Who Will Replace Caldwell?

Semi Nurainen

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Caldwell has next to no goodwill in the bank.

Last season was a disaster.

This season so far is a disaster.

He has crassly booted out 2 of the fans biggest favorites in decades.

He has by all accounts had several falling outs with players since he came in (Latest being the O’Ware Banzo situation).

Our gameplay is poor, if we entertained and got beat it would at least be easier on the eye than this turgid game and getting beat.

His statements and summaries in post match interviews are bizarre at best.

I agree I think he needs a minimum of 4 points from next two games to keep himself safe, but until such time as he wins the fans on he’ll only be 2 or 3 games away from massive criticism and pressure.

This.

4 hours ago, Ancipital said:

Kenny Miller was the next manager from the moment he signed up.

Not sure that’s a good idea at all , to get the apathy out of the Club and to get everyone back onside , it’s got to be  Ian McCall with Dools as his assistant.

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure that’s a good idea at all , to get the apathy out of the Club and to get everyone back onside , it’s got to be  Ian McCall with Dools as his assistant.

The way things are going, behind the scenes at Thistle, there's probably a brighter future for the two of them at Ayr!

• Like 1

The likelihood of Caldwell getting sacked is stronger than the likelihood of us bringing in a new permanent manager within a couple of weeks of the sacking. Kenny Miller will then be in place to be the obvious choice as interim manager. Chances are if results pick up right away then he'd be made permanent manager in due course. That would be on the assumption he doesn't go in the huff re his mate getting the axe and he wants to go back into management. 

Guessing most of the fanbase would prefer we'd go after an experienced manager. The choices tho' will differ widely and there'd be no one overall fans favourite for the job.  We have close to zero funds in a player budget so it's fair to presume we'd have no serious funding to pay off Caldwell AND buy out a present day manager's contract.

With that in the back of my mind I'd say if Caldwell goes Miller will be the strong favourite to be manager till the end of the season and possibly past that that date. 

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Miller would be worth a punt...by and large he does what it says on the side of his tin on the park ,looks like he gives a toss and comes over quite well when being interviewed.

Too far down the line for a punt , it’s got to be the right choice , someone who understands the Club and can move us forward, Kenny Miller is too big a gamble with no real real experience of managing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Miller would be worth a punt...by and large he does what it says on the side of his tin on the park ,looks like he gives a toss and comes over quite well when being interviewed.

I couldn’t agree less. He looks a petulant twat on the park, we see him blame others for his failings and he is regularly arguing with teammates. As a manager I think he’d deliver a changing room beset with fallouts and disharmony, turmoil is not what we need if we are to improve on the park. 

• Like 2

It was time for Archie to go, but caldwell is taking the club backwards at an alarming rate.

Archie failed in the premier league and got off to a bad start in the championship.  

Caldwell has failed in the championship. 

After 1 year i think we have all seen enough. We have a top 4 squad and a bottom of the league manager.

1 hour ago, erty13 said:

It was time for Archie to go, but caldwell is taking the club backwards at an alarming rate.

Archie failed in the premier league and got off to a bad start in the championship.  

After 1 year i think we have all seen enough. We have a top 4 squad and a bottom of the league manager.

This sums it up. The apathy is reminiscent of the latter days of McCall and Archibald's days in charge (without any credit in the bank).

He sounds close to the brink listening to last night's post match interview. 

Time for the board to act irrespective of any takeover agreements. 

We could well beat an equally insipid Dunfermline side next week's but that would be papering over the gaping fissures, imo.

20 minutes here or 45 minutes there of a half decent performance won't cut it in this league.

Time to go Gary!

On 9/12/2019 at 7:53 PM, Norgethistle said:

Archie shouldn’t come back for his own career sake. It’s high time for him to show the manager he can (and has been) elsewhere 

I agree with you. He might argue that PTFC is the club he knows inside out and everything about having spent so much time here therefore should be the club he wants to manage again and wouldn’t have an affinity with any other club

1 hour ago, erty13 said:

I think this is spot on.

a new manager would have the luxury of the Celtic game as well - luxury in the sense that there is not the slightest bit of pressure on us to win but give him a decent opportunity to view the squad, try new formations etc and who knows if there is a new manager bounce maybe Even carry out a historical win

Caldwell knows his time is up. If he doesn't he is a bigger loonball that most of think he is !

Who is next ? Who knows?

It depends on the takeover if its not going through Beattie & Co need to act  pretty sharpish if they want a change. If its going through Caldwell will be here to its sorted out as it becomes someone else's problem. 

Miller till Xmas is a good shout but personally we need an experienced hand who has done this before , to stabilise and get a bit of confidence in the players. 

2 hours ago, erty13 said:

Last sentence based on what? I've said previously, there are very few in this squad who have a played a regular game at a higher level than this. Apart from Kenny Miller and Gary Harkins who are nearly as old as me, Stuart Bannigan who is struggling a bit, and Scott Fox, and thank god for him last night.

24 minutes ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Caldwell knows his time is up. If he doesn't he is a bigger loonball that most of think he is !

Who is next ? Who knows?

It depends on the takeover if its not going through Beattie & Co need to act  pretty sharpish if they want a change. If its going through Caldwell will be here to its sorted out as it becomes someone else's problem. 

Miller till Xmas is a good shout but personally we need an experienced hand who has done this before , to stabilise and get a bit of confidence in the players. 

John Hughes for this season.

I think the squad is good enough to compete within the championship and get to top four status. [a new manager would be able to get rid of some of the obvious deadwood GC has brought in, is too embarrassed to admit his mistake, and move those people on]

I honestly don't think GC has the confidence of the players to progress and have any success this year.

Frankly, the way they are playing, success at the moment would be to avoid relegation.

Not an easy decision for the board to make, but if we carry on this season in the same manner as last night, we are facing oblivion as a footballing entity.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Last sentence based on what? I've said previously, there are very few in this squad who have a played a regular game at a higher level than this. Apart from Kenny Miller and Gary Harkins who are nearly as old as me, Stuart Bannigan who is struggling a bit, and Scott Fox, and thank god for him last night.

There's plenty with experience of this level and higher in the squad. McGinty, O'Ware, Williamson, Penrice, Robson, Slater, Cardle and Saunders and Zanatta off the bat straight away.

Apart from Shankland there aren't many players we've faced this season that I'd be clamouring to get signed up from what I've seen this season.

19 minutes ago, jagfox said:

There's plenty with experience of this level and higher in the squad. McGinty, O'Ware, Williamson, Penrice, Robson, Slater, Cardle and Saunders and Zanatta off the bat straight away.

Apart from Shankland there aren't many players we've faced this season that I'd be clamouring to get signed up from what I've seen this season.

Have any of them had a regular start the premier league? Maybe apart from Slater (who's not available anyway)? Not for several years anyway. I'm not seeing a group of players that have any right to expect that this is just a lull and they should be a the higher end.

Was watching last night and thinking, maybe having the pick of the best part time players in the country is a better than model that signing a load of guys who can't make it in the English lower leagues?

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, allyo said:

He has spent top 4 money on the squad, and we are bottom of the league, so he is underachieving as a manager.

• Like 1