vs. Ayr United, Aug 31

Jaggernaut

12 minutes ago, Paukea said:

Please explain as after 4 games they’re  8 points  a head of us

Not much to explain. I was at the game today and saw a Thistle side, the one that's bottom of the table, play streets ahead of Ayr United.

Without overstating the case, Ayr were rank rotten. They only put us under pressure when we were reduced to nine men. Even with ten, we looked relatively comfortable.

One of the biggest frustrations of the season so far is how weak our opponents have been, even Dundee United.

If only we could find some form...

19 minutes ago, Paukea said:

The only positive today was Zanatta and he could be the reason we stay in this league. Caldwell deserves credit for signing him but that’s where his credit stops.

i thought we were poor today even when we went in front just like the Morton game.

Williamson was dreadful defensively and will cost us goals this season. Robson wasn’t much better. Hall at times was decent but at other times a complete bomb scare.Jones is not the answer upfront he can’t even make a 3 yard pass and constantly looses possession. He looks unfit.

Caldwell is as safe as houses as we don’t have the cash to get rid. Which is a sad state of affairs.

3 defeats 1 draw and rooted to the bottom of the league.

We are a laughing stock at the moment

You save me a bit of typing there Paukea, couldn't agree more.   Couldn't believe how bad Williamson was today, his mind looked elsewhere at the disallowed Ayr goal in the first half.

As for Stuart Brannigan.  I'm heartily sick of this guy. I can recall him either giving or nearly giving goals away at Falkirk, Hamilton, East Fife, & Alloa to name

a few and he just shrugs it off and all is forgiven just because he can make a few simple passes, usually under no pressure whatsover.

Put him under pressure and he liable to lose the plot like today and go for a rash tackle.   No great loss in my opinion if he goes elsewhere at the turn of the year.

We need leadership on the park and that's not going to come from him.

I don't know if Gary Caldwell can be blamed for the defeat, he can only do so much, and you need the men on the park to show some intelligence and be a bit more savvy.

You can't ignore that Groundhog Day feeling and that we're going to see a repeat of last season.     

16 minutes ago, Emsca said:

As sure as the sun coming up in the morning as soon as Thistle lose you and your pal Sandy are on spouting your negativity.

Have you no concept or understanding the  notion of " supporting a team". It is when things are going against the team that real supporters  stand up and get behind the team. Not spit the dummy . Yes I get you don't like Caldwell, but he is the manager and until that changes  he should have our support.

There is no doubt that endless negativity from "supporters" translates to the players and creates additional pressure. 

To be fair don’t always agree with big col or JLS but they never revel in defeats - just 2 supporters understandably concerned- I share their concerns both on and off the pitch. I don’t want Caldwell to be sacked neither did I want Archie too, but he needs to sort it or at some point in September/October he will be and can’t complain about it

1 minute ago, Harrybriscoe said:

As for Stuart Brannigan.  I'm heartily sick of this guy. I can recall him either giving or nearly giving goals away at Falkirk, Hamilton, East Fife, & Alloa to name

a few and he just shrugs it off and all is forgiven just because he can make a few simple passes, usually under no pressure whatsover.

Put him under pressure and he liable to lose the plot like today and go for a rash tackle.   No great loss in my opinion if he goes elsewhere at the turn of the year.

We need leadership on the park and that's not going to come from him.

Much as it upsets me to say it, I can't help but agree with this. He gives his all, he never hides, but....

He's certainly not the player he was before his injury.

Despite the number of midfielders we've got in the squad, it's still an area we need to strengthen.

Maybe our final signing of the window will turn it all around...

32 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sandy is that all you can say - revels in defeats, 

Some folk go out for a good drink when we get beaten. Others will be too scunnered and will give the pub a miss. We're all different. If Sandy wants to open a pack of chocolate sweeties when we lose, who are we to condemn?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Not much to explain. I was at the game today and saw a Thistle side, the one that's bottom of the table, play streets ahead of Ayr United.

