn't have the right players for this system. 10 minutes in it was clear to all of the people I was beside that it was not working and was not going to work. Is it arrogance that stops him changing it or incompetence? Early days.

Not sure whether it is arrogance or incompetence, system doesn’t work with players he’s got at his disposal, today for example tried to shoe horn Cardle into a No 10 role when we all know he’s our only creative player on the park as a winger , played Penrice as a holding midfield player which didn’t work and if you’re going to persevere with 3/5 at the back then Mcginty has to be the defender in the middle of the 3 as he’s the only defender who’s got the ability to join the midfield with his running and passing ability .

Think Caldwell overthinks things , play to the players strengths and a system that they are comfortable with .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Today shows how important Cammy Palmer is to the team.  He gives us balance and a dig which was badly lacking.  Tam O'Ware is excellent.

Good player that Cammy Palmer might become, should we be really pinning our promotion aspirations on a 19yr old Sevco player who hasn’t even played 10 first team games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Good player that Cammy Palmer might become, should we be really pinning our promotion aspirations on a 19yr old Sevco player who hasn’t even played 10 first team games 

I think you're right. We're missing an experienced Big Abul type of player. Not Big Abdul himself, mind, just someone like him to command the midfield physically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Good player that Cammy Palmer might become, should we be really pinning our promotion aspirations on a 19yr old Sevco player who hasn’t even played 10 first team games 

I wouldn’t say anyone is pinning Promotion hopes on him but it’s clear for all to see he’s streets ahead of Penrice in that position 

we are also in desperate need of a proper attacking no 10 who can build and link attacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many workers in the middle of the park and no creativity by the looks of things. 

Bannigan is a tidy player and works hard.

Gordon will get from box to box all game but isn't one that gets on the ball and picks out a defence splitting pass.

I was dying for Penrice to make a mark on the team but I really think he lacks confidence, I do think he would be better as a midfielder. Dont think he has the pace for left back.

Cardle is best when he starts out wide, 

Miller is miles ahead of Mansell I don't understand why he didn't start as his link up play would have suited Cardle and Gordon when we were going forward.

The back 3 needs to go imo.. unless he plays  2 upfront it's pointless.

 a new centre half to partner Big Tam would be ******* ideal.  I don't  rate Saunders at all he was just an upgrade on Keown at the time.  And we all know Mcginty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We played for most of the game three centrebacks and two holding midfielders today. I'd say that's classic away from home let's not get beaten philosophy. Well we didn't get beaten and got what we deserved.  Caldwell can rightfully complain about the lack of intensity but with a set up like that you can almost forgive the players for their lack of positivity. Almost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't travel through today and having read the match reports together with the train cancellation it clearly wasn't an awayday to remember. 

Were the pitch dimensions same as last season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We played for most of the game three centrebacks and two holding midfielders today. I'd say that's classic away from home let's not get beaten philosophy. Well we didn't get beaten and got what we deserved.  Caldwell can rightfully complain about the lack of intensity but with a set up like that you can almost forgive the players for their lack of positivity. Almost.

I only seen the team line up .. wasn't at the game, I initially thought we lined up 

                                   Sneddon

             Saunders    Oware   Mcginty 

Will                                                                     Robs

                     Banzo               Penrice

         Cardle                                  Gordon 

                                  Mansell 

How  did we actually line up ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitch was more 'normal' size, not that it helped, to be honest. I get that Caldwell should be criticised for the set up, (lineup exactly as you called it, Thistle88), but some of those players need to take a long hard look at themselves. That was one of the poorest performances from Bannigan that I've seen and Penrice clearly isn't as good a player as he thinks he is, some of his play was downright sloppy.

We were still playing three at the back at the beginning of the second half and we were, at last, putting Alloa under significant pressure. The formation wasn't the optimum one on the day, but the players were the ones who ensured it was never going to work.

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a draw away from home. The first game of the season tends to come with raised, maybe unreasonable, expectations, but that performance was well short of anything approaching acceptable.

I'll be there on Friday, of course. Second game in and already it's a 'must win' game. Jesus, but this is exhausting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

Pitch was more 'normal' size, not that it helped, to be honest. I get that Caldwell should be criticised for the set up, (lineup exactly as you called it, Thistle88), but some of those players need to take a long hard look at themselves. That was one of the poorest performances from Bannigan that I've seen and Penrice clearly isn't as good a player as he thinks he is, some of his play was downright sloppy.

We were still playing three at the back at the beginning of the second half and we were, at last, putting Alloa under significant pressure. The formation wasn't the optimum one on the day, but the players were the ones who ensured it was never going to work.

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a draw away from home. The first game of the season tends to come with raised, maybe unreasonable, expectations, but that performance was well short of anything approaching acceptable.

I'll be there on Friday, of course. Second game in and already it's a 'must win' game. Jesus, but this is exhausting.

 

It was  the only line up I could make sense of but..  there isn't a proper playmaker in that team today. 

Why play someone who is seen as a target man with 2 attacking midfielders? 

Miller would have linked play with Cardle and possibly Robson for example. Big Mansell would be more useful had we went with a 4.4.2 with 2 wingers and a supporting striker. 

I just think everything we  actually tried during those cup games was a complete waste of time because none of it was implemented in the formation we started  with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Pitch was more 'normal' size, not that it helped, to be honest. I get that Caldwell should be criticised for the set up, (lineup exactly as you called it, Thistle88), but some of those players need to take a long hard look at themselves. That was one of the poorest performances from Bannigan that I've seen and Penrice clearly isn't as good a player as he thinks he is, some of his play was downright sloppy.

