Montrose (away) Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup

elevenone

37 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Dundee beaten at home by Elgin after going a goal up. Good chance for us now to get to a final with both Dundee teams out. 

Airdrie, Clyde, Arbroath, Alloa, Glenavon, Inverness, Solihull, Raith, St Mirren u21s, Stenny, Wrexham, Connahs Quay, Waterford all left.

Totally agree. 

yesterdays results were great for the chances of progress and the result today is the cherry on the cake!

Looking at those teams left I see absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be making a good case to win this tournament. No teams in there that we can’t beat on our day whatsoever. Hope we get a lower league team at home then a foreign away day the round after and beat Clyde in the final! Should be easy enough :thumbsup2:

Just now, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Looking at those teams left I see absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be making a good case to win this tournament. No teams in there that we can’t beat on our day whatsoever. Hope we get a lower league team at home then a foreign away day the round after and beat Clyde in the final! Should be easy enough :thumbsup2:

Lol. Nothing comes easy with Thistle. 

1 hour ago, sb1876 said:

Wouldn't mind Elgin away as a tie, just up the road for me and one of the few grounds I've not seen Thistle play at.

Agree as regards Elgin. Until Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers annoyingly sneaked into the league, Elgin's ground was the only one where I had not seen Thistle play. Having said that, I "tidied up" Montrose yesterday as my only previous experience there was a non-competitive pre-season friendly.

Another interesting possible tie would be against Glenavon, whose goalkeeper is our old friend Jonny Tuffey.

At what stage of the competition, do all fans attending receive free Caramel Wafers?

The fact everybody I've talked to wants an away tie against someone  we've not played before (myself included) only indicates how irrelevant a competition this is. Put another way if we were that keen on winning it we'd be all praying for a home tie against some real minnow. Assuming that to be accurate I'll not be critical of our manager regardless of result.  

What I really dislike is the false seriousness that surrounds these fixtures . What I like about the competition is the opportunity to blend in some of our younger and periphery players. Tho' I respect our supporters views I just can't understand how any of us can take this competition seriously.  That maybe comes across all Billy Big Boots but I'm kinda certain the vast majority of fans from participant clubs could.n't name the holders never mind the recent winners.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The fact everybody I've talked to wants an away tie against someone  we've not played before (myself included) only indicates how irrelevant a competition this is. Put another way if we were that keen on winning it we'd be all praying for a home tie against some real minnow. Assuming that to be accurate I'll not be critical of our manager regardless of result.  

What I really dislike is the false seriousness that surrounds these fixtures . What I like about the competition is the opportunity to blend in some of our younger and periphery players. Tho' I respect our supporters views I just can't understand how any of us can take this competition seriously.  That maybe comes across all Billy Big Boots but I'm kinda certain the vast majority of fans from participant clubs could.n't name the holders never mind the recent winners.

I kind of think that a lot of  Thistle fans want an away tie against teams not in our league in all the cup competitions.

What is it about the competition you don’t like ? Is it the inclusion of the colt teams ? Or is it the inclusion of “foreign” clubs ?

I feel it is in the same mould as the group stages of the league cup - a chance to blend new players in the team in the early rounds. As you say, there is no great loss in not progressing - although last year’s defeat at East Fife was the nail in the coffin for Archibald. 

We were interested enough the year we got to the final with big supports heading to Cowdenbeath for the semi final and Livingston for the final.

ps - Ross County are the current holders and often the competition is won by a team that wins its own league.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I kind of think that a lot of  Thistle fans want an away tie against teams not in our league in all the cup competitions.

What is it about the competition you don’t like ? Is it the inclusion of the colt teams ? Or is it the inclusion of “foreign” clubs ?

I feel it is in the same mould as the group stages of the league cup - a chance to blend new players in the team in the early rounds. As you say, there is no great loss in not progressing - although last year’s defeat at East Fife was the nail in the coffin for Archibald. 

We were interested enough the year we got to the final with big supports heading to Cowdenbeath for the semi final and Livingston for the final.

ps - Ross County are the current holders and often the competition is won by a team that wins its own league.

In truth I can't really argue with you as my long held apathy for this competition affects any objectivity. However i'll give it a try in speculating that had we beaten East Fife last season Archie would still have been sacked. In the same way I doubt very much that our 5-0 win at Stranraer in the same competition deferred his dismissal. 

Btw I don't remember a big support at Central Pk at any of our four visits there that season (tho' there could've been 5000 at the abandoned game and I wouldn't have noticed:)). Certainly there was no large Thistle following befitting of a cup semi final. 

For what it's worth I believe the competition would be greatly enhanced if it was only open to Division One & Two clubs in the senior ranks plus more non senior clubs.  Effectively with few exceptions a cup competition for part time clubs.

Ross Co won it last season but imagine had Dundee Utd won it. Would their fans be any way more satisfied with their season had they won the Challenge Cup?  As I say I'm coming from a too subjective point of view to argue the toss. I suspect many others too are of a similar viewpoint given the traditionally very poor attendances, with one notable exception, Challenge Cup ties generate.

