Reasons to be positive

Woodstock Jag

It’s evident that there is no pace and nobody capable of beating a man except Cardle, probably our best player this season but a 32 year old journeyman of 9 clubs. 

This amounts to no flair and long ball tactics as we cannot retain possession.

Our promotion team had Erskine and Lawless at their peak plus 2 rampant full backs.

How I yearn for someone with this ability.

Lets hope the Aussie guy can get us up the pitch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I'll say it yet again: the root of all evil at Firhill, since the day I crossed the door, is the preparedness of large numbers of fans to accept incompetent, substandard, and occasionally disgraceful,  performances from the board, the manager and the players.

So what do you expect fans to do about it? Are we any different from most other fans in Scotland, OF excepted?

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

It’s evident that there is no pace and nobody capable of beating a man except Cardle, probably our best player this season but a 32 year old journeyman of 9 clubs. 

This amounts to no flair and long ball tactics as we cannot retain possession.

Our promotion team had Erskine and Lawless at their peak plus 2 rampant full backs.

How I yearn for someone with this ability.

Lets hope the Aussie guy can get us up the pitch.

I’d take David amoo in a heartbeat now! 

4 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Ahhh, now I never thought that anyone could come up with that one as an answer ….. 

...or you could have taken a look at your own user name? How many of our fans even stay in Maryhill these days?

Could the club not target folk who stay locally now whether it's students or market the local area?

Bottom line though winning teams get bums on seats. That's a whole different issue.

I’m afraid this is one of those times when I find it hard to be at all positive about anything to do with Partick Thistle.

Like most Jags fans I can only hope that Mr Beattie’s talk of this takeover bears some fruit. As simply put we’re trundling along the road to nowhere and I cling up speed as we descend.

Alternatively, we could all bear witness to a miracle, but without wishing to be negative these have been in pretty short supply since I officially became a Jag next n 1976.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

This may be clutching at straws …… we played a bad 45 minutes against DUFC and a bad 20 minutes against the 'ton'. Crucial spells as it turned out, but relatively short spells of rank, rotten play. Could a team with O'Ware as captain and playing a full 90 minutes be something we should be considering? Stuart Bannigan does not strike me as a natural captain.

Also, I know that Mansell does not have a lot of fans on this forum, but while he was on the field last night the Morton defence found him difficult to handle. I think his energy in pulling defences about allows the more natural goal scorers in the team [not that we have many of those admittedly] to have more opportunities.

Also, we have a good goalkeeper in young Sneddon, play him as number 1 and allow Fox to find another team …. having 2 number one GK's is not helping the team 'bed in' as a unit, and consequently means our defence needing to adapt to the requirements of each GK on a game by game basis …. this is something that is easily done in training, but not so easy when you are in 'back to the wall' defending mode during an actual game.

Sorry games are won or lost over 90 minutes. If we end up relegated we can seek solice in the fact we played well in 45/60/70 minutes of games  

On 8/24/2019 at 7:30 PM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

This may be clutching at straws …… we played a bad 45 minutes against DUFC and a bad 20 minutes against the 'ton'. Crucial spells as it turned out, but relatively short spells of rank, rotten play. Could a team with O'Ware as captain and playing a full 90 minutes be something we should be considering? Stuart Bannigan does not strike me as a natural captain.

Also, I know that Mansell does not have a lot of fans on this forum, but while he was on the field last night the Morton defence found him difficult to handle. I think his energy in pulling defences about allows the more natural goal scorers in the team [not that we have many of those admittedly] to have more opportunities.

Also, we have a good goalkeeper in young Sneddon, play him as number 1 and allow Fox to find another team …. having 2 number one GK's is not helping the team 'bed in' as a unit, and consequently means our defence needing to adapt to the requirements of each GK on a game by game basis …. this is something that is easily done in training, but not so easy when you are in 'back to the wall' defending mode during an actual game.

