Dario Zanatta signs

2 hours ago, Big Col said:

And the goal machine Ade Azeez.......

Despite the lack of goals, I consider Ade a success. He played in every game up to the split in our best season in decades and ran defences ragged, creating opportunities for our better finishers. And we made a small profit on him. Not that it made up for his absence- while a lot is said correctly about how we missed Lindsay- I also suspect having Ade would have given us just enough to stay up. Our entire game seemed to slow down when he left.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 4

On 8/28/2019 at 12:47 AM, Third Lanark said:

In the strikers department GC has not done too bad - true Roy was very poor and mansell and jones don’t look like they are great strikers- but McDonald, Miller And zanatta are all decent signings- the previous managers only decent striker signing was Lyle Taylor. Can’t count Kris Doolan as that was McCalls signing

GC got lucky with Skippy, Archie tried to sign him last summer. Zanatta looks decent.

Still, when GC takes us up and keeps us in the top flight for several seasons, we can start comparing him to Archie.

20 hours ago, sandy said:

GC got lucky with Skippy, Archie tried to sign him last summer. Zanatta looks decent.

Still, when GC takes us up and keeps us in the top flight for several seasons, we can start comparing him to Archie.

Not so much lucky more he had a good relationship with skippy and persuaded him to sign with us - more to it than just luck.  Shows McDonald had no interest in playing under Archie.  Besides if it was down to luck then Archie had his fair share of it when he inherited decent players like Doolan, o Donnell, lawless etc

besides I cannot see GC being here for 5 years no surprise you make no mention of the catastrophic year and a half left under Archie which financially impacted us and we are still paying him and his assistant off till the end of October.  You don’t actually go to games anyway despite being the most most vocal critic on here so not sure how can comment on many games unless you were glued to all the text updates 

Edited by Third Lanark

9 hours ago, sandy said:

Archie got lucky that during those several years that there was no rangers, hearts and hibs. When they came back we lasted 1 season, with the mighty Hamilton finishing above us in the final doom laden season.

24 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Archie got lucky that during those several years that there was no rangers, hearts and hibs. When they came back we lasted 1 season, with the mighty Hamilton finishing above us in the final doom laden season.

The reason there was no Hearts and Hibs is because Archibald's Thistle finished above them. Yes, Hearts had a points deduction, but that's because they ultimately cheated.

Edited to add that, when we finished 6th, all but Hibs were back anyway. I don't see the point of denigrating a number of successful seasons because of later failures.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 3

On 8/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, Duke Gekantawa said:

Despite the lack of goals, I consider Ade a success. He played in every game up to the split in our best season in decades and ran defences ragged, creating opportunities for our better finishers. And we made a small profit on him. Not that it made up for his absence- while a lot is said correctly about how we missed Lindsay- I also suspect having Ade would have given us just enough to stay up. Our entire game seemed to slow down when he left.

Can’t agree he was a success- loads of energy and plenty of enthusiasm as well as being a genuine guy but he scored a total of 3 goals- Kenny Miller has already scored more than that. His misses had to be seen to be believed and I believe if he had taken them we would have finished 4th not 6th

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Can’t agree he was a success- loads of energy and plenty of enthusiasm as well as being a genuine guy but he scored a total of 3 goals- Kenny Miller has already scored more than that. His misses had to be seen to be believed and I believe if he had taken them we would have finished 4th not 6th

Yes, no doubt that if he had been a competent finisher, we'd have finished higher. However, it's a team game and his input directly led to a top 6 finish. His forward play, other than finishing (i.e., in terms of harassing defences, driving forward, creating space, and holding up the ball -the latter particularly when defending a lead) were excellent. Therefore, I think he was definitely a success. It doesn't matter if you don't actually score the goals provided that your contribution is positive and the team as a whole is performing well.

• Like 1

No doubt Azeez was was infuriating on the goalscoring front. His decision making was also very poor. On the other hand he knackered defences ,creating space for other attackers. Would be very hard to argue he wasn't a success in our most successful season. He played far too many games to say otherwise.

• Like 1