vs. Ayr United, Aug 31

Jaggernaut

23 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

As well as the valid question above, when was the last time we had two reds in a competitive game?

Barney

No one seems to have answered you (perhaps too busy fighting other battles). Purely off the top of my head, here are my memories of relatively recent multi-dismissals. I am sure that there are more:

1) Late 1990s-Arbroath v Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup. Dave Kennedy, Des McKeown and Jamie McKenzie all red carded but the 8 men hold on to win 2-1.

2) 2001-Partick Thistle v Queen of South the week after we had clinched promotion at Stirling. Steven Docherty dismissed for handball in the first half and then Martin Hardie and somebody else (cannot remember who) in quick succession in the second half. Cassidy was the referee. We lost, but were not hammered (0-1 or 0-2?).

3) Mid 2000s-Airdrie v Partick Thistle. Grant Murray and Andy Wilkinson sent off within a few minutes of each other. I think Juan Ramon Escalas scored when we only had 9 men, but we ended up losing 2-4.

Edited by partickthedog
8, not 10, men at Arbroath, Thank you, Pinhead!

Caldwell took out Erskine & Dools to try and stamp his authority. If rumours of a bust-up with O’Ware and Banzo are true, he’s lost the dressing room anyway.

O’Ware should be playing, arguably as captain. Most of these players are better than bottom of the Championship. Yet I don’t think Caldwell is getting the most out of them. 

Tactics suspect, subs too late and often the wrong choices. I don’t think this manager is up to the task I’m afraid. He’s had nearly a whole year to prove his PowerPoint slides and Player Dossiers were evidence of his ability. He’s failed in all respects - and we need to let him go.

Id rather have Jack Ross, Stephen Craigan or Danny Lennon right now.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Senior players usually have a say in a dressing room , acting as a buffer between the players and the manager to implement his ideas .

If he hasn’t got the senior players on board the chances are  the manager loses the dressing room and players don’t want to play for him anymore .

This is exactly what goes on in dressing rooms & training up & down the country - junior players should shut the **** up and listen whilst senior players are entrusted by management to act as go between and have the latutude/trust go as far as bollocking the players on their behalf. 

He's gave the players out the white envelopes before summer & asked for their input - genie's out the bottle now so he can't gave it both ways - it does indeed sound like he's lost it & behaving like crap supply teacher in doling out puerile punishment to O 'Ware. 

Shoogly peg, maybe. 

4 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

This is exactly what goes on in dressing rooms & training up & down the country - junior players should shut the **** up and listen whilst senior players are entrusted by management to act as go between and have the latutude/trust go as far as bollocking the players on their behalf. 

He's gave the players out the white envelopes before summer & asked for their input - genie's out the bottle now so he can't gave it both ways - it does indeed sound like he's lost it & behaving like crap supply teacher in doling out puerile punishment to O 'Ware. 

Shoogly peg, maybe. 

Envelope-gate was hugely embarrassing to us. Shoogly Peg time 

16 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Barney

No one seems to have answered you (perhaps too busy fighting other battles). Purely off the top of my head, here are my memories of relatively recent multi-dismissals. I am sure that there are more:

1) Late 1990s-Arbroath v Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup. Dave Kennedy, Des McKeown and Jamie McKenzie all red carded but the 10 men hold on to win 2-1.

2) 2001-Partick Thistle v Queen of South the week after we had clinched promotion at Stirling. Steven Docherty dismissed for handball in the first half and then Martin Hardie and somebody else (cannot remember who) in quick succession in the second half. Cassidy was the referee. We lost, but were not hammered (0-1 or 0-2?).

3) Mid 2000s-Airdrie v Partick Thistle. Grant Murray and Andy Wilkinson sent off within a few minutes of each other. I think Juan Ramon Escalas scored when we only had 9 men, but we ended up losing 2-4.

More recently away at Tannadice, Conrad Balatoni and ...er... Stuart Bannigan

Here's a list of all known 1st team matches with 2 or more sendings off...

1977-78 CELTIC H 0 4 McADAM   HOUSTON
1983-84 GREENOCK MORTON  A 2 1 McDONALD   JARDINE
1983-84 CLYDE H 1 2 KAY   JARDINE
1995-96 RANGERS H 1 2 McDONALD (ROD)   MacDONALD (BILLY)
1996-97 FALKIRK A 0 1 EVANS    TURNER
1997-98 STIRLING ALBION A 2 2 MacDONALD  (BILLY)    MILNE
1998-99 ARBROATH A 2 1 McKEOWN    McKENZIE   KENNEDY
2000-01 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH H 0 2 DOCHERTY   McNALLY   HARDIE
2004-05 AIRDRIE UNITED A 2 4 MURRAY (GRANT)   WILKINSON
2011-12 BERWICK RANGERS H 1 3 PATON   BALATONI
2013-14 DUNDEE UNITED A 1 4 BALATONI   BANNIGAN
2019-20 AYR UNTED H 2 3 GORDON   BANNIGAN
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Cheers AF - and thanks as well to PTD for his response.

