Who Will Replace Caldwell?

Semi Nurainen

If we don't have the cash to go and get McCall back and have to go with an ageing striker as player-coach, I'd be keener to give Doolan a go.

His comments after the Ayr game showed he stil cared what happened at Thistle. We have a lack of those sort of people in senior positions at the club.

18 minutes ago, allyo said:

Have any of them had a regular start the premier league? Maybe apart from Slater (who's not available anyway)? Not for several years anyway. I'm not seeing a group of players that have any right to expect that this is just a lull and they should be a the higher end.

Was watching last night and thinking, maybe having the pick of the best part time players in the country is a better than model that signing a load of guys who can't make it in the English lower leagues?

I think the club has relied too much on English lower league players both present and previous manager in particular 

Just now, laukat said:

If we don't have the cash to go and get McCall back and have to go with an ageing striker as player-coach, I'd be keener to give Doolan a go.

His comments after the Ayr game showed he stil cared what happened at Thistle. We have a lack of those sort of people in senior positions at the club.

Doolan would still require a fee being contracted to Ayr.  He would of course give his all but not convinced as someone without managerial experience he should be the manager.  Assistant maybe but not manager 

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Miller has failings, but I feel we need him concentrating on playing at the moment. He is scoring goals and if he was player/manager doing two duties could be detrimental to his playing time on the park.

Agree AJ, last thing we want is Miller off the pitch. Is he not our top goal scorer?

56 minutes ago, allyo said:

Have any of them had a regular start the premier league? Maybe apart from Slater (who's not available anyway)? Not for several years anyway. I'm not seeing a group of players that have any right to expect that this is just a lull and they should be a the higher end.

Was watching last night and thinking, maybe having the pick of the best part time players in the country is a better than model that signing a load of guys who can't make it in the English lower leagues?

Nor sure what Premiership experience has to do with it? We're in the Championship.

Also the best placed part-time team in the country failed to beat the worst placed team in their league at home last night...

Last time we went for a part-time squad didn't work out too well. Saved from relegation to the fourth tier on the last game of the season if I remember correctly?

8 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Nor sure what Premiership experience has to do with it? We're in the Championship.

Also the best placed part-time team in the country failed to beat the worst placed team in their league at home last night...

Last time we went for a part-time squad didn't work out too well. Saved from relegation to the fourth tier on the last game of the season if I remember correctly?

You're making up arguments here that I don't have. My original point was that we had very few players who'd played above this level (and we therefore had no divine right to expect success), and you turned it into players who have played at or above this level.

And I'm not suggesting we go part time. I'm just saying the part time teams have a model that works for them, and I'm not convinced that we have a model that works for us.

Caldwell has to go. The uncertainty created with the proposed takeover could make appointing a new permanent manager difficult however. I'd doubt anyone would want to come with the prospect of being punted early doors  if news owners come in. A temporary fix could be Gerry Britton and Scott Alison until the ownership issue is resolved.

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Which means absolutely nothing as we’re bottom of the league with 2 points out of 15

Doolan has scored 3 more goals at this time of the season as he had last year .

Do these stats mean anything?

2 goals against a hapless Berwick Rangers and an (offside) tap-in against Thistle? Not really.

4 hours ago, allyo said:

You're making up arguments here that I don't have. My original point was that we had very few players who'd played above this level (and we therefore had no divine right to expect success), and you turned it into players who have played at or above this level.

And I'm not suggesting we go part time. I'm just saying the part time teams have a model that works for them, and I'm not convinced that we have a model that works for us.

I'm not, I'm stating facts. 

Out of the teams we've played what of their players would you like at Firhill? (I'm not allowing Shankland as that is unlikely to be happening ;)).

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag49 said:

Surely the board have Caldwell on specific and timebound performance management targets, that if not achieved ,would to lead to termination of his contract without compensation ???

I doubt he'd have met many KPIs last season so I'd hazard a guess at no to your question...

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag49 said:

Surely the board have Caldwell on specific and timebound performance management targets, that if not achieved ,would to lead to termination of his contract without compensation ???

I think  when Beattie came back remember reading he had met different people at Firhill and the management team were amongst them. I am sure the article said they had all been given targets. I don't think the current management team would have been set a target of just missing out on relegation.

Just now, jagfox said:

2 goals against a hapless Berwick Rangers and an (offside) tap-in against Thistle? Not really.

If I was Kris Doolan , I would be quite happy sitting at the top of the League rather than playing under Caldwell

Rather than score points against each other , Doolan would have been useful either dovetailing with Miller or coming off the bench , Kenny Miller has done well for us but needs help upfront ( 2 goals in 5 league games is hardly prolific)

Are you really telling me Alex Jones or Lewis Mansell are an improvement?

We lost goalscorers last year in Macdonald , Doolan , Spittal , Erskine and young Aiden , don’t think they’ve been replaced properly and the lack of any goalscoring threat all over the pitch means  we’ll struggle to win games .

It would be a breath of fresh air if the Chief Exec and the board would be open and honest with the the fans, who were there before the current board and will be there long after their departure,about their specific goals for Caldwell and his management team.

Cathro was allegedly great with spreadsheets and analysis but couldn’t motivate a team to win consistently 

Interesting to hear what Chesterfield and Wigan fans think now???

18 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I'm not, I'm stating facts. 

Out of the teams we've played what of their players would you like at Firhill? (I'm not allowing Shankland as that is unlikely to be happening ;)).

Alan Forrest , Paul Mcmullan , Jamie Robson , Mark Reynolds , Calum Butcher would all improve our team IMO