Arbroath Friday!!!!

thebiglemon

7 hours ago, Firhillista said:

When Caldwell looks at the blank team sheet before a game, who does he know he's going to put in? As far as I can tell, only McGinty, Penrice and Millar can be fairly sure of a start. The rest? God (Caldwell) knows.

We prevaricate between two goalies, we drop in a new right back, we don't know who's going to be alongside McGinty - perm any one from three - our holding midfielders are likely to be Bannigan and Palmer, though not always and depending on whether Caldwell has fallen out with Bannigan or not (and when the other three midfielders return from injury there'll be even more chopping and changing), our attacking midfielder is.. oh, wait a minute, we haven't got one... maybe Cole now, although we seem to want him to play the ball from the back, but we can always drop Millar in there or Cardle or Da Vita because, well, why not? our central striker definitely ISN'T Jones, although Mansell does contribute, just not with goals...

I'm too depressed to go on.

I think we've got some decent players, certainly decent enough to put the club into the top four. 

There's no evidence that Gary Caldwell is the manager to get them there.

There is irefutable evidence that he is not.

40 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I want to see Thistle progress under Caldwell(or anyone). I do not think Caldwell has done a good job so far and appreciate we cannot wait any longer after next week for a 1st win.

I find the above post (with 5 likes) distasteful, fatuous and moronic. He hasn’t read my comment nor considered the content. 

Ive seen worse managers than GC, believe me!!  I want him to succeed because I don’t want another crap manager and I don’t want us wasting money on paying the management team off only to employ someone else who may also be crap. This may well come to pass if we are humped by the Pars.

My point which has been disregarded is that the debutants looked like an improvement after half time who can be teamed with probably our best 2 mids next week.

Give then a chance!!

Agree with this, simply put [IMO] we don't have the money to fire someone and bring in another management team. There is little doubt the GC is not the manager we [Ms Low] thought we were getting.  Some of his team formations and tactics appear to be so over complicated and illogical that the team is suffering. They now look to have lost confidence, and any momentum they had built up during the earlier cup run has simply evaporated.

I don't see any point in the board stepping in to change the manager until after the Celtic game. No real scientific explanation for this opinion, just one game we should win [against DAFC], and one game we are the plucky underdog who are there simply to give the soap dodgers a 'bit of a game'. After those games we should see if GC has simply had a bad start to this season, or is just not fit for purpose as a manager.

But ….. I would think if there is to be any change in managers, the board would need to be drawing up a list of prospective candidates now, making sure we get one who will be good for the club, and working out how much it will cost for a new manager + the additional expense in releasing GC from his contract.

What we don't need is another knee jerk reaction.

19 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Agree with this, simply put [IMO] we don't have the money to fire someone and bring in another management team. There is little doubt the GC is not the manager we [Ms Low] thought we were getting.  Some of his team formations and tactics appear to be so over complicated and illogical that the team is suffering. They now look to have lost confidence, and any momentum they had built up during the earlier cup run has simply evaporated.

I don't see any point in the board stepping in to change the manager until after the Celtic game. No real scientific explanation for this opinion, just one game we should win [against DAFC], and one game we are the plucky underdog who are there simply to give the soap dodgers a 'bit of a game'. After those games we should see if GC has simply had a bad start to this season, or is just not fit for purpose as a manager.

But ….. I would think if there is to be any change in managers, the board would need to be drawing up a list of prospective candidates now, making sure we get one who will be good for the club, and working out how much it will cost for a new manager + the additional expense in releasing GC from his contract.

Wow, knee jerk reaction ?Caldwell  has been here for over a year and we’re probably worse than we were when he took over ,  Crowds are down , sponsorship is down , season ticket sales are down .  Caldwell is decimating our Club , taken away our identity of being a family Club , if his methods were proving fruitful then you could possibly justify some of the nonsense, envelope gate , SAS , the treatment of Doolan and Erskine etc 

We’re on course for another relegation battle, and if he stays then come January he’ll go cap in hand to the Board and ask for more funds to fix the mess he’s created .

