Fake Thistle v Us

Barney Rubble

If we get bought out by billionaires and become the Scottish branch of New City Soccer Consortium, who will be Fake Thistle then?

oh no, what has become of me? I've just hijacked a football thread with ownership crap. Sorry!

Okay. First real game for the new regime. Really don't have a view on who should play. Caldwell's left us with no real structure or understanding of the squad's capabilities, so I'm really interested to see what McCall does with them over the first three or four games, to see if an established style or first eleven will emerge.

I don't think that can happen in one game, so for tomorrow I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping we can get some points, and a bit of a confidence boost.

Realistically, iMac should audit the squad he has inherited between now and the next window, and identify the crud and the gaps. Then do what needs to be done using his knowledge of what is available to provide some balance to this squad,

No chancers, no crocks - a balanced squad of 22/23/24 all fit and who can contribute iwhen required.

• Like 1

Watched the queens Dundee game tonight. What struck me was how solid both teams were at the back and how few individual errors defences made something we really need to cut out. Both teams had extra bits of quality from Doran’s Hemmings and dobbie. Think we really miss slater and Harkins to control phases of the game.  We would have lost against either team tonight under Caldwell I reckon. 

1 hour ago, dibble said:

Watched the queens Dundee game tonight. What struck me was how solid both teams were at the back and how few individual errors defences made something we really need to cut out. Both teams had extra bits of quality from Doran’s Hemmings and dobbie. Think we really miss slater and Harkins to control phases of the game.  We would have lost against either team tonight under Caldwell I reckon. 

Agreed, I don't think the team I saw playing against DAFC could have matched either Queens or Dundee for pace, skill or workrate.

IM has a lot of work to do, I didn't catch all of the interview with him during the halftime, but both the 'summarisers' seemed to be neutral in their thoughts on whether he had made a error of judgement in moving from a wining team to a serial loosing team.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Realistically, iMac should audit the squad he has inherited between now and the next window, and identify the crud and the gaps. Then do what needs to be done using his knowledge of what is available to provide some balance to this squad,

No chancers, no crocks - a balanced squad of 22/23/24 all fit and who can contribute iwhen required.

That's some formation BR,22/23/24 shouldn't lose many with that.:D

The worrying think abut the Celtic game was that although Bunter hinted at resting players and almost sounded as if he had written the game off in advance, but to me it looked like our strongest starting team  - you might argue the odd position (e.g. Sneddon for Fox or  Saunders for O'Ware etc.) but on the whole that looked very much like our first eleven.

Be interesting to see what names come out the hat today.

22 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

This sums up the Caldwell legacy for me. Not just with us but with all his previous teams as well.

totally agree with you. nice article in Daily Record today re  McColl & how Neil Lennon helped him get Ayr job. Never been a fan of Lennon but credit where it is due. Tis is just part of the article :After spending four years out of the game as something of a managerial persona non grata, he was back in the hot seat at Ayr. He explained the Northern Irishman’s role in convincing Somerset Park chief Lachlan Cameron that McCall was on the straight and narrow. He said: “I owe Lenny a lot. I’ll always be indebted to him

1 hour ago, Jago1953 said:

totally agree with you. nice article in Daily Record today re  McColl & how Neil Lennon helped him get Ayr job. Never been a fan of Lennon but credit where it is due. Tis is just part of the article :After spending four years out of the game as something of a managerial persona non grata, he was back in the hot seat at Ayr. He explained the Northern Irishman’s role in convincing Somerset Park chief Lachlan Cameron that McCall was on the straight and narrow. He said: “I owe Lenny a lot. I’ll always be indebted to him

Whisper it, but I do have a lot of time for Lennon

17 hours ago, Big Col said:

Absolutely. A clean sheet will do wonders for confidence. It’s just a shame we don’t have anyone who can match Zanatta with pace when the ball gets played  to him to start a counter attack. 

It will be interesting to see how IMC plays Zanatta.

With Caldwell it was religiously down that left wing, with almost no variation.

Zanatta is good, but if you put two on him he becomes relatively ineffective.

I would hope someone with Zanatta's skill is told to play positionally where he sees he has the most to gain.

A draw would be excellent result today