Thistle For Ever - Fans Ownership

javeajag

I’m not against fan ownership at all, and also have concerns about the takeover.

However I find it strange that the criticism of the consortium is that we don’t really know who they are (even though Chien Lee has a track record). Yet only two people are being named as being behind this new campaign - the same number of people as we know are part of the consortium (Lee and Conway). 

Who else is involved and, importantly for me, are the previous board involved? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I’m not against fan ownership at all, and also have concerns about the takeover.

However I find it strange that the criticism of the consortium is that we don’t really know who they are (even though Chien Lee has a track record). Yet only two people are being named as being behind this new campaign - the same number of people as we know are part of the consortium (Lee and Conway). 

I have no idea and don’t know anything about them other than I know Paul Goodwin is a long time Thistle fan  ....just saw the press release

they have a Facebook page, are on twitter etc so I suggest you ask them and see what they say 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I have no idea and don’t know anything about them other than I know Paul Goodwin is a long time Thistle fan  ....just saw the press release

they have a Facebook page, are on twitter etc so I suggest you ask them and see what they say 

I will. But thought it also worth posting my thoughts given this is a discussion forum. If you didn’t want any replies to your post you only needed to say!

6 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I will. But thought it also worth posting my thoughts given this is a discussion forum. If you didn’t want any replies to your post you only needed to say!

Sorry if that’s how it came across....wasn’t my intention ! Your point is imo a good one and they should tell us about themselves 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I am totally in favour of fan participation and potentially ownership.

I know Allan, and I know of Paul by reputation.

I am also totally familiar with this model - which is pretty much the Falkirk one rebadged.

I also however believe that unless this organisation starts with transparency, it will be doomed. I would not like to think of fans being used as pawns in some game involving the old board's desire to return to power, or to make mischief for the proposed takeover.  That said, it should be for all Thistle fans, so being a member of the old Board or one of their favourites should not preclude anyone from involvement, so long as it is truly democratised.

In answer to the question who is involved in the group ....this is their reply....

The group is led by Paul Goodwin and Allan Heron. Erik Geddes, John Penman, Keith Rarity and George Pullar are helping, too. There's always room for more, though; everyone who pledges their support is part of Thistle For Ever.

• Thanks 1

I think concerns about 'the old board' being involved kind of misses the point. The intention is to purchase 51% of the club's shares to be held by the fans, thus ensuring that any significant decisions made about the club have to be made with the approval of the fans. 

I don't think this is about who the chairman is, or who's the manager, it's about ensuring that the strategic planning of the club is conducted with the approval of the fans, or, at least, those fans who pay to be 'fans' if you know what I mean.

Given that we've just gone through, and are continuing to go through, weeks of not knowing what the future holds for Partick Thistle, it's hard to see how things wouldn't be better if fans owned 51% of the club. There would be clarity and accountability that simply don't exist at the moment. 

Having said that, I've still got concerns about how fan ownership works in practice. We're all too emotionally involved with the team to make rational decisions sometimes - I can envisage us going through three or four managers in a season! However, it seems to work okay elsewhere and the Thistle for Ever group make the point that it's successful in Germany.

So, on the whole, I'm happy to have pledged my support. 

Interesting times, indeed.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

I think concerns about 'the old board' being involved kind of misses the point. The intention is to purchase 51% of the club's shares to be held by the fans, thus ensuring that any significant decisions made about the club have to be made with the approval of the fans. 

I don't think this is about who the chairman is, or who's the manager, it's about ensuring that the strategic planning of the club is conducted with the approval of the fans, or, at least, those fans who pay to be 'fans' if you know what I mean.

Given that we've just gone through, and are continuing to go through, weeks of not knowing what the future holds for Partick Thistle, it's hard to see how things wouldn't be better if fans owned 51% of the club. There would be clarity and accountability that simply don't exist at the moment. 

