Who Will Replace Caldwell?

Semi Nurainen

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Archie..... No, not a call to bring him back!

But, almost a year since he got sacked, and no sign of him getting back into the game. Anybody think that he'll get another shot somewhere, or did the spectacular repeated failures after the hazy days of the top six -- the absolute tankings we took then, the terrible signings, the naive belief that long-term injured players would magically make us good again, the lack of motivation in the team when it really mattered -- finish him for good as a manager? 

Probably. Think the time was right when Shrewsbury were intersted. A Jags legend. Anyone but GC btw

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You may well be correct but there's plenty of occasions when best pals have taken over as manager. 

Can't think of the scenario where this could come about.  A new manager is appointed with Doolan returning as assistant manager. To qualify that it's head before heart as I honestly believe Kris has a lot to offer off the field even if no longer on the pitch.

Bunter and Doolz would b well worth a shout

10 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I would take Kenny Miller in a flash.

People have pointed to Caldwell (in my view at times) analytical ability and relative (this is footballers we are talking about) articulacy, which I've always said would suit him for a job in the media. Has problem is that he deosnt seem be able to translate this understanding and analysis into action, hence 'at times' - as some of his substitutions (yesterday was one of the most damning examples) prove, also his preference for unfit, not sharp Hall over either Saunders or O'Ware.

What he clearly lacks is any sort of undesrtanding  of players' psychology, as exemplified by some of his pathetic stunts: dugoutgate, SASgate, and envelopegate ( a variation on the equally pathetic mind game that Rogers tried on a Liverpool), every one of these stunts has backfired abysmally. Footballers may not be geniuses, but they're not daft either and can be quite streetwise, they can see through these mind games for what they are.

Caldwell is clearly simply not cut out for management; the sooner he leaves the better for all.

At the Q&A he spoke about the Ground Covered by the Players - he said they were fit enough - but it wasn't clear if they had the will to go the extra distance - bottom line if he cant motivate players to run there arse off there is something wrong - Tacticts - formation skill they are all subjective - covering ground - thats a given - its Running ? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Wont be easy. But a win on Friday would set us up well for a run of league games that are winnable. On the other hand another defeat and it will look like a repeat of the start we had when Caldwell first took us over , when we only managed 1point out of 6 games.

Right, we’re playing Arbroath ffs.

Surely we are going to hump this lot, a team managed by one of our dismal former managers, with a tiny support and budget.

Ive been patient with GC but the moment has arrived. A win is mandatory.

Arbroath won’t get my £20 because of the outrageous kO time and the fact it’s on BBC.

I won’t buy a pie or a programme. I won’t buy any smokies or buy any beer.

How much will the red lichties and the local economy lose because of this farce?

Part-time or not results prove that they are a decent side.  Watched some of their highlights and they will be very difficult to beat on Friday night.

Don't think Caldwell will go unless it's a heavy defeat. However, I am sure the board are already discussing what they will do if they decide to drop the axe! 

I think Caldwell will still be with us regardless of tomorrow night's result. But failure to get 3 points at Arbroath  and the next home game, which is against the Pars, will be a must winner. Could go as far as to say regardless of our result tomorrow night he might well be out the door if we don't beat Dunfermline.

15 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Right, we’re playing Arbroath ffs.

Surely we are going to hump this lot, a team managed by one of our dismal former managers, with a tiny support and budget.

Ive been patient with GC but the moment has arrived. A win is mandatory.

Arbroath won’t get my £20 because of the outrageous kO time and the fact it’s on BBC.

I won’t buy a pie or a programme. I won’t buy any smokies or buy any beer.

How much will the red lichties and the local economy lose because of this farce?

Battle of the dismal managers 

As I've said before, I think Caldwell is a dead man walking. As much as it's impossible to predict how things are going to go at Firhill these days, it seems to me that he needs a significant run of victories to keep his post. We need to win tomorrow AND against Dunfermline just to start that off. And then he needs to keep on winning.

It's not impossible - and it would be brilliant if it happens - but it doesn't seem that likely.

Despite all the mayhem that seems to be happening behind the scenes, I don't think David Beattie is the kind of guy to mess about in a situation like this. He's got no axe to grind here - Caldwell's not his man and replacing him would probably put him in the good books with the fans, in the short term at least.

So, to look on the bright side, either we start winning games and go shooting up the league, or we get a new manager and a fresh start. So all good.

Right?

10 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

As I've said before, I think Caldwell is a dead man walking. As much as it's impossible to predict how things are going to go at Firhill these days, it seems to me that he needs a significant run of victories to keep his post. We need to win tomorrow AND against Dunfermline just to start that off. And then he needs to keep on winning.

It's not impossible - and it would be brilliant if it happens - but it doesn't seem that likely.

Despite all the mayhem that seems to be happening behind the scenes, I don't think David Beattie is the kind of guy to mess about in a situation like this. He's got no axe to grind here - Caldwell's not his man and replacing him would probably put him in the good books with the fans, in the short term at least.

So, to look on the bright side, either we start winning games and go shooting up the league, or we get a new manager and a fresh start. So all good.

Right?

But is he bothered about the fans, or more interested in what the prospective buyers might think. I really doubt that he would want to lumber them with paying off another manager unless it is an absolute last resort for the club (not the fans)

Is this prospective buyout going ahead, though? Despite all that's been said, there's no sign that it's going to happen. And even if it does, it's unlikely to be completed much before Christmas. If the team's lack of success continues, how attractive a prospect are we going to be by then. I don't know the guy and I certainly don't have any insider knowledge, but Beattie has never struck me as the patient type.

I've heard or seen nothing to say that the buyout is not still on and I'm sure that we would have heard about a plan B as I don't believe that Beattie wants this job long term. I actually think that Caldwells job is relatively safe while the takeover is still on the table. That might change if there were mass demonstrations by the fans, but I don't think we have that sort of supporter base. 

Earlier today, someone used the word apathy which kind of sums up the situation.

So how does Caldwell’s contract go can we not just give him notice that his contract is being terminated and tell him when his contract is up he’s gone we have nothing to lose if he downs tools it can’t be worse than the job he’s doing so far and it stops him going home to England putting his feet up and smoking a big cigar and saying cheers thistle 

Team might get a bit of relief that he has no authority and start playing football which is what they were brought in for just a thought but we seem to just pay out contracts I say get him doing what is needed no leaving with a big payday might make him think we are not the soft touch that we have been in the past 

As for the board maybe think on the next time you appoint a manager make it results based not because it sounds like a good appointment Caldwell’s old clubs all warned us what he was like and I think we can all agree they were right time to get rid and find somebody who can get this team playing with a bit of belief this can’t go on board has to make a decision now

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Right?

Caldwell has next to no goodwill in the bank.

Last season was a disaster.

This season so far is a disaster.

He has crassly booted out 2 of the fans biggest favorites in decades.

He has by all accounts had several falling outs with players since he came in (Latest being the O’Ware Banzo situation).

Our gameplay is poor, if we entertained and got beat it would at least be easier on the eye than this turgid game and getting beat.

His statements and summaries in post match interviews are bizarre at best.

I agree I think he needs a minimum of 4 points from next two games to keep himself safe, but until such time as he wins the fans on he’ll only be 2 or 3 games away from massive criticism and pressure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Caldwell has next to no goodwill in the bank.

Last season was a disaster.

This season so far is a disaster.

He has crassly booted out 2 of the fans biggest favorites in decades.

He has by all accounts had several falling outs with players since he came in (Latest being the O’Ware Banzo situation).

Our gameplay is poor, if we entertained and got beat it would at least be easier on the eye than this turgid game and getting beat.

His statements and summaries in post match interviews are bizarre at best.

I agree I think he needs a minimum of 4 points from next two games to keep himself safe, but until such time as he wins the fans on he’ll only be 2 or 3 games away from massive criticism and pressure.

I don’t disagree with most of this but at least we have scored a few goals with some degree of entertainment this season.

In answer to the thread titleAfter a year of complete silence but with only a month left on his contract to be paid off now is it coincidence that Archie has suddenly reappeared and talking about Partick Thistle?  

If the contract payments are finishing then he presumably will be keen to get coaching again and he is clearly very good friends with David Beattie.

he would not be my choice though