McCall returns.

Garscube Road End

4 minutes ago, dibble said:

Great news . Upwards and onwards. Not keen on doolan or esrskine back in a playing capacity. Time to look to the future not the past.  

Both are doing coaching badges, it’s that capacity I think they could help us in. Plus a bit of succession planning for McCall.

Blimey, getting our first choice manager to drop down to the bottom of the league is astounding. I genuinely thought that next season was our best chance of IMC returning.

PS - in the interests of musicality it should be 'Ian McCallys red and yella army', with the extra y.

It makes *perfect sense* to have Doolan and Erskine back. They would be filling the role as mentors to the new generation.

Remember McCall last time had Donnelly and Archie, brought in Rowson, McNamara, Maxwell, Hinchcliffe etc.

Not, with one or two exceptions, absolute stand-outs in this league in their positions, but with a core talent, a maturity and a hunger to prove something in the next stage of their careers in football. We went on about “men v kids #WeGotThis” in our title winning season but the bedrock of that team was wise old heads providing depth and experience to the bench and coaching team.

Loth as I am to say it, if the personalities can be contained it’s also a good reason for keeping Kenny Miller, at least to the end of the season.

Edited by Woodstock Jag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Heard this news in the JFK Library in Boston.

We choose to appoint McCall. Not because being a Jag is easy... but because it is hard.

Ian McCall’s Red’n’yellarmy! :D

Coincidently I heard it on the train back to Boston after watching the Patriots today. They thumped a team in green and white :lol:

45 minutes ago, scotty said:

Not to rain on the parade but when are PTFC going to announce this good news. Ayr have put it on their web site, the BBC have announced it, local Ayrshire papers have announced it, the news is being heralded in Boston so when are the Jags fans going to hear from the club?

Today

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Not to rain on the parade but when are PTFC going to announce this good news. Ayr have put it on their web site, the BBC have announced it, local Ayrshire papers have announced it, the news is being heralded in Boston so when are the Jags fans going to hear from the club?

Ayr haven’t announced that he’s signed, and the papers are of course free to speculate on whatever they like. He is clearly coming, but the club aren’t going to put out a statement until the ink is dry on his contract. And quite rightly. 

• Like 1

I genuinely think that McCall has inherited a better squad from Caldwell than Caldwell did from Archibald. It will not be easy, but I do think McCall at the very least have a semi decent starting 11 capable of keeping in touch with the playoffs up until January where he can make what changes he feels necessary. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I genuinely think that McCall has inherited a better squad from Caldwell than Caldwell did from Archibald. It will not be easy, but I do think McCall at the very least have a semi decent starting 11 capable of keeping in touch with the playoffs up until January where he can make what changes he feels necessary. 

I don't. We already had Sneddon, Penrice, McGinty, O'Ware, Slater, Bannigan, Gordon... and we also had Elliott, Spittal, Fitzpatrick, Erskine, Doolan.

I think we're weaker but let's see what he can do with them.

Great news, IMC is the perfect fit for us, has a lot to do but he has all the skillsets required to get us competing in this league. 

I look forward to seeing the confirmation on the website today. [compensation package still to be agreed by both parties]

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo

Best appointment we could make so well done to Mr Beattie for taking the neccesary action.

I've noticed a couple of people already talking about the potential return of the 'red n yellow army' song. I think that is indicative of 2 things.

First thing is that  to the best of my knowledge the song was never sang whilst Caldwell which was a pretty clear demonstration that he never convinced the fans.

Second thing it says is that we have made an appointment the fans are already behind. That in itself makes a big difference and will produce a different atmosphere at Firhill.

If Archie is part of his management team it would be an extra bonus and be a real sign that the club is starting to heal. I suspect McCall will need most of this season to sort out the mess he's been left so realistically avoiding relegation is still the main task with a run at the playoffs next season.

26 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Am I the only one here who is not a McCall fan ? Always something slightly dodgy about him. That said, he and the club will get my backing.

It looks like it...

I've always liked him, but I won't be hailing him as a returning hero, I'll see what job he does first