Dunfermline Game

Lambies Lost Doo

12 minutes ago, scotty said:

Why was he sacked this week? 

2 points from 5 league games. Players not performing. Baffling tactics. Inability to make positive changes during a match. No sign of anything improving. Didn’t have the confidence of the players. Signed a bunch of diddies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stillresigned said:

I have being going to Firhill regularly since the mid- 70s. In that time I have witnessed some unbelievably-bad football: I’ve really got to say that for a mixture of inability and lack of effort today would be right up there with the worst of them.

it would not be exaggerating to say that Partick Thistle are in full blown  crisis mode. For the first time in a helluva long time:  I  simply cannot pick any positive feature whatsoever from today’s fiasco..

this 100%

29 minutes ago, scotty said:

Again I'll say that it's the timing that concerns me. Why was he sacked this week? Is there something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about that a sacking took the public's and fans' eyes off?

Even if Caldwell had been kept on today , it would only have papered over the cracks , Caldwell’s recruitment has been hopeless it’s been evident for months that we need a holding midfield player with a nasty streak , I would have taken Pates back in a minute, he absolutely controlled that game today . Need more goals in the team and possibly a more physical approach upfront.

Re stuff behind the scenes, think Scott Allison mentioned it cleverly in his interview, as a football club we should all be in it together, and unfortunately on and off the park that wasn’t happening.

Edited by jlsarmy

4 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

Only lasted to half time and then gave up. I know all the new coaching manuals say play the ball out from the back. but you have to have the players to carry it out. Thistle need to get the ball into the opponents half as soon as possible, and then start playing football

This new rule of being able to play about in the area with a bye kick is hopeless for us. We do it at most bye kicks and we end up with a hurried boot up the park or we lose possession near our goal. Dunfermline just took their bye kicks the old way time we got back to that.

A warm sunny afternoon...Caldwell gone.. opposition in poor form...what could possibly go wrong? Well it was one of the most dispiriting displays I have seen for many years. 

We actually started quite brightly...there were four good crosses across the face of the goal which I thought wistfully that Kris Doolan might have scored from...and as Keven Nisbet did at the other end. Thereafter it was a burst balloon with an embarrassing second goal and once we conceded the third early in the second half, we could have all have gone home...and many did. Dunfermline were at best competent...they won easily.

As I posted during the week, Caldwell has left us in an awful mess...the substitutes bench looked bare and so it proved. There are several players who are relegation standard...Kakay, De Vita, Mansell, Gordon & Robson...McGinty culpable for two of the goals. Fox, O'Ware and Cardle very disappointing performances. Zanatts ran out of steam/ideas and Bannigan and Cole(who looked as if he might be a footballer) had a thankless task finding someone other than the hapless Kakay to pass to...Miller lack of enthusiasm for his temporary role as co-manager in his radio interview was matched by his lack of contribution on the park.

I left Firhill thinking that we were facing years in the wilderness and that I might never see a decent Thistle Team again...but the rumours of McCall and Archibald taking over are a much needed injection of hope that we might get better.

• Like 1

Mcginty’s distribution is good but his positioning and actual defending are chronic..he’s never a captain...Oware has also shown very little whenever he’s been on the park..I think here lies our defensive woes with the lack of a defensive midfield general compounding matters.

upfront our creativity is limited to Zanatta and Cardle. It’s so predictable and easy to counter. We have nothing through the middle so can’t mix it up. The spine of the team is non existent.

our squad is very meh in every position, they lack character and fight 

very worrying times and if I was a manager I wouldn’t touch them.

everyone of them should hang their heads in shame after that performance today. Absolute wage thieves 

• Like 1

As I said last week on another thread, the players need their arses booted up and down the Firhill Road too... 

... however after todays performance, most of them need their arses booted down St George's Road, Garscube Road, through the Coo-caddens & onto the M8 & telt no to bother coming back. 

At least it was decent weather :wall:

Edited by gianlucatoni

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Would have thought that was most supporters opinion and also  the BOD ‘s opinion as well or he wouldn’t have been sacked .

What utter drivel you spout > "the guy ripped the arse out of the Club on and off the park with his divisive nature " < Bagging GC is not what I was regretting, simply the fact that he was someone out of his depth . Coming out with utter shyte saying,  'he ripped the heart out of the club' … grow up for fvcks sake. 

3 hours ago, paddy malarkey said:

I reckon Kenny Miller is part of the problem rather than part of the solution  . He's trying to play Fantasy Football on the park . You can see it in his childish histrionics whe it doesn't pan out for him . He also lacks discipline in his positioning  - translated as running about like a headless chicken . He also seems to have brought the same m,alaise to us that he brought to Dundee . But he scores goals .

I think the malaise has been there long before Kenny Miller joined. By my reckoning it’s been here for over 2 years now

I was sort of looking forward to todays game, I thought we might just hit some form and beat a very poor DAFC club, I even predicted a 3-0 result, but the other way. For me it was an ominous feeling that after halftime I really lost interest on what was happening on the park. I simply did not want to watch that group of players wearing PTFC shirts.

It was unfortunate that Penrice had his worst game this year, the other fullback couldn't beat the DAFC defence [6 attempts I counted] and consequently could not get any sort of cross, McGinty either faffed about or 'blootered' the ball as a means of defensive play [I was told he played for Mau U at youth level, it really does not show] …… I could go on and on but anyone who was there knows how utterly poor that team was today.

