Stuart Bannigan

Prince of Partick

I was in the stand at Cappielow on Friday night, Caldwell as usual tries to tell the experienced players what to do from the technical area, reminds me of an over anxious parent at a school game.

Banzo has not been himself this season although against Ross County he was back to his best.

When he was substituted on Friday night he was raging.

To my mind Cammy was knackered and was the obvious one to come off.

Is there a problem between Banzo  and Caldwell ?

Could Banzo be off in this window, McCall will be watching this situation closely !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got any thoughts ?????????????

He's struggled as the deepest midfielder. He was one of our better players in the First half when playing on the front foot but was as culpable as the others in that second half where we seemed to invite Morton into attacking at will.

I doubt he'll be away in this transfer window especially to Ayr, largely down to the fact they couldn't afford a fee and his wages.

He and Palmer need a genuine defensive midfielder in there so they can be more creative and have the confidence to be more positive in possession.  Maybe Saunders or TOW in front of the chosen central defence?

I don't think any of the players would be happy with how they played or how the result went on Friday so I wouldn't read to much into his dissatisfaction on the night. If he wasn't raging I'd may be asking more questions.

Bannigan is our best player in my opinion but we are not getting the best out of him. He needs a strong tackler next to him but we don't have that player. Even with two midfielders to come back after injury none are the player Stuart needs next to him. 

These type of players are not easy to come by and with Falkirk paying silly money to Tidser we did not have too many options. 

Unless Caldwell can source a suitable midfield partner I feel the best option is to play Palmer next to him. He is very inexperienced but has a bit of bite about him and won a fair few 50/50 in the game v Morton. 

Both goals against County came from failings in the defensive midfield department. Something that will continue to happen with the current set up. 

There's always players in any squad who, if playing at a higher level, would shine. Banzo is clearly a prime example.  Surround Bannigan with better quality and he'd prove his worth many times over. That of course doesn't mean he's going to be a stand out when he's playing alongside poorer quality players in our division. 

I think as the season progresses you'll see a guy like Stevie Lawless being successful while Blair Spittal struggle. It's not that there's huge differences in class just that some players can be effective at a higher level whilst others should remain big fish in smaller ponds.

19 hours ago, Prince of Partick said:

I was in the stand at Cappielow on Friday night, Caldwell as usual tries to tell the experienced players what to do from the technical area, reminds me of an over anxious parent at a school game.

Banzo has not been himself this season although against Ross County he was back to his best.

Could Banzo be off in this window, McCall will be watching this situation closely !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think he possibly came off on Friday because he had been booked and think he might have been on the verge of getting sent off with his next bad tackle 

I've thought Banzo has looked a bit dejected at times in recent weeks and there is always a hint of frustration in his game these days which is often accompanied by the yellow card.  He's been playing the break-up role quite a bit too which carries exposure to red and yellow and not in a good way.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 10:54 AM, Prince of Partick said:

I think he will be offski at Xmas   

You have to question Caldwell’s management of banzo. For example, he publically cited a lack of leadership at the recent meet the manager session. I do find some of gc’s honestly refreshing but he is in real danger of pissing off some of his players. Banzo has already seen a load of his mates leave the club recently. Gary is going about this situation with all the grace of the proverbial bull in the china shop. It’s times like these when he really needs the senior players on his side.