vs. Ayr United, Aug 31

Jaggernaut

I had the pleasure of hearing SAF speak at an event a couple of years ago.

I got the sense he gave the players a lot of personal freedom through some of his stories, but they all knew where they stood.

The thing I remember most though was him telling a story that on his first day at Man United, he went round and met all the staff as he wanted to know everyone's name so each day he could joke with them or say good morning to them. that way they were all pulling the same way, they were a team on and off the park, single mindedly pursuing improving MUFC. 

That story showed that he knew how to treat people to get the best out of them. To mention Caldwell after a succession of relegations, sackings, and disputes with players in the same context as SAF is remarkable.

7 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Here's a list of all known 1st team matches with 2 or more sendings off...

1977-78 CELTIC H 0 4 McADAM   HOUSTON
1983-84 GREENOCK MORTON  A 2 1 McDONALD   JARDINE
1983-84 CLYDE H 1 2 KAY   JARDINE
1995-96 RANGERS H 1 2 McDONALD (ROD)   MacDONALD (BILLY)
1996-97 FALKIRK A 0 1 EVANS    TURNER
1997-98 STIRLING ALBION A 2 2 MacDONALD  (BILLY)    MILNE
1998-99 ARBROATH A 2 1 McKEOWN    McKENZIE   KENNEDY
2000-01 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH H 0 2 DOCHERTY   McNALLY   HARDIE
2004-05 AIRDRIE UNITED A 2 4 MURRAY (GRANT)   WILKINSON
2011-12 BERWICK RANGERS H 1 3 PATON   BALATONI
2013-14 DUNDEE UNITED A 1 4 BALATONI   BANNIGAN
2019-20 AYR UNTED H 2 3 GORDON   BANNIGAN

Nice work. Brings back some memories.

I remember the kay jardine double sending off. I don't have anything to back it up but I'm sure Louis Thow was the referee that day. An absolute joke of a referee and regular hate figure for jags fans.

Spoke to Alan Kay the following week.  He thought Thow had had some sort of mental breakdown and nobody knew what the reds were for.  I think they were late in the game.

Don't remember too much about the game and how the scoring went just remember being angry and frustrated. 

Feelings Ive experienced a lot leaving Firhill over the years :-)

8 minutes ago, jaf said:

I had the pleasure of hearing SAF speak at an event a couple of years ago.

I got the sense he gave the players a lot of personal freedom through some of his stories, but they all knew where they stood.

The thing I remember most though was him telling a story that on his first day at Man United, he went round and met all the staff as he wanted to know everyone's name so each day he could joke with them or say good morning to them. that way they were all pulling the same way, they were a team on and off the park, single mindedly pursuing improving MUFC. 

That story showed that he knew how to treat people to get the best out of them. To mention Caldwell after a succession of relegations, sackings, and disputes with players in the same context as SAF is remarkable.

To say you have missed the point would probably not register with you .... I have met him personally on a number of occasions and any player going up to him to suggest who should be in the team actually they just wouldn’t do it 

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

To say you have missed the point would probably not register with you .... I have met him personally on a number of occasions and any player going up to him to suggest who should be in the team actually they just wouldn’t do it 

No, that registers. Perhaps we even agree

That is because of the way he treated people.  Everyone, not just his players.

If you went against him, spoke back to him, you were speaking back against a whole club, and who would be on your side?! I venture GC has not created that culture.

Edited by jaf

2 minutes ago, jaf said:

No, that registers. Perhaps we even agree

That is because of the way he treated people.  Everyone, not just his players.

If you went against him, spoke back to him, you were speaking back against a whole club, and who would be on your side?! I venture GC has not created that culture.

I have no idea how Caldwell treats people so I can’t comment 

8 hours ago, javeajag said:

I have no idea how Caldwell treats people so I can’t comment 

Haven’t you watched him, can’t you see what happened with Dools & Erskine? 

You claim to be so insightful about all things Thistle yet you turn a blind eye when it comes to GC. 

I don't know what's happening, but it just didn't look or feel like a team that was together, 

I heard the manager saying it's in progress but the season's off and running now and it's so tight it can just run away from you.

Partick Thistle can't afford another season like that, where it runs away from them so quickly.

They need to pick up points fast because otherwise you get caught at the bottom and end up playing in a mini-league, which isn't great.

A club of their size certainly don't deserve to be lingering a the bottom of the league.

It's up to them to try and turn things around, whether they can or not I just don't know.

Above are direct quotes* from Kris Doolan.

*source footballscotland.co.uk . I've no knowledge about this online paper but imagine direct quotes will be accurate.

53 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

What most of us already think, LIB.

Is there a single person on this forum who honestly believes that Caldwell will bring us promotion (which is what he was employed to do)?

I very much doubt it. Do we wait for Chesterfield levels of disaster or twist now. Least likely option is he turns it around. Utferly soul destroying watching this shambles. I dont care about his personality but do care he is one rotten manager. Tactically inept .demotivating.And utterly clueless. 

I'm concerned about the quality of players that we have. A lot of people saying that we should be doing better, but with exceptions of Banzo, Fox and Miller (and all three are compromised by age, form or fitness), do we really have anyone in our team who is proven at a better level than this?

Very unconvinced at the team he has pulled together.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, allyo said:

I'm concerned about the quality of players that we have. A lot of people saying that we should be doing better, but with exceptions of Banzo, Fox and Miller (and all three are compromised by age, form or fitness), do we really have anyone in our team who is proven at a better level than this?

You're omitting Cardle, Harkins and Saunders but to be honest I think that rather strengthens your argument.

In fairness to Caldwell his recruitment of players hasn't really been a big problem and he's had more good than bad. I can only really think of Ally Roy as being a distance from the required standard. In my mind the jury is still out on Harkins, Mansell and Jones.

Caldwell's problems are in his team selections, tactics and ability to get players to play his way. His team formations have got better this year with a move away from 3 at the back but he still hasn't figured out the formation of the midfield and forwards.

I don't remember the last time we played the same team and formation twice in a row. I don't think we've done it this season and we will clearly have to change again for the next game due to 2 suspensions so how do you build up a pattern of play or style with no settled selection?

Tactically he seems a bit all over the place. Sometimes trying to be too clever (passing in the box to central defenders) and sometime too slow to change (Morton, Ayr). Sometimes we play with wingers and sometime we're very narrow. If I was player I'd be confused.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

That, in itself, is not necessarily a problem though. I think this is probably more true of our last championship winning side.

17 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That, in itself, is not necessarily a problem though. I think this is probably more true of our last championship winning side.

It isn't a problem. You don't need a reputation to be an effective footballer.

However my point is that people are saying that with THESE PLAYERS we should be doing better, and all I'm saying is that there is very little in these players' reputations to suggest that this is necessarily the case.

3 minutes ago, allyo said:

It isn't a problem. You don't need a reputation to be an effective footballer.

However my point is that people are saying that with THESE PLAYERS we should be doing better, and all I'm saying is that there is very little in these players' reputations to suggest that this is necessarily the case.

Possibly. However the livvy team that got promoted twice was chock full of players with no reputation whatsoever....

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

What most of us already think, LIB.

Is there a single person on this forum who honestly believes that Caldwell will bring us promotion (which is what he was employed to do)?

I wonder .... just a thought I had this morning .... take this squad of players we have and put someone like John Hughes in as manager. My guess is we would paly simpler more effective formations, we would play better and we would win more games. We would not have the 'clashes of personality' that seem to be breaking out amongst senior players and the present manager. 

Regarding your question … GC will not bring us promotion IMO.