Challenge Cup

Stephen1876

14 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Looking forward to this. Never been to Montrose.

Always assuming, of course, they don't decide to show it on TV and change the kick off to five past seven on a Friday night - still fuming about the Arbroath game....

I think these games are covered by BBC Alba. Could perhaps be a five past four game on a Sunday???

16 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Looking forward to this. Never been to Montrose.

Always assuming, of course, they don't decide to show it on TV and change the kick off to five past seven on a Friday night - still fuming about the Arbroath game....

Same here, a new ground to tick off my list so looking forward to it.  Is it just me though or is the name of this cup the most tinpot thing ever even by Scottish football standards. :wacko2:

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Same here, a new ground to tick off my list so looking forward to it.  Is it just me though or is the name of this cup the most tinpot thing ever even by Scottish football standards. :wacko2:

I can't think of anything more Scottish than a football competition called 'The Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup'!

It goes all the way past tinpot into something surreal...

14 minutes ago, DenisOhDenis said:

The first and last time I was in Montrose for a Thistle game was in the 1970-71 season and we ended up getting promoted.  A lucky omen?

Last time I was there we won 1-0 In 1992. We got promoted to the Premier Division at the end of that season too...

I am sure that the first "public" game Ian McCall managed for Thistle was a pre-season friendly at Montrose. We lost 2-0. It was one of these artificial surfaces where lots of black stuff rose up from the pitch every time the ball bounced. It was a return for David Rowson after a few seasons away and was a first sighting for several notable names, including:

Liam Buchanan

Scott Chaplain

Gary Harkins

Ryan McStay

Marc Twaddle

10 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I’m sure we played there in a midweek pre season game and won 1 or 2-0,  maybe around the early 2000’s?

No we went up in the winter break I’m sure when Gerry Britton and Derek Whyte were the co-managers. We won 4-0, midweek friendly. Think Gerry scored 2 and maybe that young lad we had Matthew Shields?