Caldwell Sacked

javeajag

Just now, milhouse said:

Won League 1 with Wigan in England and Manager of the Year - looks very good on a CV and a higher level than his predecessors at Thistle.

Clearly came across very well at a job interview. Not completely surprising he was given the job and I'm not sure his appointment at the time can be hugely criticised.

If you read the Wigan forums he was bought the league 1 title. Very poor until January transfer window, got a load of money got promotion, then sacked 3months into the next season because he had a terrible start. Went to Chesterfield won 3 games out of 29. Sacked again. Talks a good game ,but seems to find it near enough impossible to get results on the park.

5 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Why have you said "Kris Doolan" when you have then outlined your criteria as "someone with a track record at this level of identifying undiscovered talent, that can develop players and mould them into a team"

Part of the reason I put him quite far down the list is becasuse there are parts of the remit that he is unable to fulfil. As you say he has no track record however if the canidates further up my list are unavailable he at least would, I think, understand the ethos of the club and that it needs to be recruiting young local talent not shipping in jobbing lower English league players or a load of veterans looking for a last pay day.

17 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Won League 1 with Wigan in England and Manager of the Year - looks very good on a CV and a higher level than his predecessors at Thistle.

Clearly came across very well at a job interview. Not completely surprising he was given the job and I'm not sure his appointment at the time can be hugely criticised.

He had been a manager in England for part of 5 different seasons - 4 of those seasons resulted in relegation, 1 in promotion

His appointment was criticised by many at the time, in my view rightly

32 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

McCall? Don’t think there would be that much division on his appointment. He knows the division inside out - I think Lennon has only managed in this league once- don’t get me wrong I’d be very happy with Lennon but McCall would be my first choice 

I would be quite happy with him myself. I think in pure footballing terms, he is the standout candidate.

However, for some, there is baggage surrounding his last departure which probably mean he will not be a universally popular candidate - and that is why I think Lennon is less divisive.

But I, personally, would be happy with McCall.

3 minutes ago, jaf said:

I would be quite happy with him myself. I think in pure footballing terms, he is the standout candidate.

However, for some, there is baggage surrounding his last departure which probably mean he will not be a universally popular candidate - and that is why I think Lennon is less divisive.

But I, personally, would be happy with McCall.

Out of likes- good post - I agree McCall would be the standout but if Ayr say no would be happy with Danny’s appointment 

• Like 1

I welcomed Caldwell's appointment but had doubts by the end of his first week...the apology to Chesterfield and the views of their fans, then his first team selection, poor result and his reaction. I had given up on him long ago and am relieved that he has gone.

There is no automatic connection between bringing in a new manager and an improvement in results but whereas I thought there was a nucleus of a decent team when Caldwell took over,  he has left us in a bit of a mess. My preference would be Stephen Craigan or Ian McCall...Danny Lennon would be ok...not keen on the Usual Suspects - I think Bookies have a cut and paste List for every vacancy that comes up.

There has been a lot of mince posted on here over the last year or so and some tedious and unnecessary personal abuse. I was regularly irritated by the Caldwell Apologists because my enthusiasm for watching the team was being drained but we are all Thistle Fans with a real passion for our special wee club.

I wonder if it all hinged on the Ayr game, had the 2 sendings  off been avoided then it looked like we would have won and that might have given something to build on.  If I recall rightly we might have bagged the now Dundee Utd manager.    Still that's all academic now.    

Interesting to see how the posters on this forum as parochial as supporters of other clubs, is it really crucial that there is a Thistle connection?    Someone who meets the criteria is what matters.    Stevie Clarke was a left-field choice for Killie and I don't think had a Killie connection.

I'm I the only one seeing the bigger picture here or does everyone else know something I don't? I was happy enough in the short term to persevere with Caldwell. Not sure the players were fully invested and there was a lot of forum/social media hate. He's been given his jotters and I'm not gonna shed a tear but who in their right mind of any standing is gonna take this job. These goons in charge are desperate to sell our club down the river asap to New City Captial, yet they are going to start the search asap for a new manager? I can only see 2 outcomes here. We get a short term end of season appointment or we get a New City Capital manager in. All this talk of McCall, Lennon etc surely must be miles wide of the mark. What am I missing, please enlighten me?

12 minutes ago, macaroon said:

I wonder if it all hinged on the Ayr game, had the 2 sendings  off been avoided then it looked like we would have won and that might have given something to build on.  If I recall rightly we might have bagged the now Dundee Utd manager.    Still that's all academic now.    

Interesting to see how the posters on this forum as parochial as supporters of other clubs, is it really crucial that there is a Thistle connection?    Someone who meets the criteria is what matters.    Stevie Clarke was a left-field choice for Killie and I don't think had a Killie connection.

He grew up a Kilmarnock fan and didn't / doesn't need the money after his career down south. Not sure there's a Thistle fan in a similar position in management.

1 minute ago, The Legend Blows said:

I'm I the only one seeing the bigger picture here or does everyone else know something I don't? I was happy enough in the short term to persevere with Caldwell. Not sure the players were fully invested and there was a lot of forum/social media hate. He's been given his jotters and I'm not gonna shed a tear but who in their right mind of any standing is gonna take this job. These goons in charge are desperate to sell our club down the river asap to New City Captial, yet they are going to start the search asap for a new manager? I can only see 2 outcomes here. We get a short term end of season appointment or we get a New City Capital manager in. All this talk of McCall, Lennon etc surely must be miles wide of the mark. What am I missing, please enlighten me?

Tomorrow's hangover following tonight's euphoria? :(

5 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Your medication, by the looks of it.

1 hour ago, jagfaelivi said:

Management has not been kind to Danny Lennon. He looks like a man twenty years older than he actually is. If he gets it I hope we don't age the wee man further. Likeable lad.

Similar thinking from me two or three seasons ago. Was present at the Recs a couple of times when Danny was taking absolute pelters from Alloa fans. That may not sound too upsetting till you realise the fella was only yards away from those hounding him. Jags managers can at least console themselves with being on the other side of the pitch when the vitriol gets tossed about. The man looked totally shattered. I was thinking then that Danny would make a fine Jags assistant manager, youth coach, absolutely anything other than being thrown into the hot seat at Firhill or for that matter any full time club.

You say he looks 20 year older than he actually is. The other week he played as sub in the Glasgow Cup and a few days later put in a fair stint for a Jags Select when they played Maryhill Jnrs. Doesn't look a day over his 50 years and as fit as a fiddle. Neither does he look the least bit stressed out. Think perhaps we should be re-evaluating our opinions. 

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

It was a different choice.  Young.  Great football career. Good speaker. 

However, myself I'm good at job interviews as i used to interview a lot so nicked all the best bits from interviewees.  That led to me getting 2 jobs in 2 years I was not suited for and having to leave.

27 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

I doubt if the takeover will take place at all , think that’s why David Beattie acted as he did , if the takeover was imminent let the new owners deal with Caldwell ( pay off etc ) that would have been much easier for all concerned.

It’s now time to rebuild the Club , have a plan , will we have an Academy? , if we do ,I believe Stephen Craigan should be involved as his track record at youth level is good , giving the young players a pathway to the first team.

If there is no Academy as such then it’s got to be McCall / Doolan for me .

McCall has got an eye for a player and Dools is already a good coach albeit at youth level .

Basically No man management skills. Might know drills and patterns, but the greatest skill is how to man manage. Sad for the boy, if only we had been as quick with the previous Phanny. Lambie's deid and we`re in bother. Only one man left to save us now..................................Oh Jackie McNamara........