Bannigan and O’Ware told to leave?

king of spain

7 minutes ago, Firhill Pie said:

Logically speaking - given we are at the end on a transfer window and perhaps still 2 players short of a full squad, asking 2 players to leave who in my opinion want to play and contribute to a successful Thistle team seems short sighted and will leave us unable to replace the quality lost.  Resulting in 4 players short.

Im not one to bang the “Caldwell out” drum however if this is true and plays out this way it seems “healthier” for the club as a whole to bring someone else in who knows how to work with strong personalities within a dressing room. We have a good squad who seem to fall into losing games from winning positions - in my opinion thats more about tactics and game management than the ability of the players on the park.

will be absolutely gutted if this plays out.

This sums up my feelings entirely. 

Im sitting here thinking what sort of absolute moron decides to bin 2 first team players, one the (former) captain, on the eve of the transfer window closing, purely to preserve his “power” in the dressing room. Only answer I can come up with is one that isn’t strong enough to carry a team with him and when is challenged ships them out, rather than winning them over. That is the sign of a poor manager. 

If true , this has become all too common and we are going to be left with a weaker squad, at the bottom of the table, and much worse off than this time last year. Bye Gary. 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Is O’Ware that good ? Genuine question I’ve on,y seen him a couple of times and he was ok ish

Substantially better than any other centre half at the club and if we actually want our centre halfs to play football rather than head tennis with the opposition he's by far and away our best bet.

He has his flaws but he would get into most teams at the top of this league and arguably the bottom 6 of the premier league.

18 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Is O’Ware that good ? Genuine question I’ve on,y seen him a couple of times and he was ok ish

Brother in  law is a Morton fan. He was surprised we managed to sign him as he thought he could play in a higher league. He will be delighted if he ends up back at Morton.

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

Dry your eyes FFS. You are the biggest bleeding heart on here and P&B. I'm convinced Gary Caldwell wants PTFC to win football matches and I wouldn't care what players he does it with, as long as he does it. Too many players like Bannigan and Erskine picking up easy wages as fan favourites. The only "soul" this club should have is trying to win.

You say it yourself we should be trying to win. Nearly a year as manager and Caldwell is no closer to building a team that looks like winning enough games to be challenging for anything except to stay out the relegation zone. We were warned  by Wigan and Chesterfield fans what to expect and sadly it looks like they were right.

Edited by Auld Jag

Caldwell cant GTF if this happens. 2 players who are proven at this level who you should be building a team around. Everything I hear about Caldwell just continues to make me shake my head and wonder how the hell he got employed by our club. Charlatan of a manager and one that will get us relegated 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Dry your eyes FFS. You are the biggest bleeding heart on here and P&B. I'm convinced Gary Caldwell wants PTFC to win football matches and I wouldn't care what players he does it with, as long as he does it. Too many players like Bannigan and Erskine picking up easy wages as fan favourites. The only "soul" this club should have is trying to win.

Caldwell isn’t doing very much winning right now.

You know who are?

Livingston, where Erskine is now a squad player in a higher league.

And Ayr, where Doolan is now scoring goals. Against us.

I am convinced that Gary Caldwell wants to feather the nest of Gary Caldwell, and that ultimately he doesn’t give a shit if Thistle pick up points along the way as long as he gets to pick up a wage and maybe con someone else with a PowerPoint.

One complete and utter falling out with a respected senior player is unfortunate. Two is a coincidence. Three is a pattern and four or more is he’s the problem.

A rumour I heard was that there was a clear the air meeting after Ayr game with 2 players so this rumour makes sense.  It’s clear banjo has issues with Caldwell the big tam one is strange . I’d heard a few weeks ago that he’d said he wasn’t ready to play in a few games due to injury but could be a lot of rubbish. Caldwell had really talked him up preseason. Got a feeling big tam may never be the same after the injury.    What is clear is that Caldwell is complete marmite to not just fans but players as well. Either this will work or he will go down as one of our worst ever mangers.  This season is bloody bonkers!!

If Bannigan and O'Ware don't want to play for PTFC under Gary Caldwell then what's the point in them staying on beyond the transfer window?

O'Ware has been at PTFC for over a season, has been injured otherwise contributed nothing to the club on the pitch so why will he be a big loss?