It’s not knee jerk and can we really afford to keep Caldwell, we’re going absolutely nowhere under the current management team .

Time to cut loose and get the feel good factor back into the Club.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The board have been patient and the fans have been more than patient. Unless there is a sudden upturn in form, nobody could describe it as a knee jerk reaction if Thistle were to sack him. If we don't win on Saturday, his position is untenable imo.

From the look of things the board don't give a s**t about what's going on. Are they interested in anything apart from dumping their shares? We've heard nothing since the statement at the open day that they agreed the communication with fans was lacking. It's looking more and more like the only reason they replaced the old board was to remove any objection to the consortium.

Thistle are like a rudderless ship whose captain stayed in port.

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The board have been patient and the fans have been more than patient. Unless there is a sudden upturn in form, nobody could describe it as a knee jerk reaction if Thistle were to sack him. If we don't win on Saturday, his position is untenable imo.

Completely agree with you.  The league position and performances are not good enough and nothing gives me confidence that's going to change.

12 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I would suggest the biggest knee jerk reaction was in fact the appointment of this clown. 

Inadequate due diligence done, inadequate alternate options interviewed, allegedly ignoring the advice of football people in making the appointment despite the fact the chair had never interviewed nor appointed a football manager in herlife, giving a handsome contract, buying the bullshit, publishing defamatory statements about his previous employers which a simple Wikipedia search would have shown to be wrong  

Ms low swallowed the kool aid in one big gulp.  She is culpable, responsible and his appointment was a knee jerk one.  He is a fraud as a manager and one might conclude she was as a chair  

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying the firing of Archie was knee jerk only the appointment of his replacement. 

• Like 2

Out of likes JAF. She is responsible for this. Sat there with her scarf on sat next to coco the clown giving their spiel as to what he and thistle could achieve. You could smell the bullshit a mile off. A pair of complete morons well matched. Useless woman couldn’t run a bath, let alone a football club

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Wow, knee jerk reaction ?Caldwell  has been here for over a year and we’re probably worse than we were when he took over ,  Crowds are down , sponsorship is down , season ticket sales are down .  Caldwell is decimating our Club , taken away our identity of being a family Club , if his methods were proving fruitful then you could possibly justify some of the nonsense, envelope gate , SAS , the treatment of Doolan and Erskine etc 

We’re on course for another relegation battle, and if he stays then come January he’ll go cap in hand to the Board and ask for more funds to fix the mess he’s created .

It’s not knee jerk and can we really afford to keep Caldwell, we’re going absolutely nowhere under the current management team .

Time to cut loose and get the feel good factor back into the Club.

You misunderstood …. my opinion is firing Archie and appointing GC was a knee jerk reaction.

GC's appointment lacked due diligence by a qualified [by qualified, I mean ones that knew what they were doing] board of directors, so we ended up with the manager we have now.

It is highly possible we hire in another wrong manager, the club will not survive the disruption that kind of mistake can make.

33 minutes ago, jaf said:

I would suggest the biggest knee jerk reaction was in fact the appointment of this clown. 

Inadequate due diligence done, inadequate alternate options interviewed, allegedly ignoring the advice of football people in making the appointment despite the fact the chair had never interviewed nor appointed a football manager in herlife, giving a handsome contract, buying the bullshit, publishing defamatory statements about his previous employers which a simple Wikipedia search would have shown to be wrong  

Ms low swallowed the kool aid in one big gulp.  She is culpable, responsible and his appointment was a knee jerk one.  He is a fraud as a manager and one might conclude she was as a chair  

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying the firing of Archie was knee jerk only the appointment of his replacement. 

I replied to JLS earlier [see above] I think perhaps the way I wrote my earlier comment was not clear.

