Caldwell Sacked

javeajag

2 hours ago, ChiThistle said:

Toss this out there for debate....

What if we went way against the grain and hired Shelley Kerr?

Well worth thinking about, i'd say.

My reservation would be that, as far as I know, she has no club management experience.

She did well to get the women to the World cup, but it all seemed to fall apart once they got there, and she seemed to have a major bust-up with the players.

She certainly talked a good game when she appeared at that fans' night we had in the AR lounge a few months ago.

(But then again, so does Caldwell !)

Just now, Rid Skwerr said:

Well worth thinking about, i'd say.

My reservation would be that, as far as I know, she has no club management experience.

She did well to get the women to the World cup, but it all seemed to fall apart once they got there, and she seemed to have a major bust-up with the players.

She certainly talked a good game when she appeared at that fans' night we had in the AR lounge a few months ago.

(But then again, so does Caldwell !)

She managed Stirling Uni in the lowland league.

No previous baggage thanks - I don't think the cosy appointment of an ex-Jag should be considered - should be someone with no ties to the club & a proven track record. 

Whilst Caldwell has rightly been shown the door, the players need their collective arses booted up and down Firhill Road until they realise they have a job to do - it's been on the slide for nearly 3 years now & they should be punted/replaced in January if not up to the challenge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gianlucatoni said:

No previous baggage thanks - I don't think the cosy appointment of an ex-Jag should be considered - should be someone with no ties to the club & a proven track record. 

Whilst Caldwell has rightly been shown the door, the players need their collective arses booted up and down Firhill Road until they realise they have a job to do - it's been on the slide for nearly 3 years now & they should be punted/replaced in January if not up to the challenge. 

Got to disagree, someone who knows the Club is a big advantage and who also relates to the fans straightaway is huge . A Mcall/ Doolan partnership would be good  , both know the League and the players, McCall is a coach we know who can improve players ( Shankland, Rose , Mcdaid etc ) and with the transfer window closed maybe McCall would help some of our players step up .

If we’re looking longer term and utilising the Academy, I think Stephen Craigan is worth a shout , he helped bring players like Hastie , Cadden , Campbell , Turnbull etc through to the first team at Motherwell.

Going back to Archie isn’t going to help us unless it’s just as an interim appointment until the “ takeover “happens , if it actually does .

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

I’d be happy with McCall but not sure he’d leave Ayr to be honest. Not convinced by Danny Lennon. Would far rather have Archie back - for what’s its worth i don’t think Scott P was a great assistant, so Archie with someone else as his as assistant would be fine with me. 

Once youve gone you cant come back.....

I like the idea of McCall + Doolan but...aside from the compensation for McCall. I do think he would like to come back but...there have been lots of suggestions about the challenges when he left the club under a bit of a cloud last time. Am not sure if that is all resolved with the remaining members on the board.

Also as regards Doolan - he'll want to keep playing. Not sure he is ready/wanting a mgmt role just yet. In addition...how can we sign a player who is already under contract?

In summary - great idea but don't think the timing will work for Doolan. 

On 9/19/2019 at 12:17 AM, jags on tour said:

Never want to see a man lose his job obviously but it’s the right decision. Caldwell’s managerial career is over for good now and he will now need to get lucky with a media post and all the best to him, but he was totally out his depth.

I was quite happy when he was appointed as he was someone new, young, enthusiastic, had his own ideas and sounded like he had an identity of how we would play, he talked a great game but we just couldn’t do it on the park. Going into a season with a strike force of  Miller, Jones and Mansell and expecting to challenge for the league was ludicrous. Jones never kicked a baw for anyone previously and for us and has had loads of injuries, Mansell was signed off the back of a goal at QOTS  because we stayed up on the last day, I think GC was as pished as some of the fans that day to offer him a new contract.

This season, we couldn’t beat part time Alloa who had a new manager in charge for first time, can’t beat part time Arbroath, led against DUTD at half time and lost, led 2-0 vs a terrible Morton with 20 mins to go and still lost then led twice against Ayr and lost 3-2. Just not good enough. Embarrassing.

