Who Will Replace Caldwell?

Semi Nurainen

Out of the managers in the SPFL there are only a handful who I think would realistically be considered.

McCall (Ayr)

Lennon(Clyde)

Young (East Fife) outside bet

Robertson(Caley) further outside bet

Petrie(Montrose) has turned the around in last couple of years.

McKinnon(Falkirk) wouldn't want him.

Ian Murray( Airdrie) not too sure about him.

Out of work bosses.

Archibald. Highly unlikely, but him and Beattie are close.

Jim McIntyre. No thanks. He'd bring Dodds with him.

Gary Naysmith. Struggled at Queen's.

Alan Stubbs. Please no.

Alex McLeish??? Sorry, just my wee joke.

Of course it could be Kenny Miller ( although apparently he has said he doesn't want it)

But Thistle being Thistle we could just bring in a totally left field character like Mourinho.

As usual with Jags, interesting times ahead.

ETA. Just read an article in the Daily Ranger. (I know) saying, Lennon is favourite with McCall and Duffy in the frame. Beattie has been quoted as saying that if Archibald wants to come back he would take him. And that he should never have been sacked?? Oh dear!

Edited by Garscube Road End

Papers this morning.....

Partick Thistle have placed their former midfielder, Danny Lennon, whose Clyde side sit sixth in Scottish League One after promotion last season, at the top of their wanted list after sacking Gary Caldwell, with Ayr United's Ian McCall and Dumbarton's Jim Duffy also under consideration. (Daily Record)
Ayr United's Ian McCall has emerged as the front runner to replace the sacked Gary Caldwell as Partick Thistle manager ahead of Clyde's Danny Lennon and former Firhill boss Alan Archibald. (Daily Mail, print edition

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

now) saying, Lennon is favourite with McCall and Duffy in the frame. Beattie has been quoted as saying that if Archibald wants to come back he would take him. And that he should never have been sacked?? Oh dear!

Is it not Charnley that is being quoted there?

People who are wanting Archibald back have short memories. Yes, he got us promoted having cracked how to win an away game.

But most recently, he signed duds and numpties and got us relegated and off to a woeful start in the league whilst playing some atrocious “football” that made the eyes bleed. That’s why he was sacked. It wouldn’t be an upgrade on Caldwell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just received the Law Society Journal for September 2019, and turned the pages eagerly to read  an article on page 22 headed "Too much for one person: the GC role today".

The analysis, though couched in David Brent Speak, seems to sum up Gary Caldwell pretty accurately:

"While the vision of GC as partner-guardian and statesman is both compelling and necessary, the current reality for GC is quite different. Crushed under a daily avalanche of role overload, cost pressures, recurring litigation, major deals and periodic crises, and facing many challenges brought on by the twin revolutions, GC has little time to figure out how to build an outstanding football team or move toward an ideal state:unknw::frantic::dancing::wall::white_flag:

PS The only word I have changed is "football" for "legal". GC is apparently a general counsel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Archie struggled the Premier League, but we played some great stuff the year we won the league. The break maybe did the club & him good - perhaps he’d do well? The squad looks decent, maybe he could get them playing?

My preference is McCall, but wouldn’t be against Archie returning.

It was Jackie Mac who started our season with a genuine 4-2-3-1. If anything Archibald shored us up and led us to a double figure league win. 

Would you be adverse to having McNamara back too? 

4 hours ago, Big Col said:

People who are wanting Archibald back have short memories. Yes, he got us promoted having cracked how to win an away game.

But most recently, he signed duds and numpties and got us relegated and off to a woeful start in the league whilst playing some atrocious “football” that made the eyes bleed. That’s why he was sacked. It wouldn’t be an upgrade on Caldwell.

True, but almost every candidate mentioned has at least one dismal failure on their CV, and few can match Archibald’s achievements.

Most St. Mirren fans, while conceding Lennon was treated harshly, don’t remember the brand of football played under him too fondly (and in a pre-playoff era he  finished 11th at least once, maybe twice (Archibald’s lowest top division finish in 5 seasons). He did win a cup, but other than that I don’t see how his record is objectively better than Archibald.

Those who talk about how exciting McNamarra’s team was must only have watched us at home. I recall so many dreadful and utterly tedious away games even in the Championship season (Hamilton, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dumbarton away yielded 1 point and one Thistle goal iirc).

I’d be happy with McCall though. He didn’t achieve what Archibald managed, but inherited a far worse team. He’s also the only one mentioned who’s achieved anything of note in the last couple of years.

So, Archibald or McCall for me, with a preference for the latter if only because he will be less divisive and will probably get more time and leeway from the fans if it doesn’t start going well immediately.

18 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

True, but almost every candidate mentioned has at least one dismal failure on their CV, and few can match Archibald’s achievements.

Most St. Mirren fans, while conceding Lennon was treated harshly, don’t remember the brand of football played under him too fondly (and in a pre-playoff era he  finished 11th at least once, maybe twice (Archibald’s lowest top division finish in 5 seasons). He did win a cup, but other than that I don’t see how his record is objectively better than Archibald.

Those who talk about how exciting McNamarra’s team was must only have watched us at home. I recall so many dreadful and utterly tedious away games even in the Championship season (Hamilton, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dumbarton away yielded 1 point and one Thistle goal iirc).

I’d be happy with McCall though. He didn’t achieve what Archibald managed, but inherited a far worse team. He’s also the only one mentioned who’s achieved anything of note in the last couple of years.

So, Archibald or McCall for me, with a preference for the latter if only because he will be less divisive and will probably get more time and leeway from the fans if it doesn’t start going well immediately.

McCall also had to deal with what was at times a chaotic board.

we nearly went into admin, partly through the money that had been lost through the Campbell and bone fiasco and he pushed for Dundee to give us more money for Harkins and Falkirk for Twaddle which prevented this.

McCall was forced to work on a non existent budget that nearly prevented us from making any signings one season think we only signed Ian Flanagan because billy Allan paid for that player. McCall himself took a wage cut that season as well