25 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Out of likes JAF. She is responsible for this. Sat there with her scarf on sat next to coco the clown giving their spiel as to what he and thistle could achieve. You could smell the bullshit a mile off. A pair of complete morons well matched. Useless woman couldn’t run a bath, let alone a football club

Beware kingleo, you will be judged as been a sexist by the snowflake band on this forum, if your not in the club or in the know.

1 minute ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

You misunderstood …. my opinion is firing Archie and appointing GC was a knee jerk reaction.

GC's appointment lacked due diligence by a qualified [by qualified, I mean ones that knew what they were doing] board of directors, so we ended up with the manager we have now.

It is highly possible we hire in another wrong manager, the club will not survive the disruption that kind of mistake can make.

Sorry if I misunderstood, not sure if Archie losing his job was a knee jerk reaction, after all we had just been relegated, didn’t start off well and the recruitment wasn’t great , all these things culminated in Archie losing his job .

Just now , I would argue there is nothing knee jerk in what is happening on and off the park.

I understand there is a financial element to releasing Caldwell but just now I don’t think Caldwell is even polarising opinion, I believe most supporters have decided he’s not up to the job.

If the only reason he’s still at the Club is a financial one , then that doesn’t say a lot for the BOD who are running the Club and meant to be safeguarding our future, are they just watching us slide into mediocrity?

I believe for example a management team of MCCall/ Doolan would get the Supporters back on side , get Sponsorship back on track with the financial spin offs that leads on from that .

It’s a no brainer for me , we’re going nowhere under Caldwell.

22 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Sorry if I misunderstood, not sure if Archie losing his job was a knee jerk reaction, after all we had just been relegated, didn’t start off well and the recruitment wasn’t great , all these things culminated in Archie losing his job .

Just now , I would argue there is nothing knee jerk in what is happening on and off the park.

I understand there is a financial element to releasing Caldwell but just now I don’t think Caldwell is even polarising opinion, I believe most supporters have decided he’s not up to the job.

If the only reason he’s still at the Club is a financial one , then that doesn’t say a lot for the BOD who are running the Club and meant to be safeguarding our future, are they just watching us slide into mediocrity?

I believe for example a management team of MCCall/ Doolan would get the Supporters back on side , get Sponsorship back on track with the financial spin offs that leads on from that .

It’s a no brainer for me , we’re going nowhere under Caldwell.

Archie should have left after relegation, I believe he offered to leave at the time, the fact is the then BOD gave him a new contract then after 8 games fired him, ok lets not call it kneejerk, lets just say poor planning.

Appointing GC was kneejerk reaction of sorts as there appeared to be little football logic for giving him the job. His managerial experience till the date he joined PTFC was mediocre at best. Common sense was saying appoint Jim Duffy, but Ms Low decided the organisational skills GC showed along with the analytical skills [he could write and present a 'powerpoint' slide show] swung the gig for him.

McCall and Doolan would be a desirable management team for sure, but I just don't see it happening as we don't have the finances to afford a transfer fee for the incoming guys, and the severance payment to get rid of GC and his assistants. Added to that, I don't think Bunters and Dools would want to join the complete clusterfvck that is PTFC at this time.

Purely my opinion, but I can see someone like John Hughes [hired until the end of the current season] steering us to a top 4 position in this league with the current players we have.

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

8 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Archie should have left after relegation, I believe he offered to leave at the time, the fact is the then BOD gave him a new contract then after 8 games fired him, ok lets not call it kneejerk, lets just say poor planning.

Appointing GC was kneejerk reaction of sorts as there appeared to be little football logic for giving him the job. His managerial experience till the date he joined PTFC was mediocre at best. Common sense was saying appoint Jim Duffy, but Ms Low decided the organisational skills GC showed along with the analytical skills [he could write and present a 'powerpoint' slide show] swung the gig for him.

McCall and Doolan would be a desirable management team for sure, but I just don't see it happening as we don't have the finances to afford a transfer fee for the incoming guys, and the severance payment to get rid of GC and his assistants. Added to that, I don't think Bunters and Dools would want to join the complete clusterfvck that is PTFC at this time.

Purely my opinion, but I can see someone like John Hughes [hired until the end of the current season] steering us to a top 4 position in this league with the current players we have.

Is that the same John Hughes who got Raith Rovers relegated and fell out with the players, not sure we’re a good match for John Hughes 

19 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Not much evidence to support that opinion.

1 hour ago, jaf said:

Nothing there to disagree with there in any way. I've always been of the opinion that had Laszlo not been so useless at Tannadice and didn't leave there a couple of weeks before Archie was binned Caldwell wouldn't even have got an interview. So, yes, a knee jerk appointment. I'm clinging onto the faint hope that because his record elsewhere was checkered his terms of contract are weighted heavily in favour of the Club. Not holding my breath on that one tho'.

23 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Is that the same John Hughes who got Raith Rovers relegated and fell out with the players, not sure we’re a good match for John Hughes 

The same.

PTFC need to be realistic when they are thinking of a new manager:-

1) Who can you afford?

2) Is he available without a severance pay being applied?

3) Who would want to come to Firhill in the middle of the present turmoil wrt. the BOD?

Personally I would like to have Steve Clark as the next manager, but that simply is not going to happen in my lifetime!

30 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

What's the story here? Have figures been published?

You’ve been involved with player sponsorship and did a good job , do we need published figures to confirm things ? , there was bunch of sponsors who pulled their sponsorship ( my company being one of them )  players sponsorship in terms of jerseys and boots looks like it’s down if you look at the availability, struggling to sell Hospitality.

Do you need a report to confirm this ?

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You’ve been involved with player sponsorship and did a good job , do we need published figures to confirm things ? , there was bunch of sponsors who pulled their sponsorship ( my company being one of them )  players sponsorship in terms of jerseys and boots looks like it’s down if you look at the availability, struggling to sell Hospitality.

Do you need a report to confirm this ?

Frankly, yes. If you are going to repeatedly state things as fact, it's not unreasonable to expect there to be supporting evidence.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if your assertion is true. All revenue streams are probably down, sponsorship; Jagzone subs.; season tickets; gate receipts (with knock-on affect on catering, programme sales, 50/50 Draw). The club is a real mess at the moment.

The fans are being treated with contempt. The longer the Board remain silent, the more I believe that they are solely interested in getting their shares sold. 

11 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Frankly, yes. If you are going to repeatedly state things as fact, it's not unreasonable to expect there to be supporting evidence.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if your assertion is true. All revenue streams are probably down, sponsorship; Jagzone subs.; season tickets; gate receipts (with knock-on affect on catering, programme sales, 50/50 Draw). The club is a real mess at the moment.

The fans are being treated with contempt. The longer the Board remain silent, the more I believe that they are solely interested in getting their shares sold. 

Wasn’t trying to be controversial at any point, if you go to Firhill on a Saturday you can see what is happening around about you , whether that’s crowd numbers or Hospitality , not sure you need a report to validate that , we’ll agree to disagree on that one .

Everything else you said re shares I agree with 100%

2 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Archie asked (apparently) for a deal to be made to sever his contract. BOD wanted to give him a chance, he had a 1 year rolling deal, no new deal was given. If we’d fired him in May it would have cost us a years wage. In fairness Archie never got a rolling deal till after about 3 or 4 years managing us, by which time he deserved it. His replacement (allegedly) was given one at first time of asking 

9 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Out of Likes

27 minutes ago, kevin energy said:

The same John Hughes that won Inverness the cup and took them to 3rd in the SPL

Know he did well there , just think at this moment to unify everybody it would be better if it was someone who had a feel for the Club , whether that’s a Jim Duffy , Stephen Craigan , Danny Lennon or an Ian McCall/ Dools partnership.

Could be the takeover has put a spanner in the works , I’m not sure whether the current BOD or the prospective new owners would want to keep Gary Caldwell especially with the negativity surrounding the Club just now.

If we don’t beat Dunfermline on Saturday, I think Beattie and co have a big decision to make about Caldwell.