vs. Ayr United, Aug 31

Jaggernaut

17 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Possibly. However the livvy team that got promoted twice was chock full of players with no reputation whatsoever....

Again though (with respect), missing the point.

I have no problem with a bunch of nobodies playing for us if they are a winning team. There are plenty examples of that, and it's great.

My point is that people are suggesting that the players we have assembled are better than their position. But on what basis? On paper, is our team any better than the other teams in our league? (on grass they're currently worse)

1 hour ago, laukat said:

In fairness to Caldwell his recruitment of players hasn't really been a big problem and he's had more good than bad. I can only really think of Ally Roy as being a distance from the required standard. In my mind the jury is still out on Harkins, Mansell and Jones.

Caldwell's problems are in his team selections, tactics and ability to get players to play his way. His team formations have got better this year with a move away from 3 at the back but he still hasn't figured out the formation of the midfield and forwards.

I don't remember the last time we played the same team and formation twice in a row. I don't think we've done it this season and we will clearly have to change again for the next game due to 2 suspensions so how do you build up a pattern of play or style with no settled selection?

Tactically he seems a bit all over the place. Sometimes trying to be too clever (passing in the box to central defenders) and sometime too slow to change (Morton, Ayr). Sometimes we play with wingers and sometime we're very narrow. If I was player I'd be confused.

Says it all for me.

Though my personal jury is very very out on Mansell and Hall (and Harkins but only because of age).

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Above are direct quotes* from Kris Doolan.

*source footballscotland.co.uk . I've no knowledge about this online paper but imagine direct quotes will be accurate.

It’s on a podcast which I’ve just listened to , not like Dools to be so candid .

6 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Just watched highlights and to be honest Gordon's challenge was worse than I thought at the game. Still think it was a yellow but he did give the ref a decision to make.  We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. It's been happening all season. 

Red for me but we're all different I suppose. Thought at least yellow at time. After watching on highlights, red seemed right. Watch the movement of the ball. Reckless from Gordon.  Had to laugh at 2 old goons in family section arguing over the dismissal. One of them declaring, 'I've played at this level. I know when a guy is injured' As if it shouldn't be a red if the guy doesny hobble off and be sidelined for 2 months. Total fud.

Don't take this as a blame Caldwell at all costs as the two players were obviously at fault and not him. Just he was quite explicit at the Meet the Manager thingy about the way Dundee United players waltzed past our midfielders the night before. Expressed the opinion that if we can't get a clean tackle in we should be fouling players, taking a booking for the team etc. In short breaking up play, stopping momentum and thus protecting our goal lead.

It's reasonable then to assume that after throwing a two goal lead at Cappielow, Caldwell would be even more vehement about bringing that into our play. Possibly he even highlighted that a team that's just scored is at its most vulnerable. No way an excuse for Banzo, tho' we all know his main weakness is not being a consistent clean tackler. Not really an excuse for Gordon either but just perhaps mitigating circumstances. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't take this as a blame Caldwell at all costs as the two players were obviously at fault and not him. Just he was quite explicit at the Meet the Manager thingy about the way Dundee United players waltzed past our midfielders the night before. Expressed the opinion that if we can't get a clean tackle in we should be fouling players, taking a booking for the team etc. In short breaking up play, stopping momentum and thus protecting our goal lead.

It's reasonable then to assume that after throwing a two goal lead at Cappielow, Caldwell would be even more vehement about bringing that into our play. Possibly he even highlighted that a team that's just scored is at its most vulnerable. No way an excuse for Banzo, tho' we all know his main weakness is not being a consistent clean tackler. Not really an excuse for Gordon either but just perhaps mitigating circumstances. 

AKA a clugger or thug?

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Can't agree. Both Ayr players were going nowhere and there was really no need for either challenge.  Just 2 brain dead attempts at a tackle in my opinion. Personally I think we'll be better with Bannigan out the team.

Edited by The Legend Blows