We were still playing three at the back at the beginning of the second half and we were, at last, putting Alloa under significant pressure. The formation wasn't the optimum one on the day, but the players were the ones who ensured it was never going to work.

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a draw away from home. The first game of the season tends to come with raised, maybe unreasonable, expectations, but that performance was well short of anything approaching acceptable.

I'll be there on Friday, of course. Second game in and already it's a 'must win' game. Jesus, but this is exhausting.

 

This.

Ran out of likes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, a pretty dismal draw against part-timers. At this early stage it inevitably sends out at least two (non-mutually exclusive messages):

- Alloa might surprise a few people, again.

- We will struggle to stay out of the relegation play-off zone, again.

Of course there's a long, long way to go. But a defeat, or even a draw against the Arabs, and that second message might already start to look more likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I went in expectation for a change......more fool me.

Wrong formation. Everytime I have seen us 3 at the back we get overrun in midfield. Same happened today. GC's proud proclamation that we would be playing a pressing game as a unit fell on it's face today. Zero evidence of that in this lacklustre performance. It was clear right from the start we were set up wrong. 

I'm wondering if the behind the scenes shenanigans might have affected our players. Lots of conjecture amongst the support today about financial mismanagement and downright felonies appropriation which has left us in a financial pickle would, if true, be unnerving to our players. 

Had we won today by say 3 goals I'd be exercising caution so a 1-1 against alloa, let's give it a few games.

Underwhelmed so far.

Good to hear your analysis, TB.

What our manager says and what actually happens are not always the same. The problems from last season remain; initial tactics wrong, we are late to adjust, we are then coming from behind.

Our current squad is also incomplete. Something has to give surely? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was so disappointing. How many times did we hit the ball into an Alloa player, when trying to clear.

And how slowly did we play. In this league you need to play with a high tempo. We showed during the league cup games we can do that. Not today.

The only positive is that we only played for about 20 mins and came away with a draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of criticism above, and it's totally justified regarding our first half performance when it looked like we were playing a pre season friendly.  However I thought right from the first kick of the second half that we always a huge improvement when we played with a much higher tempo and thoroughly deserved our equaliser. I also liked the fact we took off a defender and brought on Miller who looked like a real leader demanding more from everyone. 

Otherwise, I felt Penrice was poor in midfield, he is too one footed to play there, I thought Robson and Cardle linked up well on the left for the first half hour and then the latter moved into the middle and did nothing. I was also concerned about defenders making basic errors giving Alloa decent half chances.

So on the basis f the first half we'll do well to avoid relegation and on the basis of the second the play offs are in sight.  It should be an interesting season based on what we saw today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

I only seen the team line up .. wasn't at the game, I initially thought we lined up 

                                   Sneddon

             Saunders    Oware   Mcginty 

Will                                                                     Robs

                     Banzo               Penrice

         Cardle                                  Gordon 

                                  Mansell 

How  did we actually line up ?

Just watched highlights, according to the commentator, formation was supposed to be 3-1-4-1-1. Penrice in front of back 3, and and Cardle behind Mansell. GC was constantly shouting pressing instructions when Alloa had the ball,  which makes me think the players weren’t sure what they should be doing. Gordon (in particular who spent most tome on the right), Banzo and Penrice often got pulled out of position, which meant a centre half had to cover for the hole, and Alloa waltzed through our middle. This has basically happened since the opening game against Hibs a couple of seasons back. I think our centre-mid is our main problem. We have not had a natural Paton/Osbourne/Bauben/Osman, and no one with the passing range of Welsh/Barton. Slater might make a difference when he comes back, allowing Banzo to sit more, and Slater does more of the distribution. But I’m not convinced.

Im usually pretty positive, and in fact we could have won it.  But much improvement needed.

Edited by Jaggy Bunnet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jaggy Bunnet said:

Just watched highlights, according to the commentator, formation was supposed to be 3-1-4-1-1. Penrice in front of back 3, and and Cardle behind Mansell. GC was constantly shouting pressing instructions when Alloa had the ball,  which makes me think the players weren’t sure what they should be doing. Gordon (in particular who spent most tome on the right), Banzo and Penrice often got pulled out of position, which meant a centre half had to cover for the hole, and Alloa waltzed through our middle. This has basically happened since the opening game against Hibs a couple of seasons back. I think our centre-mid is our main problem. We have not had a natural Paton/Osbourne/Bauben/Osman, and no one with the passing range of Welsh/Barton. Slater might make a difference when he comes back, allowing Banzo to sit more, and Slater does more of the distribution. But I’m not convinced.

Im usually pretty positive, and I’m fact we could have won it.  But much improvement needed.

Spot on.

My concern is that we have four midfielders who weren't playing yesterday - Palmer, Slater, Harkins and Wilson - and I don't think the inclusion of any of them would make a significant difference.

Given we've got six players (add in Bannigan and Gordon) for three positions, what's the chance of bringing in another midfielder who can transform things?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised no one has mentioned Mitchell. 

He had their full back on toast but didn't see enough of the ball especially 1st half. Looks a good signing.

Bannigan's error cost us the game. Sneddon barely had a save to make despite simple balls behind our defenders causing chaos constantly. Their keeper made quite a few saves, some excellent so I think there is way too much pessimism on here.

We must have lost 90% of headed challenges and man mountain McGinty doesn't look like he will get close to scoring with a header.

No chance of promotion based on that but I never expected that level of improvement in one season anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×