Edited by milhouse

11 minutes ago, Junior said:

Caldwell cant GTF if this happens. 2 players who are proven at this level who you should be building a team around. Everything I hear about Caldwell just continues to make me shake my head and wonder how the hell he got employed by our club. Charlatan of a manager and one that will get us relegated 

8 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

You know who are?

I am convinced that Gary Caldwell wants to feather the nest of Gary Caldwell, and that ultimately he doesn’t give a shit if Thistle pick up points along the way as long as he gets to pick up a wage and maybe con someone else with a PowerPoint.

One complete and utter falling out with a respected senior player is unfortunate. Two is a coincidence. Three is a pattern and four or more is he’s the problem.

Ran out of likes. Can Caldwell not see that what he is doing is not not working ?  It looks like we will be the third club he has failed at,by using the same methods each time. I think it is either a change of tactic and attitude or change of career that is required.

Edited by Auld Jag

7 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

You know who are?

That in all honesty is total rubbish .... the best thing for Caldwell’s career is clearly  not to get sacked by us if he does I suspect his managerial career is over ... he may be making wrong decisions in your view but he does want to win football matches 

Caldwell was enthusing about O'Ware's attitude when he out injured. How he was always about the place geeing up the players, in short being very supportive. Future captain?

Bannigan is our most consistent midfield player and I would imagine the player that has the best percentage pass rate. He isn't playing to the level he was prior to his injury but totally comfortable playing in this division. 

Penrice I think has been MotM in his last three games. 

Someone is saying the heart of the Club is the fans not the players. Fair enough, but the heart of the Club most certainly isn't Gary Caldwell, yet it's clearer by the day that we're supposed to buy into that notion.  

31 minutes ago, javeajag said:

That in all honesty is total rubbish .... the best thing for Caldwell’s career is clearly  not to get sacked by us if he does I suspect his managerial career is over ... he may be making wrong decisions in your view but he does want to win football matches 

But has no clue how to win games. Even from 2 up after 70

There is a lot of "surely if.....", "I heard that.....", "anyone can see that....."

We'll find out an awful lot more on Monday.

Some opinions:

A number of players who were out of contract last season (Shea Gordon, Joe Cardle, Lewis Mansell come to mind), signed again. Most fans seemed to be very happy with these signings. These re-signings suggests to me there is not an inherent dressing room issue with Caldwell. Bannigan himself signed in Dec 2018 after his first prolonged period of playing after numerous injuries.

The last time a player scored and ran to the dugout to hug not the manager, but another player, it was Ryan Edwards to Abdul Osman. This time it was Banzo to O'Ware. Both situations suggest to me a closeness between two individual players. That may mean a lack of closeness with the manager, but not necessarily. 

Caldwell is his own man. All the best managers are. Doesn't mean every manager who is his own man is also a good manager.

On Banzo and Tam, I'd be very disappointed if they left as I think it would have a negative short term effect. O'Ware is currently 4th choice (whether or not we agree with it, that seems to be Caldwell's choice). I'd still have Banzo 1st choice, but not in the position he's playing. I've posted elsewhere, centre-mid is our biggest problem - has been since we finished top six. Banzo is unfortunately part of that problem, but I'd like to see him not as the main sitter. In my view, he doesn't quite have the knack of being in the way that an Osman, or Bauben or Osborne had. In my view, Banzo isn't a "10" either, but he was a very good "third" centre-mid, linking, and driving forward.

We've not really seen enough of Tam to know if he's as good as we all hoped. I thought against Alloa, he wasn't the worst of the three, but that was a poor performance all round.

Whatever happens this week, we need wins. Three losses after having been in front in each match is not good.

PS We're actually 1 point ahead of where we were last year - we lost all 4 corresponding fixtures!

Edited by Jaggy Bunnet
hadn't finished!

45 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Caldwell was enthusing about O'Ware's attitude when he out injured. How he was always about the place geeing up the players, in short being very supportive. Future captain?

Bannigan is our most consistent midfield player and I would imagine the player that has the best percentage pass rate. He isn't playing to the level he was prior to his injury but totally comfortable playing in this division. 

Penrice I think has been MotM in his last three games. 

Someone is saying the heart of the Club is the fans not the players. Fair enough, but the heart of the Club most certainly isn't Gary Caldwell, yet it's clearer by the day that we're supposed to buy into that notion.  

I remember when Caldwell was enthusing about Erskine’s application in training. Fat lot of good it did Chris.