Who Will Replace Caldwell?

Semi Nurainen

27 minutes ago, Stephen1876 said:

Come back Gary, all is forgiven! 

Indeed!

"it’s understood the former Huddersfield, Birmingham and Blackpool manager would be very interested in taking over at Firhill and contact has been made while Thistle draw up a shortlist of candidates"      ............   In other words HE'S interested but the headline "holding talks" is of course nonsense!

We need an experienced manager. Someone who has managed full time teams at least to Championship level and preferably in the Premier League.

Someone like that can stabilise things and get this squad playing to their potential which, I believe, is, at the very least, top four of this league.

For me, that rules out Ian Murray, Jim Duffy, Shelley Kerr and some of the wilder suggestions on here. This isn't the time to give a 'hungry young coach' a try: we need someone who knows what they're doing and can get the players behind them.

I get that there's been a lot of emotion created in recent times with the departure of some players and the recent Kris Doolan testimonial, but I really don't think that should be factored in to the choice of the next manager. Alan Archibald shouldn't even be in the running and talk of bringing Doolan back as assistant manager seems premature at best - it might give us all a warm fuzzy feeling initially, but how will we be feeling if it doesn't work out and the team continue to lose games?

So, McCall or Lennon would be great, but can we afford them? After those two, God knows....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

Amidst all this takeover talk any manager with a club already would surely have the brains to ask for a decent contract and a hefty pay off if the new owners dont fancy him.

I think that could be the sticking point in getting a decent manager in, whether the takeover takes place at all .

Could be they’ll go for Archie on a short term contract till they find out out what’s happening.

2 hours ago, MonehJags said:

You are not classing Shelley Kerr as a wild suggestion? Other than that your post is spot on

Shelley Kerr is the wildest suggestion of them all. Not because she's a woman and she'd be the first female manager at this level of professional male football (in the world?), but because she's no experience of managing a full-time team at this level, which puts her in the same category as Darren Young and a few others.

We desperately need a safe pair of hands. (Not Lee Clark.)

Edited by Firhillista

5 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Shelley Kerr us the wildest suggestion of them all. Not because she's a woman and she'd be the first female manager at this level of professional male football (in the world?), but because she's no experience of managing a full-time team at this level, which puts her in the same category as Darren Young and a few others.

Not suggesting that Darren Young is in the same category as Alex Ferguson but he moved up divisions and was successful each time 

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Not suggesting that Darren Young is in the same category as Alex Ferguson but he moved up divisions and was successful each time 

And Young might prove to be just as successful, but do we want to be taking that chance right now?

For every Alex Ferguson (if you can even count beyond the one and only), there are thousands who move up a division and fail.

Given all that's happening at the club right now, someone who's been over the course before seems the minimum requirement. (Not Lee Clark.)

4 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Indeed!

"it’s understood the former Huddersfield, Birmingham and Blackpool manager would be very interested in taking over at Firhill and contact has been made while Thistle draw up a shortlist of candidates"      ............   In other words HE'S interested but the headline "holding talks" is of course nonsense!

'Lowest win ratio for a quarter of a century' with Brum.

'Blackpool won only 3 games from 33' (even worse than Caldo).

Relegation zone with Killie, escaped in the playoffs.

'Four consecutive losses …. saw Bury second bottom' (where are they now?!).

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

McCall's record at Firhill. Obviously some mitigating factors involved and he's thankfully moved on with things.

Screenshot_20190919-193105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb00a54985ec441221660627115166e7.jpg

Would he even want to leave Ayr at the moment? 

As I remember, not spectacular. Gary Harkins in his pomp got us second but in reality we weren't close to St. Johnstone that year.

I can remember plenty of duff performances under McCall, and also plenty of the much-hated 'tippy-tappy' ineffective play...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Shelley Kerr is the wildest suggestion of them all. Not because she's a woman and she'd be the first female manager at this level of professional male football (in the world?), but because she's no experience of managing a full-time team at this level, which puts her in the same category as Darren Young and a few others.

My son had this to and many people like him. Not enough experience but need a job to get experience.  Can,t get a job to get experience because not enough experience.  Viscous circle

That circle and glass ceiling  needs to be broken for that women sometime. Can,t see that we would have anything to lose by giving her a try other than relegation which is just another part of football from which we can rise.  How many so called safe pair of hands fail to and take you down.

I am not saying she is my automatic first choice as I really can,t think of anyone new but I don,t see why she should have any less chance.  Has she applied?  Never heard

3 hours ago, Firhillista said:

And Young might prove to be just as successful, but do we want to be taking that chance right now?

For every Alex Ferguson (if you can even count beyond the one and only), there are thousands who move up a division and fail.

Given all that's happening at the club right now, someone who's been over the course before seems the minimum requirement. (Not Lee Clark.)

Thousands is maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I don’t disagree regarding Ferguson being an exception. Jack Ross seemed to be on a similar trajectory but has stalled a wee bit at Sunderland.

If we are going for someone experienced, it surely can’t just be someone who has managed at this level, but someone who has been successful for more than one season

8 hours ago, milhouse said:

As I remember, not spectacular. Gary Harkins in his pomp got us second but in reality we weren't close to St. Johnstone that year.

I can remember plenty of duff performances under McCall, and also plenty of the much-hated 'tippy-tappy' ineffective play...

At one stage we were one point behind them going into the last few games- oh if only maxwell and tuffey had communicated better in that Clyde game 

4 hours ago, QXBoy said:

After hearing Scott Allison's interview, then should we perform on Saturday, why not him?

I think because as we have seen from Caldwell the ability to talk and analyze and say things is not in itself a predictor of football success .....on a wider point interviews for any job have been shown in numerous studies to be very poor at predicting whether someone will be a success in a job .....so we should look at what they have done , the results they have achieved and speak to lots of people who have worked with them to get a rounded view