Dross county Saturday bet fred cup..

Jimmy McD

Firs of all I would like to unreservedly apologise for predicting that we would recieve a sound thrashing. I admit that I won’t be putting in or ‘Mystic Megs’s’ old job anytime soon..

I’m exceedingly happy to have had my torn backside well and truly handed to me today. Unfortunately, due to a recent illness I couldn’t make it along today and had to settle for the ‘Jagzone’ again today and no insult to Christopher et al, but it’s really hard work listening to a radio commentary. Nonetheless, we got the result and from the commentary it sounded like we actually seemed to deserve it. 

I’m sure I speak for all Jags’ fans of all ages when I say that hopefully this result acts as a turning point in our season and that we can now push on for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

We were incredibly patient with Spittal, a talent but non performer most weeks. His celebration in front of fans who endured his pitiful efforts last season was unnecessary.

I admit I never liked the guy.

The way he decided not to continue summed him up. Utterly spineless.

You beauty. Enjoy the adulation of 36 fans, Blair. And the freezing North East winters.

Thistle were terrific from the moment we scored although they collapsed. Subs were spot on. But De Vita And Gordon we’re very poor.

An excellent, entertaining game which should encourage more to turn out next time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A minute after we bring on O’Ware to go 3 at the back. Tactical masterstroke

O'Ware was in fact played in front of the back four.

Not really got an opinion one way or the other but it has to be said Banzo was near dead on his feet and Palmer was no match for the physicality of County. On the minus side possibly triggered us defending too deep but surprisingly on the plus side we did keep our shape and discipline. 

3 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

We were incredibly patient with Spittal, a talent but non performer most weeks. His celebration in front of fans who endured his pitiful efforts last season was unnecessary.

I admit I never liked the guy.

The way he decided not to continue summed him up. Utterly spineless.

You beauty. Enjoy the adulation of 36 fans, Blair. And the freezing North East winters.

Thistle were terrific from the moment we scored although they collapsed. Subs were spot on. But De Vita And Gordon we’re very poor.

An excellent, entertaining game which should encourage more to turn out next time.

Yeah agree with everything you say.

I was there and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I just feel i've been there so many times before and come home disappointed so credit to Caldwell I suppose.

a bit of humble pie for myself, I thought Miller was a waste of money and too old. I thought he was great today. Experience and ability meant he ran the show, My MOTM.

A word for Palmer as well. Aged 19. He's got a great future. We've done well to get him playing for us

Were not going to win the cup but I'm thinking the confidence from todays win will be the biggest positive

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Sure it was 36 County fans 

Joking aside, over 10% of the crowd. Any jibes should be for the stay away fans in a crowd of around 2000. 

The numbers will never add up with our poor attendance at home.

Especially with fans allegedly misusing the kids for free tickets.

2 hours ago, Big Col said:

Not really a surprise AJ. Poor fare served up so far this season and the game is not on a season ticket. 

But today will hopefully be a launch pad for the rest of the season and crowds will pick up as we play better and win games.

4 games at Firhill this season so far. We have won 3. 2Against lower league teams and 1 against higher league opposition. Lost our only league game at Firhill so far. We have scored 8 goals and conceded 6. Not bad entertainment so far imo. Any Thistle fan who missed the game yesterday, missed a good game and performance from Thistle. Lets hope we can keep it going.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Great result today but anyone who thinks Fox should be in ahead of Sneddon needs a slap

I think it is touch and go between them. Sneddon wasnt great last week and Fox didn’t deal well with a few crosses, but that could have been down to the wind. What’s your reasons for the post ?

Positives for me were the performances of Saunders, McGinty and Penrice in defence. (Williamson did okay, but wasn't outstanding like the other three.)

Particularly impressed with Saunders who I've felt has been a real weak link in the past - his performance yesterday showed the kind of experienced stability we've been crying out for. So much better than he's shown in previous games - maybe he's just more comfortable as the right sided centre half in a back four?

McGinty was, well, just big Sean - far from perfect, but heart-on-sleeve committed. If he can improve his concentration, he's got a real future ahead of him.

Penrice was more like himself yesterday. After a few shaky games, he showed what he's capable of. He's already clearly able to play at a higher level and it's only a matter of time before he does.

As for the rest, Kenny Miller showed why Caldwell wanted him in the team. It's not just that his experience means that he can direct others around him (why isn't he the captain?), or that he can score goals, his level of desire to win games matches big Sean's. He won't let the team chuck it when things go against them. I think that's invaluable.

Jones and Mansell both showed flashes of what they're capable of. I'd like to think that when they do get onto the goal sheet they'll both go on to score barrowloads. (I fear this might be wishful thinking, though.)

