attendance v DU

scotty

4500 fans of St Mirren turned out today in this weather even though their team had made a Shite start to the season and apparently watched a good team performance leading to a good win over Aberdeen. Makes you wonder about if weather really makes a difference or it’s more about putting up with the same old shite 

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Gerry B mentioned that we get no direct TV funding from Friday night. With the exception of an additional pitch side advertising we're clearly losing out. Gerry thought the attendance if the game was played at 3pm Saturday would be up about 1000. I reckon that guesstimate's a bit on the conservative side. Each club will have two home 7.05 Fri games. Let's hope the next one isn't against a club who would bring a sizable crowd on a Saturday. The ridiculously early KO time is bound to affect attendances considerably.

Not to mention the weather forecast was terrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruchillnomore said:

4500 fans of St Mirren turned out today in this weather even though their team had made a Shite start to the season and apparently watched a good team performance leading to a good win over Aberdeen. Makes you wonder about if weather really makes a difference or it’s more about putting up with the same old shite 

St Mirren drew last week at Hibs, I think. That isn’t usually a bad result. Today was their 1st home league game and it wasn’t on the tv

45 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Why, if the clubs receive nothing from BBC, is coverage permitted?

Don't shoot the messenger, Weebaw, but the BBC TV money is pooled with other TV income etc. The collective money is then split throughout the four divisions with the lion's share going to....Well, I reckon you can guess where.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

11 hours ago, Ruchillnomore said:

St Mirren got beat last week from Hibs  and crashed and burned out the League cup but hey ho let’s not get facts in the way of a debate/forum 

Apologies, I thought they had done ok last week. Maybe the “pundits” had been talking them up ?

The other 2 points remain valid though.

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't shoot the messenger, Weebaw, but the BBC TV money is pooled with other TV income etc. The collective money is then split throughout the four divisions with the lion's share going to....Well, I reckon you can guess where.

This is outrageous(but not your fault)!

I don’t think there is any live BBC coverage of the PL? Is the Sportscene deal and live coverage of lower leagues deal all rolled into one?

If so, we are subsidising the PL. We probably lost about 20k and pissed off a lot of fans from both teams.

I can accept (almost) inappropriate kO times dictated by Sky/BT because they pay reasonable money but the BBC should be told to get on their bikes.

The supporters should rebel!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scotty said:

The TV deal was something GB spoke about. He didn't sound too pleased about it and pointed out that it was the SPFL that brokered rhe deal and that clubs had no say in it.

I really struggle to see point of any live TV deal that you don't make a lot of money out of.  Allowing a terrestrial broadcaster to show lower league Scottish matches live for buttons is absolute insanity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scotty said:

The TV deal was something GB spoke about. He didn't sound too pleased about it and pointed out that it was the SPFL that brokered rhe deal and that clubs had no say in it.

I thought the SPFL was the clubs. Just maybe not the diddy ones.

Anyway, honest question. Have we ever won on a Friday night? I even seem to remember that we lost to Accies in our promotion season. I think I remember beating Morton years ago when it was a pilot thing, but never since.

8 minutes ago, allyo said:

Anyway, honest question. Have we ever won on a Friday night? I even seem to remember that we lost to Accies in our promotion season. I think I remember beating Morton years ago when it was a pilot thing, but never since.

The Morton game was the first Friday game we took part in, it was described as 'experimental' …. finished 5-0, [ O'Donnell 3, Doolan 29, Elliot 76, Erskine 82, Stewart 89] a great night weather wise and for atmosphere [30th September 2011 with a KO at 7.45] . It worked because it was a 'derby' game with the opponents being near neighbours. Easy for the away support to get to the game, and get home. I think the gate was 3380 [ish]

15 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

The Morton game was the first Friday game we took part in, it was described as 'experimental' …. finished 5-0, [ O'Donnell 3, Doolan 29, Elliot 76, Erskine 82, Stewart 89] a great night weather wise and for atmosphere [30th September 2011 with a KO at 7.45] . It worked because it was a 'derby' game with the opponents being near neighbours. Easy for the away support to get to the game, and get home. I think the gate was 3380 [ish]

I don't remember us winning one since. I remember losing (at Firhill) to Hamilton, Aberdeen, Celtic, St Mirren, Dundee United, Inverness etc etc

Dragging myself back across the city after defeat, no time for a decent pub stop before the last train. All round miserable experience.

23 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

This is outrageous(but not your fault)!

I don’t think there is any live BBC coverage of the PL? Is the Sportscene deal and live coverage of lower leagues deal all rolled into one?

If so, we are subsidising the PL. We probably lost about 20k and pissed off a lot of fans from both teams.

I can accept (almost) inappropriate kO times dictated by Sky/BT because they pay reasonable money but the BBC should be told to get on their bikes.

The supporters should rebel!

IMHO a significant proportion of these monies should go into a fund to support clubs in upgrading facilities for the fans - installing defibrillators, renovating toilets, etc. Little by little, it should be possible to improve what's being offered to fans - particularly visiting fans. All the clubs, bar the big two, would benefit from a measure of cooperation like this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

IMHO a significant proportion of these monies should go into a fund to support clubs in upgrading facilities for the fans - installing defibrillators, renovating toilets, etc. Little by little, it should be possible to improve what's being offered to fans - particularly visiting fans. All the clubs, bar the big two, would benefit from a measure of cooperation like this.

Not disagreeing, in fact there's a considerable amount of marketing opportunities for the TV company involved even if it was SPFL/SFA instigated. Sadly that would likely rule out the BBC.

I imagine negotiations go something like this..........

Dungcaster- We're looking at selling the rights to 20 Friday night Championship games. £75K per game sound alright?

BBC Fella- Naw. We're thinking more in the region of £10K

Dungcaster- Perhaps we could meet you somewhere in the middle, provided we choose the fixtures. Local derby games minimum travel for away fans.

BBC Fella- OK, we're willing to compromise on price of games but we pick the fixtures. After all the more inconvenienced the away fans are the more likely they are to watch the match on TV. That way with more viewers we can offer you more lolly.

Duncaster- Clever. OK, lets settle on the price per game. Will you meet us halfway?

BBC Fella- Very well, Neil. You drive a hard bargain. How does £20K sound?

Duncaster- Done deal. What's your tipple, Bollinger or Krug?

BBC Fella- Done deal it is. I'm in an awful hurry, tho', mind if I just take the champagne bottles with me?

Door closes, then reopens.

BBC Fella- Oh, nearly forgot the TV games have to kick off at five past seven. Take it that's not a problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, allyo said:

The SPFL is Neil Doncaster, it’s his club and he allows teams like ours to attend under his conditions. It’s set up solely to benefit his huge ego and his Friends in Parkhead and Ibrox

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

The SPFL is Neil Doncaster, it’s his club and he allows teams like ours to attend under his conditions. It’s set up solely to benefit his huge ego and his Friends in Parkhead and Ibrox

Well said, though I suspect he doesn't allow clubs like us to attend, perhaps video link or Skype. With the sound turned down if course

6 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Good idea and makes sense. The reasons why it will never happen in Scottish football.