vs. Ayr United, Aug 31

Jaggernaut

I took in the Glasgow Cup game on Wednesday, uninspiring performance against Rangers Colts however it was an opportunity to give game time to O'Ware and Ben Hall.

Looking forward to tomorrows game, Caldwell has some big calls to make.

Sneddon had several good saves on Wednesday and for me needs to go in ahead of Fox.

Big taking point for me is defence, Ben Hall looks a player albeit against a young Rangers team, so for me goes straight in,  McGinty should be first on the team sheet for me for his performance's so far this season, O'Ware is getting back to full fitness,  Saunders steady performer.

Bannigan came on for the last 20 mins and Wednesday and made all the difference, energy, aggression and passion, great to see.

Upfront, Jones for me is either not match fit or just not good enough, Mansell is an impact Sub or tactical starter to rough up defenders. De Vita to me has shown nothing so far.

My team for tomorrow:

Sneddon,

Prenrice, Hall, O'Ware, McGinty, Williamson,

Bannigan, Palmer, Cardle,

Miller, Zanatta  

Lets get behind the team, we need the 3 points

• Like 2

Sneddon

Williamson Saunders  Mcginty  Robson                                     

Oware

Banzo         Penrice 

Zanatta                                                        Cardle

Miller

I'd quite like to see this.

49 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Sneddon

Williamson Saunders  Mcginty  Robson                                     

Oware

Banzo         Penrice 

Zanatta                                                        Cardle

Miller

I'd quite like to see this.

I like the shape of that but do you see Robson as a capable left back? Keep Penrice there. Besides he's been the only player to have played well throughout the last three games. Palmer in and Robson on the bench perhaps? Obviously Tam as defensive mid is a gamble but I think it could be worth it and preferable to reverting to a back three at Firhill.

• Haha 1

Funny how the second half pain from the Morton game has diminished and I find myself looking forward to the game tomorrow. A couple of new players and a return for Kris Doolan. 

Interesting to see if we stick with the 4-3-3 or bring an extra body into midfield or revert to a 3-5-2.

I’m finding it hard to predict a team as nobodies place is safe after last week. Like the Yinited game the subs made zero impact too. 

Hopefully we can send Jobbie McCall up to Ashton Lane with his tail between his legs...:hypocrite:

50 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe the authorities will force us to close a section of Firhill. What's that you say? Aye, we're a few steps ahead of them with that.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/appeal-to-refrain-from-unacceptable-behaviour/

I'm a republican atheist, so I've absolutely no problem with the sentiment expressed in the song, but can we just stop singing it, eh?

It's being misrepresented as being sectarian, when clearly it's a rejection of everything the ugly sisters hold dear, but it's just too easy to get away with that - you can hardly include a verse saying, "We're just being ironic here, we're not sectarian, honest..."

The song doesn't offend me at all, but what if you're a practising Catholic? Or (I suspect this is more of a stretch) a devout royalist? We can hardly claim the moral high ground from the old firm if our fans are singing a song that could upset Catholics AND royalists.

And the argument that 'Rangers and Celtic fans have been getting away with it for years' belongs in the school playground. We need to take responsibility for our own behavior.

And (final point) do we really need to be risking a punishment from the authorities at this stage?

Edited by Firhillista
  • Like 1

The irony here is that the song in question is a rejection of sectarianism and a stance on separating ourselves from all that is wrong in a divisive West of Scotland. One of the reasons I started bringing my kids to Firhill was to get away from such bile. I'd be interested in understanding what the reporter on matches was putting in his/her report on the offence being taken. If it is the use of the Q or P words then he/she must have been apoplectic when they saw the Polish banner at Ibrox. If it is the use of the F word then we're as well emptying stadiums. If they dealt with the crux of the sectarian problem in Scottish football then side issues like songs at Firhill would no longer have a reason to exist. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arete said:

The irony here is that the song in question is a rejection of sectarianism and a stance on separating ourselves from all that is wrong in a divisive West of Scotland. One of the reasons I started bringing my kids to Firhill was to get away from such bile. I'd be interested in understanding what the reporter on matches was putting in his/her report on the offence being taken. If it is the use of the Q or P words then he/she must have been apoplectic when they saw the Polish banner at Ibrox. If it is the use of the F word then we're as well emptying stadiums. If they dealt with the crux of the sectarian problem in Scottish football then side issues like songs at Firhill would no longer have a reason to exist. 

I agree entirely: if memory serves this song was actually tested in a  Court of law and the Sheriff ruled that the song in fact was actually parody and note sectarian.

If I’m wrong I’ll apologise to Gerry, but he of all people at Firhill  I’d expect to be au-fait with all things legal?

Worse it shows a capitulation to the very people responsible for the propagation and spreading of the cancer that is sectarianism. 

If I could see one learned opinion sorry Gerry from a QC that ruled this song was sectarian I might be prepared to consider that it’s use be discontinued.

In its absence I will continue to consider it ‘much ado about nothing’.

• Like 2

I understand the irony in the "Hello" song, but it is difficult to justify words of hatred, aggression and sectarian stereotyping. So no great loss to the songbook, and as AJ has said we have a remarkable number of good songs that are imaginative and that positively support the team and/or its players, so we are hardly restricted in our choices. 

While the "Hello" song has never greatly bothered me (I just don't sing it), it really is way beyond time that "Mary" was laid to rest. Whatever place it may have had in some other era when dinosaurs roamed the earth, there is not even a hint of irony to provide any justification. It is simply misogynistic, abusive and downright embarrassing.  Just cannot believe the fathers who stand beside their daughters and belt out this rubbish. My own daughter in her twenties and Thistle to the core of her being (and certainly no snowflake) finds it disgusting (and also totally cringeworthy when she brings friends to the games).  One of the few points of encouragement at the Morton game was that an attempt to sing it petered out, so hopefully that is one that can soon be consigned to the scrapheap of history.

Maybe I do not listen well enough to other teams' supporters' songs, but their repertoires seem to be fairly limited. In contrast, we have a vast and growing pantheon. After a slow start, I have now just about mastered the "Alex Jones" song, so hopefully he will reward me with a hat trick against Ayr later today!