Kris Doolan Testimonial

jlsarmy

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Out of likes, but completely agree and I definitely think he will be, maybe even soon. Yesterday in particular made me reflect a great deal on how much of a legend and miss he is.  

His release was appallingly handled by a number of people at the club, even Gerry who I have a lot of time for did not come out of it well but I thought at the time and for a while in what had been an unusually poor season from him the right decision had been made, now after serious reflection I’m thinking that maybe have been very wrong- not necessarily on football field (though head and shoulders above jones and mansell- Even though mansell is not terrible and does his best) as much as with experience passed onto younger players and being a true role model.

a true eye opener I think for me

Out of likes. Well said TL.

• Like 1

The programme for yesterday has some great quotes in it and excellent value at only £2. As I say some great quotes, but this part of the Hugh Murray quote sums up my thoughts and I also think quite a number of Thistle fans thoughts. 'What was Thistle thinking when they let him go?!?!' Says it all for me.

• Like 2

Yesterday was great, and an emotional day and I'm sure everyone agrees that Kris Doolan (and Chris Erskine) are legends. It was great to see them back and to get the chance to show our appreciation. 

One thing I would stand by, is that Gary Caldwell has to (or at least should) stand and fall by his decisions. On that basis I had no problem with him letting these players go, he has to look after the team, and his own prospects have to be based on the success of the team he builds. It may have been done badly, but in all honesty it was pretty easy to make a case for letting them go based on the football they'd been playing for a year or so. I think to keep them on for sentimental reasons, or even to support others, would have been a bit of a waste of their talent, if they can contribute more elsewhere.

Unfortunately Gary Caldwell has not improved the team. That is the problem in my eyes, not the good people he's let go. I like others hope to see them both back when the time is right for them and us.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Couldn't make it to the game today but it appears there was a wee breeze today given the number of fans getting some dust in their eyes. I would have been up the back of the JHS bawling' my eyes out!  Looking forward to the return of Dools and proper football some day. All the best Kris!

Yesterday was a special day for our Club , lots of families there , Supporters I haven’t seen for years and years turned up for Dools testimonial which is testament to the man.

It also showed what can be achieved if the Club can get supporters onside and we all pull together.

• Like 2

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Yesterday was a special day for our Club , lots of families there , Supporters I haven’t seen for years and years turned up for Dools testimonial which is testament to the man.

It also showed what can be achieved if the Club can get supporters onside and we all pull together.

Out of likes.

9 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

The programme for yesterday has some great quotes in it and excellent value at only £2. As I say some great quotes, but this part of the Hugh Murray quote sums up my thoughts and I also think quite a number of Thistle fans thoughts. 'What was Thistle thinking when they let him go?!?!' Says it all for me.

in a nutshell. great day for doolan , very emotional, i must admit there was a tear in my eye.

but how the hell has it come to this ?

15 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

in a nutshell. great day for doolan , very emotional, i must admit there was a tear in my eye.

but how the hell has it come to this ?

The old, old board not binning Archibald quickly enough, the new old board, appointing Caldwell and the new old old board still keeping him in the hope of making a buck out of the sale and leave the mess to the new owners.

42 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Was also good to see Archie back- and he got a good reception. Would take him back in a flash- as a man and a manager he is head and shoulders above baw heid.

Agree with you that Archie is head and shoulders above Caldwell. But I think that Archie has had his time as Thistle manager. Best for him to go and see how he does at another club. We will probably be looking for another manager soon.

12 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree with you that Archie is head and shoulders above Caldwell. But I think that Archie has had his time as Thistle manager. Best for him to go and see how he does at another club. We will probably be looking for another manager soon.

Yup, even Archie has acknowledged that his time was up and that he should have left after the top 6 season. If he managed elsewhere and showed he had developed as a manager then I would take him back, but then I have grown up with him almost always being around the club.

Got home yesterday and dug out the programs from Alan Archibald's and Kenny Arthur's  testimonials. Archie's was just over 10 years ago and Kenny's 13 years ago. Dools, Paton Archie, Rowson and Erskine played in both Dool's and Archie's. Simon Donnelly was the only one to play in all three.

Memories! :ptfc:

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Got home yesterday and dug out the programs from Alan Archibald's and Kenny Arthur's  testimonials. Archie's was just over 10 years ago and Kenny's 13 years ago. Dools, Paton Archie, Rowson and Erskine played in both Dool's and Archie's. Simon Donnelly was the only one to play in all three.

Memories! :ptfc:

& I dug out Jackie Campbell (Hercules the Bear) one from '80 & the late Molly Stallan's one from '88. Horrendous thinking of the years passed since those. 

:wearethistle: :nomads: 

Any idea why it nearly always (apart from Archie's game v a Liverpool C Team) appears to be the green cheek invited to play in Firhill testimonials? 

Edited by gianlucatoni

7 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

& I dug out Jackie Campbell (Hercules the Bear) one from '80 & the late Molly Stallan's one from '88. Horrendous thinking of the years passed since those. 

Any idea why it nearly always (apart from Archie's game v a Liverpool C Team) appears to be the green cheek invited to play in Firhill testimonials? 

Donnie McKinnon's was v. Man Utd. Bestie et al.

9 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

I remember Alan Roughs testimonial in the early 80's!!  Versus a Scotland select, seemed to me at the time that there were a lot of big names playing and amongst the others getting off the bus!  Filled my autograph book back in the day.:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

What ones were against Celtic? Alan Morgan’s, Jackie Campbell’s, John Lambie’s, Alan Rough’s and Donnie McKinnon’s weren’t so I’m struggling to think of many that involved Celtic.

edit just had a look and even Molly’s match was against a ‘Premier select’.

Edited by ClydebankJag

12 hours ago, sandy said:

Dools, Squiddy, Archie, Shaggy (for that goal at ICT), BMMH and Charnley. All Thistle legends. 

The current crop will have to go somewhat to even get halfway there.

Exception of Banzo, who's already there as far as I'm concerned. I reckon he was our most important player between about 2012 and 2015, and the one who was central to our successful style at that very successful and entertaining time.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There was one against a Celtic Youth team. I'm thinking it might have been Kenny Arthur's testimonial. Mind it as Chico scored a great goal that night. I also seem to remember being a bit miffed with Dick C as he used the occasion to play a trialist(s) but again I might be wrong.

Chico did score at KA’s testimonial.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There was one against a Celtic Youth team. I'm thinking it might have been Kenny Arthur's testimonial. Mind it as Chico scored a great goal that night. I also seem to remember being a bit miffed with Dick C as he used the occasion to play a trialist(s) but again I might be wrong.

You’re right it was Ryan Mcann 

20 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said: