Glasgow Cup Tie - Tuesday Evening

Fawlty Towers

12 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

{image of teams sheet

Cheers BB.  Looks like a young Celtic side apart from Hendry.  Celtic score in added time to get a draw, 1-1.  Looks like we had made a few subs, bringing a few of our youngsters on.  (I'm getting all this from the twitter feed which gave the Jags team but not Celtic's).  OK result I suppose.

That's me thawed oot. Result was about right. I'm assuming a Jags player (Palmer?) encroached into the Celtic wall at the free kick. Strange in so much I wouldn't have thought the free kick should've been taken. Sena's tackle was badly mistimed. Yellow probably correct but it wouldn't have been a shock if he had got a red.  Decent game of football from both sides tho' I didn't see anything performance wise from our senior players to suggest our recent starting XI should be altered to accommodate any of them. Sneddon tho' provided one superb save and did nothing wrong all night.

If I'm reading things correctly Brownlie won't be joining us till the summer. No idea if possible but I'd be pleased If we could get Jack Hendry on loan meantime. He strolled thru the game tonight and his style of play would also suit middle role in a back three. On the subject of centrebacks, McIntyre looks to have strengthened up considerably. He's only just turned 18 but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the first team squad sometime next season.

Btw Fair impressed with the Celtic No11, Armstrong Oko-Flex (?). Quite a handful and can ride a tackle.

• Like 1

What are the feelings on the standard of football and competitiveness?

Is the Glasgow cup a decent replacement for the reserve league, seems to have served it purpose in getting a few players return game time and given the younger players in the under 17 a chance to set up and play with the older pro's

Or are the games still played at a walking pace like many of last years reserve fixtures??

1 hour ago, Juanito said:

What are the feelings on the standard of football and competitiveness?

Is the Glasgow cup a decent replacement for the reserve league, seems to have served it purpose in getting a few players return game time and given the younger players in the under 17 a chance to set up and play with the older pro's

Or are the games still played at a walking pace like many of last years reserve fixtures??

Last night's game was played at a competitive pace more down to Celtic Colts than us. I'm maybe a bit blinkered as I enjoy these games more when our senior players are subbed. Last years reserves were a joke. We were playing very young players (I don't think we made a habit of recalling loan players) and should've been in the lower division for competitiveness. I still preferred the U20s as they played hard to win. It was only the overage players that often played under a different agenda.

I'd like to see a return to U20s or an U21s perhaps. Allow for a max of 2-3 overagers. Maybe a couple more on a reciprocal game to game basis. By that if the opposition want to play one or two more overagers we would have to agree and could match them if we wished.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would say unlucky losing a goal so late but to be honest the score flattered us.  2nd half was the most one sided game I’ve seen in a long time.  Rangers must have had about 20 corners.  Thought our young defence coped well with everything thrown at them with McIntyre and Sneddon stand outs but least said about Harkins, Mansell, Austin (apart from one burst of speed and decent cross), Jones and Slater the better which is disappointing as these are guys who are knocking on the first team door.  

Pass marks to Sneddon and some of the young guys. Austin, Mansell, Jones and Slater were  all very poor. Harkins was abysmal.  If it hadn't been for a mistake at the start of the game by their keeper we never would have scored.

Sneddon had some tremendous saves. Austin ended up playing at left back.

11 hours ago, elevenone said:

Would say unlucky losing a goal so late but to be honest the score flattered us.  2nd half was the most one sided game I’ve seen in a long time.  Rangers must have had about 20 corners.  Thought our young defence coped well with everything thrown at them with McIntyre and Sneddon stand outs but least said about Harkins, Mansell, Austin (apart from one burst of speed and decent cross), Jones and Slater the better which is disappointing as these are guys who are knocking on the exit door.  

FTFY :hypocrite:

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Two posts above are spot on. Nothing to add.

Would it be fair to say that a comment you made a while back about older players having a different agenda came into play?  That is, Rangers had a full team of young triers while we had half a team of older guys just playing to get fit and not taking any risks?

11 hours ago, Big Dan said:

Pass marks to Sneddon and some of the young guys. Austin, Mansell, Jones and Slater were  all very poor. Harkins was abysmal.  If it hadn't been for a mistake at the start of the game by their keeper we never would have scored.

Sneddon had some tremendous saves. Austin ended up playing at left back.

The sooner these 5 go the better, waste of a wage.

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

Would it be fair to say that a comment you made a while back about older players having a different agenda came into play?  That is, Rangers had a full team of young triers while we had half a team of older guys just playing to get fit and not taking any risks?

Think that was evident last night to some extent but I might just be feeling charitable. The contribution from the five outfield squad players was lamentable, they didn't even link up well with each other. Just perhaps they were told to not risk injury for one of two reasons?  Contrast that with Sneddon who was excellent .

The three up top produced next to no quality. Guessing, but Jones coming off ahead of Mansell indicates the former will be in the squad on Saturday. I can actually see the point in playing Harkins in these sort of matches and I'm inclined to think Slater was going thru the motions. The youngsters can at least learn from Harkins and Slater is better than last night.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

The sooner these 5 go the better, waste of a wage.

Maybe McCall played them last night to give them a message? If Graham arrives then Jones/Mansell will be well down the pecking order, as will Harkins since he's used as a 25min centre forward these days. With McCall signing another midfielder then Slater's position is in doubt too. Not sure about Austin, just back from injury and needs game time although McCall sees him in training each day. Even if he wants to move them on, they have to want to leave and then find another club of course. But hopefully some of them have a burning desire to play football and will accept a pay off.

But if they all left (and Graham arrived) we'd be down to 19 players, which is a bit tight and would require some more signings.....  In summary, I can't see them all leaving just yet.

• Like 1