Without overstating the case, Ayr were rank rotten. They only put us under pressure when we were reduced to nine men. Even with ten, we looked relatively comfortable.

One of the biggest frustrations of the season so far is how weak our opponents have been, even Dundee United.

Sorry Firhillista, I just can't agree with you on Ayr being rank rotten. From where I was sitting in the North Stand, Ayr must have missed a good 4-5 chances that just

whistled past the post.  We had a lot of luck in that first half. 

2 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Sorry Firhillista, I just can't agree with you on Ayr being rank rotten. From where I was sitting in the North Stand, Ayr must have missed a good 4-5 chances that just

whistled past the post.  We had a lot of luck in that first half. 

Amazing how views can differ on a game. I don't remember Sneddon having a save to make in that first half and I thought She'd attempts on goal were pretty pathetic!

18 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Completely agree, Ayr United were a poor, poor team, and even when we went down to 9 men, we should have been able to kill the game and play possession football, [not pretty to watch, but 'needs must' occasionally]

I think Hall and Jones are not fit to play for PTFC, they were simply inadequate in all departments, we sorely missed Penrice …. and the way Williamson played today had me daydreaming about how well Christie Elliot could play when under pressure.

The first red card was a foul, I don't think it even warranted a card of any colour, the second was a straight red, no arguments, but it gifted Ayr United the game simply because PTFC resorted to playing like a pub team.

Zanatta is the best player I have seen in a PTFC shirt for years, I only hope for his sake he has a release clause in his contract for possible relegation scenarios.

If we can find form we will beat some of these teams easily …. but will we find form in time?

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

2 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Amazing how views can differ on a game. I don't remember Sneddon having a save to make in that first half and I thought She'd attempts on goal were pretty pathetic!

Agreed. Sometimes we see games from a different perspective, but I didn't imagine those near misses.  Be interesting to see the highlights on Ayr TV which are usually pretty good.

One came as a result from a lovely header lay off from Kris Doolan and I just stopped myself in time from applauding! 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Utter utter rubbish 

we deservedly went in at half time ahead ... we were even comfortable at 10 men ..how you can think Ayr were either any good or the hungrier team is beyond me ... if we had kept 11 players on the park we round have won the match

positives: zanatta , hall , good play for our second goal , team trying to equalise after we went down 

Absolute shite. We should have gone in 4-2 down at half time. 

We'd never have won the match because our losing mentality was there from the first kick of the ball.

Hall - sold the knockers for an Ayr goal - desperate - at times could pass water.

Only a matter of time before the new board realise what a clown they've got.

Fan bois must be getting desperate, now.

3 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Completely agree, Ayr United were a poor, poor team, and even when we went down to 9 men, we should have been able to kill the game and play possession football, [not pretty to watch, but 'needs must' occasionally]

I think Hall and Jones are not fit to play for PTFC, they were simply inadequate in all departments, we sorely missed Penrice …. and the way Williamson played today had me daydreaming about how well Christie Elliot could play when under pressure.

The first red card was a foul, I don't think it even warranted a card of any colour, the second was a straight red, no arguments, but it gifted Ayr United the game simply because PTFC resorted to playing like a pub team.

Zanatta is the best player I have seen in a PTFC shirt for years, I only hope for his sake he has a release clause in his contract for possible relegation scenarios.

If we can find form we will beat some of these teams easily …. but will we find form?

Agree about jones looks a waste of a signing. Have to disagree about Hall as it’s his first game needs a few to see how he settles in though time will tell

i dearly hope zanatta does not have a relegation clause for our sake

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Some folk go out for a good drink when we get beaten. Others will be too scunnered and will give the pub a miss. We're all different. If Sandy wants to open a pack of chocolate sweeties when we lose, who are we to condemn?

He can eat as many sweets as he likes, his dentist will be pleased. The problem is when he throws them at posters, then gets annoyed when they haven’t done any damage and gets even more annoyed when we don’t hand them back 

9 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Absolute shite. We should have gone in 4-2 down at half time. 

We'd never have won the match because our losing mentality was there from the first kick of the ball.

Hall - sold the knockers for an Ayr goal - desperate - at times could pass water.

Only a matter of time before the new board realise what a clown they've got.

Fan bois must be getting desperate, now.

I’m nit sure Ayr had four attempts at goal at half time .....you need to take your I hate Caldwell glasses off ....hall was fouled for their goal 

8 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

fan bois

'Fan bois'? What are you, ******* 12?

I get we're all pissed off with what's happening, but can we not have a reasonable discussion without degenerating to the level of the school playground.

I'd probably be keener to see the back of Caldwell if the charge wasn't being led by folk who feel the need to show their superiority to everyone else with their cynicism and snide comments.

I'm away to self-medicate with large amounts of alcohol. Better for my mental health than being on here.

Edited by Firhillista
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

'Fan bois'? What are you, ******* 12?

I get we're all pissed off with what's happening, but can we not have a reasonable discussion without degenerating to the level of the school playground.

I'd probably be keener to see the back of Caldwell if the charge wasn't being led by folk who feel the need to show their superiority to everyone else with their cynicism and snide comments.

I'm away to self-medicate with large amounts of alcohol. Better for my mental health than being on here.

Funny how don't you criticise the people who are making personal attacks on Sandy. I mean funny peculiar, not funny ha-ha. 

Very selective abut your moral indignation. People who dish it out it but cant take it.

Let me remind you of our league positions last season, and the shoddy results.. Caldwell has been given 10 games this season to show what he's made of -I draw my conclusions from out current league position.

I don't a flying f--k about your mental health.

I do give one about PTFC.

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

Ayr United are currently second in the league: we are miles better than them.

I fully agree with you on this one however its the fact that they are 2nd and we are bottom is the main crux of the matter, a manager who know what he is doing vs one who does not.

Zanatta had an encouraging debut (interesting McCall saying post match he tried to get him in this week but could not afford him).

Crowd were good at 2–1, ‘bout time our loyal support were rewarded back.

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

But "luck" like Caldwells is going to relegate us - its his Team - His Tacticts - Ayr Utd will have no where near the Budget or resources - they are Second - we are bottom - Since he has been appionted we have been outside the Botom Two No more than a few weeks - cant blame Archie Anymore - there is a consistancy - varying permatations to it each game - but a consistancy     

Only a matter of time now ...

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree Firhillista, watch Bannigans tackle back , red card every day of the week , Shea Gordon’s should have been a yellow .

Think you’ve got to look at Caldwell’s tenure as a whole and it’s not good enough, how long do you give him in a results driven business.

Ayr United have an experienced manager with probably a 1/3 of our resources , lost their 3 best players in Shankland, Rose and Mcdaid and are already 8 points ahead of us in the League.

Time for Ian McCall to come back and get the feel good factor back into our Club.

Get beaten by Arbroath in the league in 2 weeks time and I think Caldwell will be gone..

This is exactly how I saw it - although I think its more like 1/2 our resources

I thought Caldwell was too slow to react to the second sending off, and when he eventually did, playing Mansell on the left where he was tracking back to left back position at times was bizarre 

What a player Zannatta looks - but those giving Caldwell praise for his signing ought to know he has been getting hawked about the division and he came to us after his move to other club fell through

I though banzo was unlucky - it was a red but he was unlucky with the bounce of the ball. Gordon I thought was yellow but I can understand why it was a red.

Hall - not convinced he is better than O Ware

Sneddon - did well

Williamson - looks terrible defensively to me

Zannatta - most exciting new signing for ages!!!    And Palmer impresses me too.

I am no fan of GC,  but I cannot see how we can afford to sack him, but think he should be sacked if we lose at Arbroath. I know its only 5 games in, but we will have played two part time teams by then.