Statement

gianlucatoni

Friday 30th August, 2019 at 2:57pm

Partick Thistle is a family club and aim to ensure that everyone experiences a friendly and safe atmosphere at our games. We are aware that a minority of our supporters are singing a song that is deemed to be unacceptable by the footballing authorities. This behaviour has been included in recent SPFL Match Delegate’s Reports and continuation of this conduct may lead to the Club being punished.

Consequently, we appeal for this type of singing and chanting to stop and request that supporters refrain from engaging in any form of behaviour that is unacceptable, disrespectful and which others may find offensive.

Partick Thistle is extremely proud of our support and don’t want anything to damage our reputation.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

What song they talking about? Is it Mary fae Maryhill? 

Just now, gianlucatoni said:

I see - another failure to appreciate the context of our position in the city. 

Easier to hammer us after collectively sitting on their hands for 100+ years of the twin cheeks and their filth. 

FTSFA

The 'context' of singing '**** the Pope' or '**** the Queen' in Glasgow isn't that you gain the moral high ground over the old firm, it's that you're brought right down into the filth with them.

Gonnae no' dae that?

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

The 'context' of singing '**** the Pope' or '**** the Queen' in Glasgow isn't that you gain the moral high ground over the old firm, it's that you're brought right down into the filth with them.

Gonnae no' dae that?

Couldn't agree more. We have plenty of other songs to sing. Leave the sectarianism to the teams that appreciate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Aye. It's not ironic, it's double bigotry!

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Couldn't agree more. We have plenty of other songs to sing. Leave the sectarianism to the teams that appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Gonnae no' dae that?

Jings - this former shed boy well & truly telt gents - times a changing and aw that. 

4 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

Jings - this former shed boy well & truly telt gents - times a changing and aw that. 

Good point.

‘The old road is rapidly changing.Please set out a new one if you can’t lend a hand’

Sir Bob was right. After all these years, perhaps the times are changing for the better.

DO NOT sing that song, it is not smart.

1 hour ago, Sinistar said:

Looking forward to the SPFL Match Delegate’s Report after the match on Sunday when the party songs have been aired in full as they are at every game in the SPFL when UEFA aren't looking and the Scottish football authorities say and do nothing.

Easy way to sort it , take points off them and then it’ll soon stop.

Over to you Maxie

• Like 1

Hello hello how do you do? Times have maybe changed but in truth our song is not rooted in bigotry. The arse cheeks get a free pass every week when they are both up to their knees in bigotry. That bein said we are n should always be a family club so fair enough. The shed was the biggest blow.

I fully understand how the song should be interpreted as totally ironic. Anything that brackets the similarity between both of the ugly sisters as opposed to how they mistakenly think they're polar opposites is fine with me. What I don't understand is why the song should surface when we're playing Morton, Ross County or for that matter every other club outside of the OF.

Gotta say I'm not a singer (at football games anyway) so I'm about the least qualified to opine.  Certainly no way am I judging. One thing tho' is if the singing of this song is causing concern just now is it not likely to be more to the fore in a few weeks when we play at the San Giro. 

4 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Friday 30th August, 2019 at 2:57pm

Partick Thistle is a family club and aim to ensure that everyone experiences a friendly and safe atmosphere at our games. We are aware that a minority of our supporters are singing a song that is deemed to be unacceptable by the footballing authorities. This behaviour has been included in recent SPFL Match Delegate’s Reports and continuation of this conduct may lead to the Club being punished.

Consequently, we appeal for this type of singing and chanting to stop and request that supporters refrain from engaging in any form of behaviour that is unacceptable, disrespectful and which others may find offensive.

Partick Thistle is extremely proud of our support and don’t want anything to damage our reputation.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

What song they talking about? Is it Mary fae Maryhill? 

;) Sorry I’ve run out of likes.

We all know the two main culprits will never be punished by the Scottish authorities. But if said authorities can punish a smaller team they will do. Then they will say they are doing something to cut it out. It is best we don't give them any excuse to make an example of us. Lets hope we have 3 points to celebrate tomorrow.:fan:

“Dear SPFL,

In light of recent concerns, we will immediately begin urging match attendees to ‘hug the Pope and hug the Queen’ during select Thistle songs where appropriate.

Please know that should the Pope be found guilty of any impropriety, as does occasionally happen with men of the cloth, we already plan to update our songbooks to ‘Chug a Coke and hug the Queen.’

Should the medical community take exception with chugging a Coke due to its obvious impact on childhood obesity, we are prepared to counter with ‘Rub a Bloke and Mug the Queen’, to which we can find no immediate exception.

Sincerely,

The Partick Thistle Song and Chant Trust”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

“Dear SPFL,

In light of recent concerns, we will immediately begin urging match attendees to ‘hug the Pope and hug the Queen’ during select Thistle songs where appropriate.

Please know that should the Pope be found guilty of any impropriety, as does occasionally happen with men of the cloth, we already plan to update our songbooks to ‘Chug a Coke and hug the Queen.’

Should the medical community take exception with chugging a Coke due to its obvious impact on childhood obesity, we are prepared to counter with ‘Rub a Bloke and Mug the Queen’, to which we can find no immediate exception.

Sincerely,

I like this idea. I've sang that song many times but I'll grudgingly admit that in the current times we need to change a little too. Change the words and its sentiment remains....an anti rangers and celtic song. Let's HUG away. 

18 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

“Dear SPFL,

Sincerely,

Ran out of likes. :worship::clapping::fan:. Only one problem anybody with a hearing difficulty could mishear 'chug a coke' and might  think you are saying to chug something else.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

As a Thistle supporter and a protestant I have never sang it, but I dont give a rat's arse about it. You are easily offended.

And this is the reason that the bigotry continues in Scottish football. Fans who don't give a rat's arse for anyone but themselves and their own!

• Like 1