Caldwell Sacked

javeajag

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

sad isn't it, nobody can take a joke anymore these days - always seeking out new ways of being offended

Before hiding your post I read it to my wife to check what her thoughts were. As I say, incredibly misogynistic and just not very funny. I'd go so far as to suggesting you feel women aren't important or even useful members of society making that kind of joke.

There's now a couple of pages criticising Shelley Kerr with some defending her as a choice. The first page offers criticism of her team's performance and ability to maintain a happy dressing room through man management. The second page suggests she can't do it because she is a woman. That's why you're accused of being sexist, even before the worst of the posts was hidden.

For what it's worth, I think Kerr's qualification record is exactly what we need right now, but the dressing room fallout isn't so dissimilar to Caldwell's recent treatment of our senior players over the past 12 months from the outside. But to question her experience? She's managed in the men's game one league below where Danny Lennon has been managing for the past couple of years and she's taken a Scotland team to a world cup. So she's experienced enough. Question her record instead of comparing her level of experience with a terrier. 

• Like 1

There's no reason why a woman can't manage a men's team. If our society and culture continues to progress then it will happen, and eventually we'll look back view it as ridiculous that it was ever any other way. However the reality I think is that it will be a particularly tough job for the first few, while it is very unusual. Excessive press questioning, the question of how players will react, the very fact that there are few others in the same situation to turn to for moral support.

It would take a very strong and mature and resilient character. I'm not actually convinced that Shelley Kerr's performance at the World Cup would suggest that she is that character. Though you never really know what goes on in the background.

From a Thistle point of view, I suppose I'd applaud the progressive open-mindedness, but I think it would be very risky, and I'm not sure that risky is what we need. It's a no from me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, allyo said:

From a Thistle point of view, I suppose I'd applaud the progressive open-mindedness, but I think it would be very risky, and I'm not sure that risky is what we need. It's a no from me.

This is my view, exactly.

I've always thought Thistle are the team for the poets, anarchists, dreamers and downright weirdo's. It's why I love Kingsley as the mascot - his weirdness reflects what the club's about, in my opinion.

So appointing a woman as the manager would be fine by me, it would fit with the character of the club, as I see it, IN OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES.

Where we are now requires a safer approach, although there's no guarantee with whoever comes in. So rather than arguing about Shelley Kerr can we just go back to worrying about Lee Clark.

I don't have a particularly issue with a female manager. If he/she is good enough then get them in.

However watching Scotland Women at the world cup should dispell any notion that Shelley Kerr is the answer for us. We were 3-0 up against Argentina and only needed a win to get through. She should have made subsitions as soon as the 3rd went in to protect her back 4 as her midfield were exhausted. However she looked like a rabbit in the headlights and did nothing. If the game had gone on for another few minutes Argentina would have won.

RE: experience with Stirling Uni  -whilst its shows she has experience of managing a mens team, she has no experience of a managing a proffesional club.

Added to that she's had to apologise to her own team for how she treated them at the world cup and you don't exactly have an impressive CV.

Not even close to being the required standard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allyo said:

There's no reason why a woman can't manage a men's team. If our society and culture continues to progress then it will happen, and eventually we'll look back view it as ridiculous that it was ever any other way. However the reality I think is that it will be a particularly tough job for the first few, while it is very unusual. Excessive press questioning, the question of how players will react, the very fact that there are few others in the same situation to turn to for moral support.

It would take a very strong and mature and resilient character. I'm not actually convinced that Shelley Kerr's performance at the World Cup would suggest that she is that character. Though you never really know what goes on in the background.

I think the appointment of any new manager is risky. The important thing is to decide what the objectives are. Is it to get promoted this year ? Is it to avoid relegation again ? Is it to make steady progress.The answer to these questions should determine the type of manager we appoint.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, milhouse said:

Can you explain to me what "the Thistle spirit" is and how it is demonstrated?

It's intangible, but it exists. It was demonstrated at various times over the years by teams put out on the park by eg Davie McParland, John Lambie and to some extent by Bertie Auld and Archie in the earlier part of his tenure. 

I think a lot of Jags fans understand what is meant by the term. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think the appointment of any new manager is risky. The important thing is to decide what the objectives are. Is it to get promoted this year ? Is it to avoid relegation again ? Is it to make steady progress.The answer to these questions should determine the type of manager we appoint.

Think you’re right , I would prefer if we utilised the Academy better  like possibly Motherwell/ Hamilton  rather than try to go for the quick fix of promotion then get relegated a year or two later.

6 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

It's intangible, but it exists. It was demonstrated at various times over the years by teams put out on the park by eg Davie McParland, John Lambie and to some extent by Bertie Auld and Archie in the earlier part of his tenure. 

By all accounts, last Sunday was a public display of the Thistle Spirit. 

Scott Allison seems to get it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandy said:

Snowflakes, how very cutting.

It is absolutely nothing to do with protecting women or giving them special treatment.  The ‘humour’ displays values that belong in the 18th Century or in some supporters of both halves of the arse cheeks.

This is Thistle, we are an inclusive club. Deal with it lads. 

still waiting on you pointing out the sexist crap....

18 minutes ago, AlgarveJag said:

By all accounts, last Sunday was a public display of the Thistle Spirit. 

Scott Allison seems to get it 

Agree with this! Nice to listen to someone who can talk sense in an eloquent way about the situation at Firhill, and give a reasonable 'summing -up' how the club needs to react today and over the next few weeks.

Regarding the 'Thistle Spirit', the best person to put that into words would be someone like Bob Reid, but failing that, there is an article from the Herald that might go some way to explaining, I have attached a link:-

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12272772.game-for-a-laugh/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twinny said:

Before hiding your post I read it to my wife to check what her thoughts were. As I say, incredibly misogynistic and just not very funny. I'd go so far as to suggesting you feel women aren't important or even useful members of society making that kind of joke.