The Rangers one still rankles given that the referee, Alan Ferguson, pretty much admitted after the game that he had not applied the rules properly.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Barney

1) Late 1990s-Arbroath v Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup. Dave Kennedy, Des McKeown and Jamie McKenzie all red carded but the 10 men hold on to win 2-1.

No wonder they were sent off if we started with 13 players lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

The Rangers one still rankles given that the referee, Alan Ferguson, pretty much admitted after the game that he had not applied the rules properly.

Barney, my recollection was the ref was Jim McGillivray, an Edinburgh taxi driver to trade? 

My wife and I returned to Waverley station after a weekend in London not long after this game and we let the couple behind us in the queue take his taxi when we saw he was the driver.  After the game I remember he said something along the lines of preventing a riot by not sending Paul Gascoigne off for fighting with Tom Smith.  No such reluctance to send our boys off though.  I think he did the decent thing and retired from reffing shortly afterwards.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Aye McDonald was booked for crossing himself then got another yellow later in the game to be sent off. 

1 minute ago, Mr Bunny said:

Aye McDonald was booked for crossing himself then got another yellow later in the game to be sent off. 

Wasn't it the other way round? I could be wrong with that though.

What I am not wrong about is that Borna Barisic blessed himself twice when coming off injured against Legia the other night.

Thank **** the Scottish football authorities have moved on since 1995 and now have a grip on member clubs' supporters bigoted songs and behaviour.

Oh wait............

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I could have added that Steve Pittman was given 3 red cards for foul and abusive language towards the ref at the end of the PT v Rangers game on 3/2/1996 mentioned above.  He got an 8-match ban.  He wasn't even a sub for that match!

McDonald was booked at h-t because Rangers fans had complained to the police that they had seen him bless himself either when he scored (35 mins) or when walking off at h-t.  The police had taken no further action but the ref did and booked him.  Later in the match MacDonald slid in to tackle Brown (who saw it coming).  No contact was made but the ref booked him and off he went.  That's why there was total confusion at the time.  No-one knew he had already been booked.  The press reported that the ref admitted he had not given Gascoigne a second yellow (for any number of incidents elbowing off players) because he feared it would cause crowd trouble.

2 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

I could have added that Steve Pittman was given 3 red cards for foul and abusive language towards the ref at the end of the PT v Rangers game on 3/2/1996 mentioned above.  He got an 8-match ban.  He wasn't even a sub for that match!

McDonald was booked at h-t because Rangers fans had complained to the police that they had seen him bless himself either when he scored (35 mins) or when walking off at h-t.  The police had taken no further action but the ref did and booked him.  Later in the match MacDonald slid in to tackle Brown (who saw it coming).  No contact was made but the ref booked him and off he went.  That's why there was total confusion at the time.  No-one knew he had already been booked.  The press reported that the ref admitted he had not given Gascoigne a second yellow (for any number of incidents elbowing off players) because he feared it would cause crowd trouble.

Also remember that Ferguson refused to card Gascoigne for celebrating off the field at the City end for one of the goals.

He admitted words to the effect that 'it would have been inappropriate to card a player after such an exceptional goal.'

Which made Caldwell look like the utter clown he is for asking in the first place.

'I'm asking  you players to tell me who should be in the team, but in order to maintain the veneer of authority,  I am going to pay absolutely no attention to your responses.'

Even that was a plagiarism on someone else's equally pathetic attempt to play mind games.

I'll see your six words raise you  fourteen  - bottom of the league with 1 point, 6 goals shipped in 2 games to mid table no hopers.

Fortunately, it's only a matter of time now ...

Edited by Semi Nurainen
espit d'escalier

5 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Which made Caldwell look like the utter clown he is for asking in the first place.

'I'm asking  you players to tell me who should be in the team, but in order to maintain the veneer of authority,  I am going to pay absolutely no attention to your responses.'

Even that was a plagiarism on someone else's equally pathetic attempt to play mind games.

I'll see your six words raise you  fourteen  - bottom of the league with 1 point, 6 goals shipped in 2 games to mid table no hopers.

Fortunately, it's only a matter of time now ...

I don’t want to be pedantic, but for football managers, even Pep or Klop, it is always only a matter of time

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don’t want to be pedantic, but for football managers, even Pep or Klop, it is always only a matter of time

Pretty sure Pep and Klopp will decide themselves when they’ll leave , Caldwell won’t be given that luxury and nor should he be , he should be judged on success and improvement , he’s achieved neither .

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

That's brilliant, AFK. The Dundee United game came back to mind fairly quickly, but I had completely forgotten how we totally lost the plot against Berwick Rangers, as the hero of Ibrox Damon Gray returned to haunt us.

5 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Wilkinson??