Caldwell Sacked

javeajag

Only in football management...

In any other business experience is recognised and appreciated. It's not everything but it's something. Seems that in football its only your failures that are remembered (regardless of th extent f your successes). 

McCall for me but I'm still waiting for someone to explain why John Hughes is such an offensive idea.

And Jackie McNamara... Been watching Thstle for 35 years and he put together the best team I've seen, so I'm struggling o care about what he did at York City.

• Like 1

Never want to see a man lose his job obviously but it’s the right decision. Caldwell’s managerial career is over for good now and he will now need to get lucky with a media post and all the best to him, but he was totally out his depth.

I was quite happy when he was appointed as he was someone new, young, enthusiastic, had his own ideas and sounded like he had an identity of how we would play, he talked a great game but we just couldn’t do it on the park. Going into a season with a strike force of  Miller, Jones and Mansell and expecting to challenge for the league was ludicrous. Jones never kicked a baw for anyone previously and for us and has had loads of injuries, Mansell was signed off the back of a goal at QOTS  because we stayed up on the last day, I think GC was as pished as some of the fans that day to offer him a new contract.

This season, we couldn’t beat part time Alloa who had a new manager in charge for first time, can’t beat part time Arbroath, led against DUTD at half time and lost, led 2-0 vs a terrible Morton with 20 mins to go and still lost then led twice against Ayr and lost 3-2. Just not good enough. Embarrassing.

Can’t see why folk want Archie and Jackie back, both managerial careers have been ruined since leaving us. Aye we had something a bit special but not anymore, folk are just remembering the good times after Dools testimonial, I cant see folk being happy at re-signing Balatoni, Craigen, Craig and Forbes etc.

Get IM in, boot a few baws, get Firhill rocking again with a manager that knows about football and knows how to play to their strengths, instead of some pretend football philosopher Martinez wannabee. Ayr lost Shankland and a few others and I expected them to be relegation material this year, yet they have lost about 40 goals a season from their team, just beat dundee utd and are joint top, that’s not luck, its good proper man management and hard work in training, instead of just believing ‘ my way is the right way of playing and I’m not changing it for anyone!’ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Credit to Beattie for adding the final slide to Caldo's PowerPoint presentation. 

McNamara: no feckin chance. Our self esteem might've declined over the past two years, but not to the extent of taking that wee fecker back.

Danny Lennon or Ian McCall. Let's get the Thistle spirit back into Thistle. 

Well, I’m not going to gloat but it was time Caldwell departed; he should never have been appointed. He’d clearly lost the dressing room. 

Lennon or McCall with Dools as Assistant would be a welcome move. Let’s get the good times back at Firhill and get the team moving up the table. 

7 hours ago, allyo said:

In any other business experience is recognised and appreciated. It's not everything but it's something. Seems that in football its only your failures that are remembered (regardless of th extent f your successes). 

McCall for me but I'm still waiting for someone to explain why John Hughes is such an offensive idea.

And Jackie McNamara... Been watching Thstle for 35 years and he put together the best team I've seen, so I'm struggling o care about what he did at York City.

I wouldn't be averse to McNamara, but he does seem a bit of a snake and the way he left and then nicked Erskine still rankles with a big section of Jags fans. Hughes is just marmite, you like him or hate him.

7 hours ago, allyo said:

Do you think it is remotely possible that Beattie would reappoint him after the dispute over the promotion bonus ?

7 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Never want to see a man lose his job obviously but it’s the right decision. Caldwell’s managerial career is over for good now and he will now need to get lucky with a media post and all the best to him, but he was totally out his depth.

I was quite happy when he was appointed as he was someone new, young, enthusiastic, had his own ideas and sounded like he had an identity of how we would play, he talked a great game but we just couldn’t do it on the park. Going into a season with a strike force of  Miller, Jones and Mansell and expecting to challenge for the league was ludicrous. Jones never kicked a baw for anyone previously and for us and has had loads of injuries, Mansell was signed off the back of a goal at QOTS  because we stayed up on the last day, I think GC was as pished as some of the fans that day to offer him a new contract.

This season, we couldn’t beat part time Alloa who had a new manager in charge for first time, can’t beat part time Arbroath, led against DUTD at half time and lost, led 2-0 vs a terrible Morton with 20 mins to go and still lost then led twice against Ayr and lost 3-2. Just not good enough. Embarrassing.

Can’t see why folk want Archie and Jackie back, both managerial careers have been ruined since leaving us. Aye we had something a bit special but not anymore, folk are just remembering the good times after Dools testimonial, I cant see folk being happy at re-signing Balatoni, Craigen, Craig and Forbes etc.

Get IM in, boot a few baws, get Firhill rocking again with a manager that knows about football and knows how to play to their strengths, instead of some pretend football philosopher Martinez wannabee. Ayr lost Shankland and a few others and I expected them to be relegation material this year, yet they have lost about 40 goals a season from their team, just beat dundee utd and are joint top, that’s not luck, its good proper man management and hard work in training, instead of just believing ‘ my way is the right way of playing and I’m not changing it for anyone!’ 

I might be missing your point about Martinez - but doe he not coach the country that is no 1 in the world ?

The great John Lambie is a swear word in Falkirk. He had a poor time there yet came back to us and performed another miracle. The animosity towards Jackie is astounding. Would we have went on to win the league I don't know, but he led us to a cup final, even if it was the Ramsdens. McCall signed some good players but Jackie got them playing. In the 4 years or so McCall was in charge we finished 2nd once and took rangers to a replay in the Scottish Cup. Memorable as it was, we didnt achieve very much and I'm not sure why there is such a clamour for him over the man who brought the feel good factor back to Firhill. 

55 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I might be missing your point about Martinez - but doe he not coach the country that is no 1 in the world ?

Aye but he’s a decent coach and has a good track record and can implement what he wants, Caldwell has had a terrible record but still thinks he’s doing the right thing yet he’s just been Bobby Linn’d for the 3rd time in as many years!

8 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Good post. Totally agree with it.

1 hour ago, Jagsman said:

Mccall started up our youth academy was 1 of the 1st things he wanted also found dools n erskine

He signed them on someone else's recommendation. Not having a dig, just stating the facts. The great Bobby Dinnie is too often overlooked when the signing of Doolan and Erskine crops up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Aye but he’s a decent coach and has a good track record and can implement what he wants, Caldwell has had a terrible record but still thinks he’s doing the right thing yet he’s just been Bobby Linn’d for the 3rd time in as many years!

Ok. I obviously did miss your point. You are having a go at Caldwell because he was trying to copy Martinez’s method and failing as opposed to having a go at the method itself ?