I personally would love us to go and win it regardless, it would still be a good day out and a trophy to lift why wouldn’t anyone want that? Surely there would be some kind of financial gain from winning it, I can imagine it wouldn’t be much by any means but every little helps. The last final we reached against QOTS provided one of my favourite thistle goal memories ever when doolan equalised. Obviously it ended in misery but that’s not the point :thumbsup: At this point I would be happy if we won this and made a play off spot at all, then of course hopefully progress in the play offs too. Think maybe the addition of the foreign teams or more so the colt teams is what has really taken the gloss off it for most folk. 

3 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Think maybe the addition of the foreign teams or more so the colt teams is what has really taken the gloss off it for most folk. 

It's ironic in a way that the novelty of playing a non Scottish club is undoubtedly an attraction but at the same time having them in the tournament probably devalues the competition. The colt team addition is only beneficial to their clubs.

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's ironic in a way that the novelty of playing a non Scottish club is undoubtedly an attraction but at the same time having them in the tournament probably devalues the competition. The colt team addition is only beneficial to their clubs.

Do you think it devalues the competition because they are not playing in as good a league ?

I wonder if only the colts clubs benefit from their inclusion. It certainly gives the younger players exposure to playing against more experienced pros and brings them on quicker. Raith Rovers May well have benefitted from Kevin Nisbet playing in our colts and we are maybe benefitting from Palmer playing for Rangers Colts ?

I’m not a massive fan of the Colts teams in the tournament but I really do like the concept. It would be good to see us play teams from other countries as opportunities will otherwise almost always be limited to pre-season friendlies (and even less chance these days with the League Cup group stage). 

I have always liked the idea of a British League Cup but it will never  happen, and probably for a range of very valid reasons  

With only four Championship teams left in the draw, we should be looking to win this, could be a good boost to morale and team spirit as well as a final and trophy, no matter how noddy! 

24 minutes ago, Stephen1876 said:

I’m not a massive fan of the Colts teams in the tournament but I really do like the concept. It would be good to see us play teams from other countries as opportunities will otherwise almost always be limited to pre-season friendlies (and even less chance these days with the League Cup group stage). 

I have always liked the idea of a British League Cup but it will never  happen, and probably for a range of very valid reasons  

With only four Championship teams left in the draw, we should be looking to win this, could be a good boost to morale and team spirit as well as a final and trophy, no matter how noddy! 

Our trophy cabinet isn't exactly full so would be rather mad not to want to win it. That said our record in cup competitions is generally abysmal so hardly a shoe in!

I must confess that I can't understand fans looking through their noses at a competition that their team has never been good enough to win.  For my part, this competition is the only one to have produced a national final for us since I started supporting the Jags in 1973.  That alone is reason enough for me to like it.

26 minutes ago, Dunfermline Jag said:

I must confess that I can't understand fans looking through their noses at a competition that their team has never been good enough to win.  For my part, this competition is the only one to have produced a national final for us since I started supporting the Jags in 1973.  That alone is reason enough for me to like it.

I think you can deride the competition but not the competitors if that makes any sense.

The introduction of the colt teams was surrounded by suspicion from the word go. When a senior player (laughably called a mentor) was permitted it kinda supported that suspicion. At the same time we're not even able to play a trialist in the early rounds.Personally I don't feel the competition is devalued by colt teams but at the same time I certainly don't trust Doncaster.

You can argue that the top tier club colts will benefit from playing against senior opposition but why then are they not kept apart in the draw?  I'm assuming the draw is already compromised or you get colt teams traveling to Sligo or wherever. The only benefit of introducing non Scottish clubs as far as I can see is it gives a chance for us fans to visit a new ground and a fair chance of a decent away day. That's fine but a cross border championship would be so much better. We had the ludicrous situation las season of East Fife traveling to Dublin for a non game that had already been rescheduled. Dunfermline played away to Boreham Wood (?) and even after SPFL compensation were severely out of pocket (maybe we would've had our players make their own way to London?:)).

I do tho' want us to get to the final and indeed go one better for similar reasons to those expressed. We've a large enough squad to ensure a run in this cup wouldn't impact negatively on our league business. Just hope the final will be played at a different venue from our last one.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think you can deride the competition but not the competitors if that makes any sense.

The introduction of the colt teams was surrounded by suspicion from the word go. When a senior player (laughably called a mentor) was permitted it kinda supported that suspicion. At the same time we're not even able to play a trialist in the early rounds.Personally I don't feel the competition is devalued by colt teams but at the same time I certainly don't trust Doncaster.

You can argue that the top tier club colts will benefit from playing against senior opposition but why then are they not kept apart in the draw?  I'm assuming the draw is already compromised or you get colt teams traveling to Sligo or wherever. The only benefit of introducing non Scottish clubs as far as I can see is it gives a chance for us fans to visit a new ground and a fair chance of a decent away day. That's fine but a cross border championship would be so much better. We had the ludicrous situation las season of East Fife traveling to Dublin for a non game that had already been rescheduled. Dunfermline played away to Boreham Wood (?) and even after SPFL compensation were severely out of pocket (maybe we would've had our players make their own way to London?:)).

I do tho' want us to get to the final and indeed go one better for similar reasons to those expressed. We've a large enough squad to ensure a run in this cup wouldn't impact negatively on our league business. Just hope the final will be played at a different venue from our last one.

Third Round tie (to be played next week), Ballymena United v Rangers Colts.