Statement

gianlucatoni

Well the Statement from the club had about as much affect as a chocolate fireguard last night. Even over the Abroath roaring gale FTP and FTQ was given laldy.  Good job nobody really watches BBC Scotland. Maybe no one else in officialdum noticed:head_ball:

Edited by topcat

2 hours ago, topcat said:

Well the Statement from the club had about as much affect as a chocolate fireguard last night. Even over the Abroath roaring gale FTP and FTQ was given laldy.  Good job nobody really watches BBC Scotland. Maybe no one else in officialdum noticed:head_ball:

I heard it too on the telly... 1st half was so bad I had the sound turned down but I did hear it around the 68th minute... did wonder if an updated version might have changed the last 2 lines but not so. Perhaps not everyone is aware of statements on the official site etc. 

Maybe the club should ould get the old Tag + lanyard crew from the Morton game a few years back out of retirement to distribute an officially endorsed club songbook. 

:whistling:

15 minutes ago, Kapiti Jag said:

I wish people would get this right, it's FyourP and FyourQ — it's an anti-sectarian song, it's supposed to shine a light on the bigotry of the arse cheeks while showing that we are different. If we're actually singing FtheP and FtheQ then we deserve whatever punishment is dished out.

Perhaps not the point you're making but can you honestly say that the morons at Hampden that run our game will be capable of distinguishing the difference? 

No way am I being critical of those singing the song. Confuses me to some degree why it was being sung quite so much at Arbroath but there you go.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Perhaps not the point you're making but can you honestly say that the morons at Hampden that run our game will be capable of distinguishing the difference?

Oh they know the difference, but that wouldn't stop them using us as a scapegoat and example rather than go after the real culprits simply because we're an easy target.  We don't need to make it easier for them by actually singing 'the' instead of 'your'.  This song will die out when people individually stop singing it, so it really does come down to supporter choice I suppose—you'll never ban a song by diktat.

8 hours ago, Kapiti Jag said:

I wish people would get this right, it's FyourP and FyourQ — it's an anti-sectarian song, it's supposed to shine a light on the bigotry of the arse cheeks while showing that we are different. If we're actually singing FtheP and FtheQ then we deserve whatever punishment is dished out.

FTP and FTQ was being sung on Friday and previously at Morton.

Just get it binned and rise above, imo!

• Thanks 1

I was brought up as a Catholic and as a boy went to see the Bankies. See,..although no longer a practicing Catholic I've still got to get the odd confession out. At approx 14yo my oldest brother took me to an Old Frm game at Parkhead and it didn't work out the way I think it was intended. On the night, for reasons now faded, I took a liking to Rangers and for the next 4 years, much to the bemusment of family and friends went to see Rangers which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

I went off to London to work at my career and returned in 1990 a wiser head and fell in love with the Jags.

To this day though, the expression FYP/FYQ makes me cringe, as it did way back in those days at Ibrox.

Not because I'm a devout Catholic but because it must be offensive to a good number of our own support and has no place at Firhill.

I agree wholeheartedly with Allyo that the sentiment of the song is lost on most of the Old Firm support. There's some very bright people on this forum, so surely we can come up with an alternative ending to the song.

• Like 1

put you to sleep like Ovaltine

we're Jedi knights from Tattooine

the old firm is an ugly scene

or maybe it is Maybelline

Now would you pass the Germolene

so f*** your flutes, play tambourine *

(* follow with jingle jingle)

Anyway, King doesn't rhyme so realistically the song probably only has a few years left.

Edited by allyo

It's a great song and nobody is really stupid enough to think it's anything but anti-Old Firm and Sectarianism.

Of course, tens of thousands of people will belt out anti-Catholic/pro-IRA songs at Ibrox/Parkhead every week but the Police are clearly never going to bother taking that problem on.

It would be far easier for them to try to make an example of a club with fewer supporters to be seen to be doing something.

Unless prominent figures emerge in the media who are prepared to call out the Old Firm as the focus for sectarian hatred in Scotland then I would continue to sing our song.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, milhouse said:

It's a great song and nobody is really stupid enough to think it's anything but anti-Old Firm and Sectarianism.

Of course, tens of thousands of people will belt out anti-Catholic/pro-IRA songs at Ibrox/Parkhead every week but the Police are clearly never going to bother taking that problem on.

It would be far easier for them to try to make an example of a club with fewer supporters to be seen to be doing something.

Unless prominent figures emerge in the media who are prepared to call out the Old Firm as the focus for sectarian hatred in Scotland then I would continue to sing our song.

You actually say yourself the authorities will never touch the main 2, but would make an example of a smaller club. If for no other reason we should stop singing it for that. I don't think it is a great song either.

2 hours ago, scotty said:

It's not about showing respect for the OF but not attacking the beliefs of people of faith.

This argument is nonsense.  The people who sing the songs that the Old Firm sing are not "people of faith," they are religious bigots.  They have the usual twisted view of religion and faith that goes with this, I doubt even 25% of them are even religious in any way—they just use their songs as hatred.  Our song could, and should, be seen as supporting people of actual faith by pointing out that the Old Firm's version of religion is poisoned, this is fundamentally why it's 'your' and not 'the'.  I have no skin in this game but if we are forced to stop singing this song with its positive connotations so that the Old Firm can keep their vitriolic chants then we have become a true cuddly toy off the field as well as on.  If we do drop it it should at least be recognised for what it is, its real meaning, otherwise we'll just go down in the books as the wee sectarian club who was forced to stop singing a song; after all history is written by the victors and that certainly won't be us… as usual.

I get that it isn't meant badly...

But are you really saying that "f*** your Pope" should not be offensive to a practicing Catholic, because it's "your" and not "the"?  Don't really care if the song is offensive to bigoted old firm fans. I'm far more concerned if it is offensive to people with faith. Or even these kinda weird people who love the royal family and have tea sets and shit.

I just don't think it washes. And as I say, I totally get that the intention is not to be offensive. But when you break it down, it actually is.

7 hours ago, douglas clark said:

It is quite noticeable that, when it is sung,  the volume around the word ' Pope' and the volume around 'Queen' are around 50% less  than of the surrounding  volume of the piece. It suggests to me that folk see the overall point, but - probably rightly - have no truck with extremism.

Or maybe they get caught up in the singing and tail off when they realise what they are about to sing. Better not to start it at all.

Edited by scotty
spelling
  • Like 1