Having said that, I've still got concerns about how fan ownership works in practice. We're all too emotionally involved with the team to make rational decisions sometimes - I can envisage us going through three or four managers in a season! However, it seems to work okay elsewhere and the Thistle for Ever group make the point that it's successful in Germany.

So, on the whole, I'm happy to have pledged my support. 

Interesting times, indeed.

Yes no evidence old board are involved ... it’s basically the Falkirk model 

Does fan ownership for a club our size necessarily exclude us from, you know, dreaming of a long-term goal of some kind of European competition?

Would be interested if it’s had any positive effect on attendances for the smaller clubs on the list- either direct or indirect.

For me, the concern of fading away due to disinterest is bigger than fading away due to some consortium coming in and potentially wrecking things.  The consortium gives me, rightly or wrongly, a glimmer of hope that the club could expand its fan base and, by proxy, its ambitions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Does fan ownership for a club our size necessarily exclude us from, you know, dreaming of a long-term goal of some kind of European competition?

Would be interested if it’s had any positive effect on attendances for the smaller clubs on the list- either direct or indirect.

For me, the concern of fading away due to disinterest is bigger than fading away due to some consortium coming in and potentially wrecking things.  The consortium gives me, rightly or wrongly, a glimmer of hope that the club could expand its fan base and, by proxy, its ambitions.

Pardon my ignorance, but could/can a 'fan's takeover' be brought about simply by having, say, 500 jags fans willing to pledge a grand or something like that? Surely that would not be difficult, seems a bit too simple.

My one concern would be that, having read some of the New Owner thread posts, I was astonished and alarmed in equal measure at the complete agnosticism (in various quarters) about the people running the club needing to have a bit of a business head. Probably summed up in JJ's 'Bowling Club mentality'.

But I am interested.

37 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Pardon my ignorance, but could/can a 'fan's takeover' be brought about simply by having, say, 500 jags fans willing to pledge a grand or something like that? Surely that would not be difficult, seems a bit too simple.

My one concern would be that, having read some of the New Owner thread posts, I was astonished and alarmed in equal measure at the complete agnosticism (in various quarters) about the people running the club needing to have a bit of a business head. Probably summed up in JJ's 'Bowling Club mentality'.

But I am interested.

I was more concerned about the disinterest of following a club with no ambition.  I think the consortium has potential to change fortunes for the better, which might be some way to reverse the trend of dwindling attendances.

I wonder if fan ownership can offer the same.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

I was more concerned about the disinterest of following a club with no ambition.  I think the consortium has potential to change fortunes for the better, which might be some way to reverse the trend of dwindling attendances.

I wonder if fan ownership can offer the same.

Surely you would have to know the consortiums plans before you can make any judgment, I’m interested in where they can boost their investment company and how they think they can make money from PTFC

Possibly I would like to ask them their contingency plans if they don’t make money.

• Like 1

I think the fans group is  due partly to the dreadful communication -  well none really - from the consortium or the Board apart from the over used word ‘transformational ‘

even after Beattie made his comments to the Herald there was nothing on the club website or in Saturdays programme 

even a high level outline of their plans would be something ....particularly when you read things like this 

https://www.economist.com/britain/2019/08/29/the-end-of-a-134-year-old-english-football-club

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One way of raising cash could be thru some sort of season ticket/debenture thingy. Could jazz it up with the odd hospitality day etc. Perhaps make the debenture transferable. Think I'd prefer something along these lines rather than simply buying shares.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are two issues with this :

1. It reduces future and/or potential income to the club

2. Only by holding shares can the fans be assured of proper representation - and for that therefore to be democratic

This is the best model for this kind of plan. Well done to the guys who have invested time to get this established and test the commitment of Thistle fans to own their club.

Statement from Thistle For Ever on the question of Colin Weir being involved ....

No, our plan is to seek pledges from fans who want to secure the future of Partick Thistle as a community club. It's our hope that enough existing shareholders can be persuaded to sell or gift their shares to allow the wider Thistle community to gain ownership of the club.