Tough times for Thistle, as I don't see many wanting to go back and watch a repeat of that sort of performance …. there were 2400 Thistle fans there today, my guess is that number will fall if the way they play does not improve.

4 hours ago, laukat said:

That was a shambles. We looked really good right up until Dunfermline squad and then every single player chucked it. Everyone one of them should be ashamed of themselves and be hanging their head in shame.

Dunfermline are not a good team and were playing with their second choice goalkeeper. We had 62% possession and 1 shot on target. We had zero cutting edge.

Mansell is not a footballer, Cardle looks done, Gordon was anonymous, Kakay has the same defensive frailties as Williamson. Bannigan, Cole, Penrice and O'Ware hid today.

Special mention to Kenny Miller. He did't have a clue what position he was playing in the second hald which takes some doing when he helps pick the team.

Paul Paton was the only leader on the park today. We really could do with a player who revels in doing the nasty parts of the game.

Completely agree, but also I would add that we have become completely predictable.  'The bunnet' had Zanatta sussed last week, you simply put two on him!!

Stevie Crawford would have watched that game on TV and did exactly the same today.

Now I would have thought the management team at PTFC would have considered this defensive tactic as a possibility and told Zanatta  to consider varying his position from his normal left wing to the middle or the right. Zanatta has the talent to open up defences for fun, so would you not consider some training ground moves to vary the way we attack other teams? 

The real sad thing about this is the Dunfermline support we not looking forward to this game at all, they thought they were facing a serious 'dooing'

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

What utter drivel you spout > "the guy ripped the arse out of the Club on and off the park with his divisive nature " < Bagging GC is not what I was regretting, simply the fact that he was someone out of his depth . Coming out with utter shyte saying,  'he ripped the heart out of the club' … grow up for fvcks sake. 

Sorry mate , talk to people within Firhill , the treatment of Erskine and Doolan  , the disconnect between Caldwell and some of the Academy staff ,  sponsors pulling out , crowds down etc

I totally stand by what I said .

Maybe have to agree to disagree 

• Like 1

The team is clearly bereft of confidence and you could drive a truck through our defence. As others have commented, the first 20 minutes or so were encouraging. There was an urgency about our play and we looked dangerous. A better final ball would have seen us a couple of goals up. But we collapsed after the first goal. 

I still think the squad has quality, but the new management team (and I really hope it's McCall and Archie) are going to have to prioritise ensuring that our defence is properly drilled. 

• Like 1

Having slept on it and tried to come to a more objective view of yesterday's game, I can honestly say that I think that was the worst performance from a Thistle team in years, worse even than the two play-off games against Livingston.

In his pre-match interview, Scott Allison said that they'd had training sessions with the team, not coaching sessions and that was obvious throughout. That was Gary Caldwell's team playing to the same shape with the same tactics and the same mentality - just without Gary Caldwell micro-managing from the sidelines.

There's no point in over-analysing what was wrong yesterday, it's been done to death on here in recent months. We can at least be optimistic that whoever comes in will change things signicantly.

What I found more depressing is what yesterday told us about some of our players. You can't hide who you are on a football pitch and yesterday showed some of our squad in a very poor light. 

Pass marks to all those who tried their best - Kakay's inability to get the ball past the first defender was frustrating, but at least he kept trying. Cardle and Millar put in loads of effort without much result, but they kept on trying, Zamatta tried to play his game with little support. Even Bannigan tried, though God knows he's looking more a limited player with each game and he's certainly no leader on the park 

There's a few others, though, who need to have a look at themselves. I have a great deal of respect for what James Penrice has achieved at such a young age, but yesterday I thought he chucked it early on. McGinty is obviously limited in his abilities, but his lack of concentration yesterday was shocking. O'Ware either isn't the player that we thought he was, or his injury has affected him really significantly, or he just isn't that bothered about playing for us any more, because these are the only explanations I can come up with for yesterday's performance.

I still think we have individual players who can move this team up the league. The challenge for the new manager will be finding a system that can make best use of their abilities. In the longer term, he might be best advised to find players with bigger hearts.

• Like 1

Now only two possible scenarios. The new manager comes in and somehow turns this around. That would be damning on Calwell. The other scenario is that the squad is so gash it needs gutted. Even more damnning on GC. I've now got a horrible feeling its the latter. One final point it's clear we have went backwards without McDonald and Anderson. 

13 hours ago, sandy said:

The legacy of Caldwell; a pile of shite. 

most posters gave me pelters for criticising his appointment. 

Well then....bottom of the table tonight. Cheers Gary you muppet.

You were right all along Sandy, I never doubted that.

However it will take a while to rid the club of his toxic legacy (though some clown seems to think that because he was punted on Wednesday, everything should have been fine by Saturday).

The toxicity continues, Caldo claims has left the club in great shape with a great squad of players. Still the David Brent of football.

12 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Completely agree, but also I would add that we have become completely predictable.  'The bunnet' had Zanatta sussed last week, you simply put two on him!!

Stevie Crawford would have watched that game on TV and did exactly the same today.

Now I would have thought the management team at PTFC would have considered this defensive tactic as a possibility and told Zanatta  to consider varying his position from his normal left wing to the middle or the right. Zanatta has the talent to open up defences for fun, so would you not consider some training ground moves to vary the way we attack other teams? 

The real sad thing about this is the Dunfermline support we not looking forward to this game at all, they thought they were facing a serious 'dooing'

If you listened to Scott Allison ‘s pre game video you would have heard him say that they did no coaching on Thursday/Friday - only training