Agree with much of that and I appreciate you're trying to put a positive spin on things. But when you say we had a bad 20 mins against Morton it kinda implies we had a reasonable 70 mins. Nothing could be further from the truth,

21 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Sorry games are won or lost over 90 minutes. If we end up relegated we can seek solice in the fact we played well in 45/60/70 minutes of games  

21 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with much of that and I appreciate you're trying to put a positive spin on things. But when you say we had a bad 20 mins against Morton it kinda implies we had a reasonable 70 mins. Nothing could be further from the truth,

Regards the Morton game, there were two teams playing poorly for 70 minutes [the weather being a contributing factor] The purpose of the mail was to strike a sort of balance …. nothing that has happens so far this season should have resulted in GC being sacked. The team have managed to play well against some higher rated teams and have managed a quarter final in a cup they would love to win again, and in doing so have managed to add two more good players to the squad through the money earned in the cup run. 

I think the big problem the team will have this season is being able to contain teams when the opposition gain the initiative and momentum. It is quite obvious we cannot hold the upper hand in games for the full 90 minutes [very few teams can] so we need to develop a phase of play when we can at least pass the ball about from player to player, not just hoof the ball out of the park in a sort of blind panic.

It will be interesting to see how we deal with Ayr on Saturday, I'm nervous, but hopeful.

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Time to 'prorogue'(heard this word a few times today) the new owner thread, until something is actually known about the proposed takeover. Can admin do that, or do we need to go to a higher power.:thinking:

I will write to my MP to ensure that this does not happen. Being positive, I may be a step closer to being a Scottish citizen (although I hope that does not take this thread off in a completely new direction

12 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Regards the Morton game, there were two teams playing poorly for 70 minutes [the weather being a contributing factor] The purpose of the mail was to strike a sort of balance …. nothing that has happens so far this season should have resulted in GC being sacked. The team have managed to play well against some higher rated teams and have managed a quarter final in a cup they would love to win again, and in doing so have managed to add two more good players to the squad through the money earned in the cup run. 

I think the big problem the team will have this season is being able to contain teams when the opposition gain the initiative and momentum. It is quite obvious we cannot hold the upper hand in games for the full 90 minutes [very few teams can] so we need to develop a phase of play when we can at least pass the ball about from player to player, not just hoof the ball out of the park in a sort of blind panic.

It will be interesting to see how we deal with Ayr on Saturday, I'm nervous, but hopeful.

A balanced considered post.

6 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Time to 'prorogue'(heard this word a few times today) the new owner thread, until something is actually known about the proposed takeover. Can admin do that, or do we need to go to a higher power.:thinking:

Do you mean Ian Maxwell?

I studied Constitutional Law in the 1970s. The only quote I can remember was a beauty by Prime Minister Herbert Asquith in 1913. In the midst of a similar constitutional crisis he urged the then king to stay out of politics in case the monarch would become "the football of contending factions". Just loved that phrase and the picture it invoked!

Asquith also advised the sovereign to steer clear of the "New Owner" thread.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Do you mean Ian Maxwell?

I studied Constitutional Law in the 1970s. The only quote I can remember was a beauty by Prime Minister Herbert Asquith in 1913. In the midst of a similar constitutional crisis he urged the then king to stay out of politics in case the monarch would become "the football of contending factions". Just loved that phrase and the picture it invoked!

Asquith also advised the sovereign to steer clear of the "New Owner" thread.

You've got the job ptd.:worship:

After today's result against Ayr, our position at the bottom of the table and the gap already to the top,  I can't see any positives right now. The club is a shambles. This isn't a completely talentless bunch of players, but they're collectively not performing. The manager speaks like a used car salesman / politician and appears utterly inept.

I've no confidence the alleged takeover is going to take place or if it does, that it would prove a positive move. And I've no confidence in the current board.

I also think we'll seriously live to regret the loss of Colin Weir's support.

I hope I'm proved wrong and good times come to Firhill soon, but it's really hard to see that at the moment. A tough time to be a Jag. ☹️

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...