Bannigan showed the best and the worst of his game yesterday. There is no doubting his commitment and his ability to stitch together our play absolutely drives us a times, but he's still guilty of giving away unnecessary fouls (and picking up a booking in the process) and making making mistakes which gift the ball to the opposition and puts us in danger of conceeding a goal. I wonder if he's trying to do too much? He seems to be focussing on what he's going to do next with the ball to such an extent that he fails to control it properly when it comes to him. Maybe when Slater comes back, he'll get some assistance.

I really like the look of Palmer. His strength is obviously in his defensive abilities, but when he drives forward with the ball, he really causes the opposition problems. He really does remind me of Billy Bremner - okay, young and not fully developed yet, but at that age even Billy Bremner wasn't Billy Bremner...

My major concerns yesterday were in the performances of Da Vita and Gordon. I've yet to see what Da Vita adds to our team. Maybe he'll show something more once he's fully match fit, but he needs to get a move on.

Shea Gordon is a bit of an enigma. There's no doubting the goal threat he poses when he's in the box, but his midfield play can be poor. Where do we play him? Bit of a problem.

Overall, though, I feel a lot better this morning than I did yesterday morning!

Edited by Firhillista
  • Like 2

I've been a bit unsure about Kenny Miller but yesterday helped win me over. I hate the way he always blames a team mate when a move breaks down even when he was blatantly at fault. On the other hand he's still got that nose for goal so will hopefully get a good number this season.  As an ex keeper I was impressed when he shook hands and congratulated the County keeper when he pulled off a world class save.

5 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Great result today but anyone who thinks Fox should be in ahead of Sneddon needs a slap

If sneddon had carried on his form last Friday night into this game we would have lost.  There is a potentially great keeper there but Dundee United got 2 easy goals that were preventable.  Entirely right decision to drop him for yesterday’s game 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Positives for me were the performances of Saunders, McGinty and Penrice in defence. (Williamson did okay, but wasn't outstanding like the other three.)

Particularly impressed with Saunders who I've felt has been a real weak link in the past - his performance yesterday showed the kind of experienced stability we've been crying out for. So much better than he's shown in previous games - maybe he's just more comfortable as the right sided centre half in a back four?

McGinty was, well, just big Sean - far from perfect, but heart-on-sleeve committed. If he can improve his concentration, he's got a real future ahead of him.

Penrice was more like himself yesterday. After a few shaky games, he showed what he's capable of. He's already clearly able to play at a higher level and it's only a matter of time before he does.

As for the rest, Kenny Miller showed why Caldwell wanted him in the team. It's not just that his experience means that he can direct others around him (why isn't he the captain?), or that he can score goals, his level of desire to win games matches big Sean's. He won't let the team chuck it when things go against them. I think that's invaluable.

Jones and Mansell both showed flashes of what they're capable of. I'd like to think that when they do get onto the goal sheet they'll both go on to score barrowloads. (I fear this might be wishful thinking, though.)

Bannigan showed the best and the worst of his game yesterday. There is no doubting his commitment and his ability to stitch together our play absolutely drives us a times, but he's still guilty of giving away unnecessary fouls (and picking up a booking in the process) and making making mistakes which gift the ball to the opposition and puts us in danger of conceeding a goal. I wonder if he's trying to do too much? He seems to be focussing on what he's going to do next with the ball to such an extent that he fails to control it properly when it comes to him. Maybe when Slater comes back, he'll get some assistance.

I really like the look of Palmer. His strength is obviously in his defensive abilities, but when he drives forward with the ball, he really causes the opposition problems. He really does remind me of Billy Bremner - okay, young and not fully developed yet, but at that age even Billy Bremner wasn't Billy Bremner...

My major concerns yesterday were in the performances of Da Vita and Gordon. I've yet to see what Da Vita adds to our team. Maybe he'll show something more once he's fully match fit, but he needs to get a move on.

Shea Gordon is a bit of an enigma. There's no doubting the goal threat he poses when he's in the box, but his midfield play can be poor. Where do we play him? Bit of a problem.

Overall, though, I feel a lot better this morning than I did yesterday morning!

Agree with your comments on Banzo. I think he misses Slater who is always available for a pass and helps share the workload in midfield. Is Slater back training after his op ? Caldwell said his ankle wound had an infection. 

13 hours ago, stillresigned said:

Firs of all I would like to unreservedly apologise for predicting that we would recieve a sound thrashing. I admit that I won’t be putting in or ‘Mystic Megs’s’ old job anytime soon..

I’m exceedingly happy to have had my torn backside well and truly handed to me today. Unfortunately, due to a recent illness I couldn’t make it along today and had to settle for the ‘Jagzone’ again today and no insult to Christopher et al, but it’s really hard work listening to a radio commentary. Nonetheless, we got the result and from the commentary it sounded like we actually seemed to deserve it. 

I’m sure I speak for all Jags’ fans of all ages when I say that hopefully this result acts as a turning point in our season and that we can now push on for the rest of the season.

Hope you are now feeling better and get back to Firhill soon.