Can’t see why folk want Archie and Jackie back, both managerial careers have been ruined since leaving us. Aye we had something a bit special but not anymore, folk are just remembering the good times after Dools testimonial, I cant see folk being happy at re-signing Balatoni, Craigen, Craig and Forbes etc.

Get IM in, boot a few baws, get Firhill rocking again with a manager that knows about football and knows how to play to their strengths, instead of some pretend football philosopher Martinez wannabee. Ayr lost Shankland and a few others and I expected them to be relegation material this year, yet they have lost about 40 goals a season from their team, just beat dundee utd and are joint top, that’s not luck, its good proper man management and hard work in training, instead of just believing ‘ my way is the right way of playing and I’m not changing it for anyone!’ 

Great post - agree 100%

Ian McCall did a good job at Firhill previously and just as importantly has done brilliantly with Ayr.

Archie is a Firhill legend but bringing him back simply would not work. Jackie Mac did a decent job at Firhill but has struggled since. How many Jags fans think Jackie would have won the league the year he bailed? I think the players dug deep to get behind Archie for the best end to any season in living memory.

Danny Lennon was treated shamefully by St Mirren and is doing well with Clyde but I rank him behind McCall. We could do much worse though.

Appointing Shelly Kerr would just cement our status as a joke club making politically correct gestures and virtue signalling instead of actually trying to get a manager who might be able to get a team playing in a way that might get us up. As for Archibald. Yes he achieved much but the last 18 months of his reign were horrific. Horrific signings, awful football and even worse a total lack of fight. We went down to livi without even putting up a fight. Just remember some of the signings and shudder. Quitongo, max melbourne, cammy Bell, tam scobie, Danny Devine,  Brice ntawmbe, Bailey cargill, Miles storey, the Czech lad at the back, mutumbo, Martin Woods to name but a few. There’s not a player among them

• Like 4

Didn,t think I would be back up to Firhill again this quickly.  

I hope the Caldwell, Low era is well past us. We shouldn,t be something we are not and somehow I didn,t feel we were Thistle for a while there.  The low point for me was the when Kris Doolan was let go.  I just switched off to Jagalonia.  Hopefully can get the fire back in me belly and just enjoy being a jag again. Win ,lose or draw.

Mona Theestle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kingleo said:

Appointing Shelly Kerr would just cement our status as a joke club making politically correct gestures and virtue signalling instead of actually trying to get a manager who might be able to get a team playing in a way that might get us up. 

A politically correct gesture?! Virtue signalling?!!!

She is actually an intelligent manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She once made a valid point about managing the womens game. Because it is normally played at less of a pace as the mens game, and also relies on less physicality, tactics are more of a priority.. Logical progression from that suggests, even if only in generalisation, women's team managers have to be more tactically astute than their equivalents in the men's game.

• Haha 1

I honestly can't believe Shelly Kerr is being mentioned let alone discussed as a potential target for our next manager. Yeah, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that but after a horrendous 2/3 years and after a calamitous reign by our last manager we need to get this appointment absolutely right or who knows where thistle might end up. We're just not in the position to be taking a gamble like that when there's going to be a long list of good candidates with the desired experience. Another thing I find equally as bizarre is the clamour from some to get macnamara back. The guy sold us out first chance he got and left the boot in while he was at it and he's done pretty much nothing in footballing management since. Yeah, he assembled a young and exciting squad and he had thistle playing probably the best football I've seen in my lifetime but I firmly believe it was Archie that won us the league that year due to McNamaras inability to find that consistent winning formula away from home. I'd rather we stuck with Caldwell taking the team than Kerr or McNamara. For me it's got to be McCall. At a push I'd take Derek Adams. Don't know much about him recently but from what I remember I reckon he'd get a bit of organisation and direction back into the (potentially talented)squad he'd inherit plus he knows the division and Scottish football well enough. 

• Like 3

The Scotland's Women National Team managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of qualifying for the next round.

No thanks. Not to mention the dressing room disquiet wildly reported after a few post tournament drinks.

We took a punt with Caldwell this would probably end badly so a big NO at this time for me.