There's now a couple of pages criticising Shelley Kerr with some defending her as a choice. The first page offers criticism of her team's performance and ability to maintain a happy dressing room through man management. The second page suggests she can't do it because she is a woman. That's why you're accused of being sexist, even before the worst of the posts was hidden.

For what it's worth, I think Kerr's qualification record is exactly what we need right now, but the dressing room fallout isn't so dissimilar to Caldwell's recent treatment of our senior players over the past 12 months from the outside. But to question her experience? She's managed in the men's game one league below where Danny Lennon has been managing for the past couple of years and she's taken a Scotland team to a world cup. So she's experienced enough. Question her record instead of comparing her level of experience with a terrier. 

Show me one post where i have said she can't do it because she is a woman? She can't do it cause she isn't qualified to do it, and why you had to show your wife i don't know! Hiding my posts just shows that i am right, it means you feel others cannot make up their minds and you have a need to hide them and post about them based on lies to try come accross as being the better man.

She managed stirling uni in the lowland league which is 2 below Danny Lennon, Danny Lennon has done much more in the game. Hey you could have looked at Gary O'Connor who managed in the lowland league at the same time who has more football experience should we consider him as well? Yeah she took Scotland womans team to a world cup big wow, the womans game for the best part is lowland league level but if you want to aspire to being bottom feeders for thistle then crack on.

Btw man management, bit sexist no? Surely you mean people management!

1 hour ago, Blackpool Jags said:

By this definition it is only demonstrated by successful teams ?

Probably another example of the feeling of togetherness was Save the Jags

Scott Allison struck exactly the right tone in his interview.

Last Sunday reminded us what Partick Thistle is about. Gary Caldwell may have failed in the end, but he has assembled a decent squad of players.

Let's turn out in strength and get behind them today and help them bring home the 3 points, then maybe dare to dream about bursting the Quadruple Treble on Wednesday night!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ronnie Jag said:

Scott Allison struck exactly the right tone in his interview.

Last Sunday reminded us what Partick Thistle is about. Gary Caldwell may have failed in the end, but he has assembled a decent squad of players.

Let's turn out in strength and get behind them today and help them bring home the 3 points, then maybe dare to dream about bursting the Quadruple Treble on Wednesday night!

Good post. I see it is only your second post. Welcome to the forum.

For those who think it’s sexist not to think Kerr would be able to manage thistle it’s the experience thing. To have managed Stirling uni and a team that is potentially able to be one of the top 12 in the country are two totally different things. If I was a footballer the first thing I’d want to know is what level has the manager played at. I know mourinho has had great success without a playing career but it’s rare. If I’m sat there and the previous boss of a university team is telling me what to do I’d be sat there laughing. Doesn’t matter if it was a man or a woman. My previous manager at my job had never done what I do. He was just a manager. We did nothing he told us to. My new boss has done the job I do so instantly I’ve afforded him more respect. He knows what I’m thinking and vice versa. It’s human nature

4 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

For those who think it’s sexist not to think Kerr would be able to manage thistle it’s the experience thing. To have managed Stirling uni and a team that is potentially able to be one of the top 12 in the country are two totally different things. If I was a footballer the first thing I’d want to know is what level has the manager played at. I know mourinho has had great success without a playing career but it’s rare. If I’m sat there and the previous boss of a university team is telling me what to do I’d be sat there laughing. Doesn’t matter if it was a man or a woman. My previous manager at my job had never done what I do. He was just a manager. We did nothing he told us to. My new boss has done the job I do so instantly I’ve afforded him more respect. He knows what I’m thinking and vice versa. It’s human nature

I don't necessarily agree that it's rare.

Brendan Rodgers? Arsene Wenger? Sven-Goran Eriksson? Andre Villas-Boas? Roy Evans? Mark Warburton (ahem!!)?

There will be plenty of other examples of managers who have not played at a high level but who have been able to credibly impart knowledge onto players than others who have memorised the Largs coaching manual and have no idea how to get the best out of a human being.

For every Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Pep Guardiola and Antonio Conte there are a multitude of failures who played at a high level such as Willie Miller, Derek Johnstone, Murdo MacLeod, Roy Aitken. John Greig and Gary Caldwell (and that's just in Scotland - other countries will have their own examples).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/gary-caldwell-statement2/

Want a good laugh - read this.

hahahahaha - delusional to the very end. 

Says a lot thats he hasn't mentioned David Beattie which probably means it was Beattie who dumped Caldwell.

If so David Beattie has just justified why we needed to bin JLow and re-instate himeslef as chairman. If Beattie now gets McCall in and somehow produces the funds to back him then he might just be showing the leadership thats been missing for the last 2 years.

Also the statement is very much an attempt to say its not his fault if we get relegated when he really know he's made big mistakes in recruitment.

5 minutes ago, laukat said:

Says a lot thats he hasn't mentioned David Beattie which probably means it was Beattie who dumped Caldwell.

If so David Beattie has just justified why we needed to bin JLow and re-instate himeslef as chairman. If Beattie now gets McCall in and somehow produces the funds to back him then he might just be showing the leadership thats been missing for the last 2 years.

Also the statement is very much an attempt to say its not his fault if we get relegated when he really know he's made big mistakes in recruitment.

Out of likes.

30 minutes ago, Big Col said:

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/gary-caldwell-statement2/

Want a good laugh - read this.

hahahahaha - delusional to the very end. 

Preparing for his next interview. Any club who takes him on deserves everything they get. He should come with a warning,'This manager will damage your club'. Watched his legacy today. Only signs players with a certain character.:help: