Caldwell Sacked

javeajag

Just now, West of Scotland said:

Yes, I think we can all agree we have to get the right replacement. You'd have to be somewhat perverse to want the wrong person.

I was desperate for Caldwell to succeed for this very reason. I’ve seen so many poor managers over 50 years and didn’t want another.  Unfortunately he turned out to be as useless as many of his predecessors(not as bad as fat DJ though).

So it’s costing us a fortune and we need a good appointment. Let’s have no rolling contracts.

McCall and Macnamara were excellent so Id be inclined towards them.

Need someone who won’t divide opinion and the only person that I can think of in that regard would be Danny Lennon.

former thistle captain in a successful side that play under the great lambie. He has also done well in management leading st Mirren to a league cup victory and a number of years in the top league.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Just now, West of Scotland said:

Yes, I think we can all agree we have to get the right replacement. You'd have to be somewhat perverse to want the wrong person.

Our last board appointed the wrong person.

Just now, milhouse said:

Yep, you kinda only find out if they are the right replacement a while after they are appointed.

I think if you look at their record at their previous clubs, that gives you an idea of how it might go. Caldwells managerial record before he came to us was poor. Now I think he will find it extremely difficult to get a managerial job in football at  a decent level.

Edited by Auld Jag

I'm quite glad he has been run off. Last Sunday showed the kind of positivity we all have for ourclub.....it's special....we all know that.

That's the key point, its our club. Managers and boards come and go....we remain.

So let's look forward to the next guy we allow to look after our club. Hope he's brilliant, but if he's not, then feck him, we'll get someone else until we find the new Lambie.

Wearethistle.

Edited by Aberdeenjag
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aberdeenjag said:

I'm quite glad he has been run off. Last Sunday showed the kind of positivity we all have for ourclub.....it's special....we all know that.

That's the key point, its our club. Managers and boards come and go....we remain.

So let's look forward to the next guy we allow to look after our club. Hope he's brilliant, but if he's not, then feck him, we'll get someone else until we find the new Lambie.

Wearethistle.

Keeping that feel good factor is important, imo. Creating a happy dressing equally so as we move forward.

I'm warming to the idea of Danny Lennon returning. Lambie's captain in a team that won back to back titles and helped get us to a major cup semi-final.

Did a decent job at St Mirren and managed to take the League Cup to Paisley. Didn't have his contract renewed but his assistant Tommy Craig snaked in and started a slide for the Buddies under his tenureship.

Lennon has flirted about but he transformed a dying entity in Clyde and got them back up a league last year when recently they'd been closer to the Lowland Leagues than League One over the last few seasons.

He'd have a decent squad to work with and I feel he could get us back up the table.

Compensation shouldn't be too much as I'd reckon he was on around £30-35k a season. Not sure about having Wee Allan Moore back at Firhill though...

He might not be the new Lambie but probably as close as we could get!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Need someone who won’t divide opinion and the only person that I can think of in that regard would be Danny Lennon.

former thistle captain in a successful side that play under the great lambie. He has also done well in management leading st Mirren to a league cup victory and a number of years in the top league.

Exactly my thoughts.  Every other possible candidate risks further division. Lennon is the unity candidate. 

Credit to Beattie for adding the final slide to Caldo's PowerPoint presentation. 

McNamara: no feckin chance. Our self esteem might've declined over the past two years, but not to the extent of taking that wee fecker back.

Danny Lennon or Ian McCall. Let's get the Thistle spirit back into Thistle. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaf said:

Exactly my thoughts.  Every other possible candidate risks further division. Lennon is the unity candidate. 

McCall? Don’t think there would be that much division on his appointment. He knows the division inside out - I think Lennon has only managed in this league once- don’t get me wrong I’d be very happy with Lennon but McCall would be my first choice 

Just now, Blackpool Jags said:

Credit to Beattie for adding the final slide to Caldo's PowerPoint presentation. 

McNamara: no feckin chance. Our self esteem might've declined over the past two years, but not to the extent of taking that wee fecker back.

Danny Lennon or Ian McCall. Let's get the Thistle spirit back into Thistle. 

Out of likes. McNamara took York down the same route Caldwell took Chesterfield and was taking us as well.

• Like 1

When Archie for the sack we should have been looking for a manager that was able to make us defensively better and more direct in attack to aim for a quick return to the top flight. GC clearly wasn't that guy hence it was always a struggle.

This time I think we should be looking a manager that can initially make the current squad play to their potential and recreate Partick Thistle as a club that finds good young local talent  with the overarching aim of a return to the premier league within the next 2 seasons. That needs someone with a track record at this level of identifying undiscovered talent, that can develop players and mould them into a team.

With that in mind my selection for manager in order of preference:

Ian McCall -some distance- Stephen Craigan, Danny Lennon, Jackie McNamara, Kris Doolan --some distance --- Billy Dodds, Derek Adams

Managers that I would avoid like the plague:

Hughes, McIntyre, Pressley, Miller, Duffy, Stubbs

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Our last board appointed the wrong person.

I think if you look at their record at their previous clubs, that gives you an idea of how it might go. Caldwells managerial record before he came to us was poor. Now I think he will find it extremely difficult to get a managerial job in football at  a decent level.

Won League 1 with Wigan in England and Manager of the Year - looks very good on a CV and a higher level than his predecessors at Thistle.

Clearly came across very well at a job interview. Not completely surprising he was given the job and I'm not sure his appointment at the time can be hugely criticised.

9 minutes ago, laukat said:

When Archie for the sack we should have been looking for a manager that was able to make us defensively better and more direct in attack to aim for a quick return to the top flight. GC clearly wasn't that guy hence it was always a struggle.

This time I think we should be looking a manager that can initially make the current squad play to their potential and recreate Partick Thistle as a club that finds good young local talent  with the overarching aim of a return to the premier league within the next 2 seasons. That needs someone with a track record at this level of identifying undiscovered talent, that can develop players and mould them into a team.

With that in mind my selection for manager in order of preference:

Ian McCall -some distance- Stephen Craigan, Danny Lennon, Jackie McNamara, Kris Doolan --some distance --- Billy Dodds, Derek Adams

Managers that I would avoid like the plague:

Hughes, McIntyre, Pressley, Miller, Duffy, Stubbs

Why have you said "Kris Doolan" when you have then outlined your criteria as "someone with a track record at this level of identifying undiscovered talent, that can develop players and mould them into a team"

Edited by milhouse

3 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Won League 1 with Wigan in England and Manager of the Year - looks very good on a CV and a higher level than his predecessors at Thistle.

Clearly came across very well at a job interview. Not completely surprising he was given the job and I'm not sure his appointment at the time can be hugely criticised.

Chesterfield.